Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Our Deltabot progress

Posted by reinoud 
Our Deltabot progress
March 14, 2011 09:44AM
Hi folks,

Yes, you might have thought the Delta bot design is dead-in-the-water, but its quite alive actually and still under active development. The calibration issue is solved now, the extruder had some setbacks most of all due to sheer lack-of-time, but the software is progressing. Its now in its integration stage.

However, to tease you folks a bit, i've tried to let it draw some images. See the Delta wiki page.

With regards,
Reinoud and Torsten
Re: Our Deltabot progress
March 16, 2011 01:20AM
Nice, any update on the firmware? I am building a Delta and would like to use your firmware with it if possible. Thanks, great work!

Rob
March 16, 2011 07:08AM
The firmware is still a work-in-progress... that's its main problem :-S Its code is still very volatile. I'll see if i can release it soonish.

What is your delta looking like? Is it stepper based? Is it a real delta or a 6 legged platform?

With regards,
Reinoud
March 16, 2011 01:11PM
It uses steppers and is very much like yours but uses gears instead of belts. I have everything cut except the upper arm/gear mounts which I will finish tonight and it should be assembled and moving by tomorrow.

Does your code interface with replicatorg or something else? I will need to modify the code for my own use anyway but if I had even a half-way working starting point that would be great. I am planning on using http://deltafimware.googlecode.com/ unless there is something better.

Thanks,
Rob
March 17, 2011 10:11AM
Hi Rob,

nice design! Hmm... we might borrow some ideas winking smiley

As of the firmware, that link you are referring to is an ancient version of our firmware. It is, just as the current one, communicating with the S3G protocol.

I'll see what i can do for the firmware.

With regards,
Reinoud
March 18, 2011 12:42AM
It's assembled, now it just needs some code to make it move... smiling smiley

March 18, 2011 04:40AM
However, to tease you folks a bit, i've tried to let it draw some images. See the Delta wiki page.
http://reprap.org/wiki/Delta#First_drawings_made
I saw that!

Extraordinarily nice bit of work, guys! Don't forget to ping the other devs working on Δ-bots in reprap-dev, btw. (This forum actually should be subsumed into reprap-dev, since you guys are devs who keep doing dev.)

Reinoud, Torsten, Rob, could you upload files for your machines to the wiki? grinning smiley I think Spacexula and I will want to do up a blog post on them, and the files are one of the important bits.

-Sebastien, RepRap.org library gnome.

Remember, you're all RepRap developers (once you've joined the super-secret developer mailing list), and the wiki, RepRap.org, [reprap.org] is for everyone and everything! grinning smiley
March 18, 2011 04:41AM
Rob, btw, is that waterjetted-aluminum? It looks very cool.

Also, do you think your machine will need torsion plates / cross-bracing on the three pillars?

-Sebastien, RepRap.org library gnome.

Remember, you're all RepRap developers (once you've joined the super-secret developer mailing list), and the wiki, RepRap.org, [reprap.org] is for everyone and everything! grinning smiley
March 18, 2011 12:08PM
I wish I had access to a waterjet smiling smiley It was cut on my Taig mill. I will post some plans after I get it moving and see if it needs modifications.
The threaded rod seemed pretty stiff at the store but for that length there is a little bit of movement. There were some that were about twice as thick, I may try those.

Thanks,
Rob
April 22, 2011 10:44AM
Hello,

i dont want to bother you, but I'm very interested in the progress of your delta reprap and very avid of any information.

Have you managed yet to get some objects 3D printed, last thing I saw was the plotted image, which looked already very promising?

Regards & thanks
Claude
September 01, 2011 12:10AM
I got a bit further with the Delta Printer but it wasn't pretty. If anyone is interested I have more info here.
http://www.robhopeless.com/2011/08/delta-robot-3d-printer-sounds-cool.html
September 05, 2011 03:54PM
(Just seen it on Hackaday)
I missed that you made a working firmware ! I believed it was the biggest gap to print with a deltabot...

And when reading that the laser attempt wasn't as good as expected I thought "lets put a bowden on it !!" ^^
(in case a little stepper is to heavy for the arms)
May 24, 2012 10:16AM
Back again after quite some time of inactivity! Yes i'm still busy with the Delta bot. In fact i'm busy rewriting the firmware and the software in general. We've been both far too busy but our goal is to have it print in the next few months for real!

The state of the bot is that i can hover at resonably high speed under 0.1 mm above the platform. The extruder motor part seems to be working and the extruder itself has been designed but not built yet. *sigh* i wish i had a 3d printer working winking smiley It now has to be build out of triplex and even though thats good for this stage it makes updating a bit harder since neither of us has a lasercutter for our own too.

Its nice to see there are other groups working on Delta bots too and i'm anxious to see the results. Hopefully next time i'll be able to show some more shots or even a printed part!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login