Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Smart PCB effector

Posted by dc42 
Smart PCB effector
August 14, 2017 07:19PM
The Smart PCB effector is now available from the duet3d web shop, [www.duet3d.com]. It includes a strain gauge nozzle contact sensor (Z probe), connectors for the contact sensor/the/PT100 and for hot end heater/fan/lighting/print cooling fan, and LEDs to let you know what is going on. It's compatible with the E3DV6 hot end, magnetic rods and ball studs from Haydn Huntley, and linear rail sliders or wheeled carriages with 20x20mm fixing centres.

It's Open Hardware so the source files will be published within the next few days.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].

Re: Smart PCB effector
August 15, 2017 05:37AM
Yes! I've been waiting to see how this turned out. I don't yet see it on Filastruder for US distribution. Will Tim be getting any in for us yanks? On your sales site, I was going through the checkout process to see what a final cost as configured would look like. I'm getting a mandatory field to purchase an e3d v6, but I already own a few and don't intend on purchasing another... The text implies the base price includes a unique heatbreak but nothing else, which may not be correct. Did you intend to require the purchase of an e3d v6 with each order? If not, give us a "Heatsink only (included)" option in that drop down. Hope this helps!
August 15, 2017 06:56AM
Just leave the options box saying "Please select" to buy it without extra E3D parts. I expect Tim will want to distribute it.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

August 15, 2017 08:57AM
do you sell you kit without the e3d v6 heatsink (produced by e3d on our behalf).?
i have already many heads so no need to add extra cost on my finall list which is already expansive lol
August 15, 2017 10:57AM
The heatsink is a custom one to fit the effector, that's why we include it with the kit. There wasn't room on the effector for all the stuff you need to secure a groovemount heatsink.

August 15, 2017 05:28PM
Just placed my order. Very excited. Is the piezo somehow integrated into the pcb? or do we sandwich one in between the bolt and heatsink?

Do you have an stl for those carriages, or are they included with an order (The plastic parts, not the pcb)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/15/2017 05:40PM by clearlynotstefan.
August 15, 2017 07:04PM
I think it is an accelerometer and not a piezo... maybe wrong tho
August 15, 2017 08:00PM
You are both wrong, it's a strain gauge.

August 15, 2017 08:03PM
clearlynotstefan
Just placed my order. Very excited. Is the piezo somehow integrated into the pcb? or do we sandwich one in between the bolt and heatsink?

Do you have an stl for those carriages, or are they included with an order (The plastic parts, not the pcb)

If you mean the carriages in the photos on the wiki page, they are Robotdigg metal carriages.

August 16, 2017 07:41AM
dc42
You are both wrong, it's a strain gauge.

what kind of IC is it?
August 16, 2017 07:50AM
A strain gauge isn't usually an IC, it's typically a metal foil mounted on a substrate. We have 3 ICs on the effector to manage it: a voltage regulator to provide a clean power source, an amplifier to increase the signal, and a microcontroller to process the data.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/16/2017 07:51AM by dc42.

August 16, 2017 08:58AM
dc42
A strain gauge isn't usually an IC, it's typically a metal foil mounted on a substrate. We have 3 ICs on the effector to manage it: a voltage regulator to provide a clean power source, an amplifier to increase the signal, and a microcontroller to process the data.

Can also say having had one on my delta for some time that it works extremely well and routinely calibrates to less than 7 microns. and I also know that I could spend a few hours on the printer improving the geometry but it would be hours and probably wouldn't get it much better than it is.

Mine is fitted with a Zesty Nimble RDD Extruder and total weight of the whole thing is around 155 grammes

Doug
August 16, 2017 07:57PM
ah. I'm curious about it, where is it on the pcb? Could you take a pic smiling smiley
August 17, 2017 05:19AM
Qdeathstar
ah. I'm curious about it, where is it on the pcb? Could you take a pic smiling smiley

Picture of what exactly? if you mean the strain gauges then they are actually designed into the PCB Traces so not much to be seen on a photo (They can be seen as very fine traces in the copper by eye but they don't show up well on photos)
August 17, 2017 11:24AM
dougal1957
Qdeathstar

Picture of what exactly? if you mean the strain gauges then they are actually designed into the PCB Traces so not much to be seen on a photo (They can be seen as very fine traces in the copper by eye but they don't show up well on photos)

From the original photo, zoom in at 1:1 pixel:

August 17, 2017 03:19PM
dougal1957
Qdeathstar

Oh, ok. I didn't know they were printed on, that's pretty neat... does it detect change in capacitance?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/17/2017 03:19PM by Qdeathstar.
August 17, 2017 04:03PM
Qdeathstar
dougal1957
Qdeathstar

Oh, ok. I didn't know they were printed on, that's pretty neat... does it detect change in capacitance?

