Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Question about delta auto calibration and auto bed leveling

Posted by scanboy 
Question about delta auto calibration and auto bed leveling
July 12, 2017 06:04PM
Hi,

I just recently updated my marlin to 1.1.3, my first version with Delta Auto Calibration. I was previously using auto bed leveling feature and was quite happy. With the new version, I started experimenting with auto calibration. So my question is, if I use Auto calibration, do I still need auto bed leveling (assuming a flat enough bed)? I understand that they are 2 totally different features, but if auto calibration is doing it's probing base on the current bed level and calculate the needed adjustment for the 3 endstops, wouldn't this calculation already taking the bed leveling into consideration? Of course, no bed is 100% flat, and that's where auto bed leveling if good for, but if I have a pretty flat bed and if I were to use auto bed leveling, I would most likely be using the 3 point calibration, would auto bed leveling still provide benefits if I use auto calibration?
Thanks in advance.
Re: Question about delta auto calibration and auto bed leveling
July 13, 2017 03:30AM
If your build was perfect then auto calibration would be sufficient. In practice, large delta printers benefit from using mesh bed compensation after auto calibration, to handle residual height errors across the bed.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
LVD
July 13, 2017 08:22AM
Marlin provides in 7-point, 4-point and 1-point calibration that only sets the height in the center. I would advice to use the 7-point calibration with the tower angle corrections on top of the end-stops, height and delta radius of 4-point calibration; this in order to get the intermediate points between the towers better calibrated as well; it works for me (and many others) without the need of supplementary levelling. But it al depends on the quality of the build as @dc42 mentioned, and small delta's are indeed easier to get within specs that larger ones.
July 13, 2017 03:31PM
Thank you both for your reply, I don't think my build is perfect, that's the reason I'm looking into this auto calibration, I mean, I did my best trying to make everything square and even, but something like the tower angle can't be easily adjust, therefore, hoping auto calibration could correct my imperfect build.
Anyway thanks, I'll try the settings LVD had suggested and go from there.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login