Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Does parallelity of arms matter?

Posted by mianwo 
Does parallelity of arms matter?
May 21, 2017 09:52PM
Built my dual extruder delta machine recently and had a couple successful print and a few bad ones.

While trying to calibrate it as perfectly as I can, I noticed that the "parallel" arms of my delta are not really parallel. The distance of the joints at effector is around 0.5 - 1mm wider than the joints at the carriages.

Is this something that absolutely needs to be corrected?

The problem is that I see no good way of fine tuning the distances, the way the diagonal rods are mounted means the only "adjustment" I can make is to add washers, which is not really adjustable at all... Also as I only need less than 1mm increase of the width, which means I may only be able to add washer at one of the mounts, making it unsymmetrical, which I'm not sure may cause even bigger problem or not.
Re: Does parallelity of arms matter?
May 22, 2017 01:16AM
Yes.

Post your design and someone may be able to determine a solution.
May 22, 2017 01:27AM
You can buy shims, which are thinner than washers and so provide a finer level of adjustment of bearing spacing.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
May 22, 2017 05:27AM
Alternatively you can print your own shims. That's what I did to customise the thickness for each pair of arms.
May 22, 2017 07:23AM
Or CAD up and print a new effector with the right spacing or a bit less that you could pad out with washers, much easier than printing or buying shims
May 22, 2017 08:37PM
I realised that the error is due to the mount screw holes have too much play, after loosen the screws all the mounts can move around a little bit.

Then I had a calliper set to correct width and use it as a guide to limit the mount movement before securing all the screws again.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login