There are 6 of them in total and they detect very minute flexing of the PCB when the nozzle touches the bed I am getting sub 7 micron deviation on a autocal usually it is more often around 3-5 microns.

They work extremely well. and they are well worth the cost of £45 plus carriage and tax's were applicable, especially when you consider that they include the custom E3D Heatsink assembly.

Doug
August 20, 2017 02:35AM
Are there other version planned? For a Diamond hotend? I've seen the "dumb" PCB version for the Diamond and it looks very promising.
Not sure, how the strain gauges would work then...
August 20, 2017 03:21AM
I'm looking at a version for a Diamond hot end (as you say, the main design issue is how to get enough reading from the strain gauge elements) and a version for a Cartesian/CoreXY printer to carry a modified Titan Aero. But they won't happen very soon.

August 21, 2017 02:10PM
I am finding the smart effector works very well with Traxxas arms, if you don't want to go for magnetic arms immediately. I put my attempt at mounting posts on thingiverse (2492092). Getting very flat mesh calibration and accurately sized prints. The probe works wonderfully well.
August 22, 2017 02:22AM
AdrianR52
I am finding the smart effector works very well with Traxxas arms, if you don't want to go for magnetic arms immediately. I put my attempt at mounting posts on thingiverse (2492092). Getting very flat mesh calibration and accurately sized prints. The probe works wonderfully well.

That's good news!
I had trouble with my Kossel XL because of the Traxxas with 6mm rods and the weight of the Diamond hotend. It worked well with a single direct drive extruder, tho...
Now I could fit the current smart effector version with a Volcano hotend and upgrade later with the Diamond version and Mag-Rods. ( hope the magnets are strong enough for the diamond? )
August 24, 2017 02:31AM
Just got my Smart Effectorsmiling smiley

September 07, 2017 06:51PM
very simple and cool.

dc42 you are a geniuous.

100 points I love your Ideas.

A great Compliment !

Mein Club: [hackerspace-ffm.de]
RADDS-Shield -> Commercial [max3dshop.org]
September 08, 2017 03:17AM
In another thread I mentioned powdermetals cycloidal direct drive extruder.
I'm wondering if it would fit on the PCB like that? The gearbox housing could be redesigned to replace the nut. But it would be even better to fit the heatsink above the PCB and clamp it down with the M6 nut off the heatbarrier.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/08/2017 03:23AM by o_lampe.
September 13, 2017 02:42AM
Are there any other sources in Europe for Haydns mag-arms? It seems David is sold out on 360mm rods?
Will you get some stock anytime soon?
September 13, 2017 05:08AM
o_lampe
Are there any other sources in Europe for Haydns mag-arms? It seems David is sold out on 360mm rods?
Will you get some stock anytime soon?

Best place to ask is probably [www.duet3d.com]. The stocks are held by T3P3. I think more have been ordered but I don't know when they are due to arrive.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/13/2017 05:09AM by dc42.

September 15, 2017 12:59PM
Just went through this. This embedded strain gauge strained me to discover it ! Really smart indeed.

"A comical prototype doesn't mean a dumb idea is possible" (Thunderf00t)
September 16, 2017 01:49AM
dougal1957
Qdeathstar
dougal1957
Qdeathstar

There are 6 of them in total and they detect very minute flexing of the PCB when the nozzle touches the bed I am getting sub 7 micron deviation on a autocal usually it is more often around 3-5 microns.

They work extremely well. and they are well worth the cost of £45 plus carriage and tax's were applicable, especially when you consider that they include the custom E3D Heatsink assembly.

Doug

How are they arranged ? 6 ? What bridge?

"A comical prototype doesn't mean a dumb idea is possible" (Thunderf00t)
September 16, 2017 09:39AM
MKSA
dougal1957
Qdeathstar
dougal1957
Qdeathstar

Doug

How are they arranged ? 6 ? What bridge?

That I can't answer but the arrangement of them is 3 on each surface of the PCB at 120 Degrees apart and are actually part of the PCB Itself coupled with I believe a Rectifier/PSU chip and Amplifier and a CPU of some sort to actually hold the software that does the comparisons you would need to ask DC42 for the finer details or wait for the files to be released on Github if they haven't already
September 16, 2017 11:09AM
dougal1957
That I can't answer but the arrangement of them is 3 on each surface of the PCB at 120 Degrees apart and are actually part of the PCB Itself coupled with I believe a Rectifier/PSU chip and Amplifier and a CPU of some sort to actually hold the software that does the comparisons you would need to ask DC42 for the finer details or wait for the files to be released on Github if they haven't already

Hardware part of sources is already available: [github.com]
But I did not find part numbers of some components such as OP amp or LDO in SmartEffector_Schematic_v1.3.pdf file.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login