Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Shimming an Aluminium J-head to eliminate wobble

Posted by bradb 
Shimming an Aluminium J-head to eliminate wobble
September 02, 2017 09:19PM
I've been upgrading my Delta (Folger Kossel 2020). The upgrade plan includes a new E3D v6 hot end, and an Aus3d IR 1.4 z-probe.
With this set up, the fan clips onto the heat sink, and the z-probe mounts onto the fan. I built my Delta originally with an aluminium Effector,
so my the plan was to use one of the aluminium Circular/U-shaped groove mounts (Amazon) to attach the hot end.
The problem is that the groove mount was a fairly loose fit to the hot end. It left the hot end with way too much "wobble". In searching,
I found a post about using a wire as a shim, but little else. I also looked for shim washers to put between the hot end and the Effector, but
didn't find any suitable (16mm OD x 13 mmID x thin). So, I ended up making a set of shims from a disposable aluminium cake pan.
I initially tried a lighter weight disposable pan, but ended up using a heavy duty one.

I made one shim to go between the top of the groove mount and the top of the hot end groove. I happened to have a punch and die set
for the holes, but one as easily could cut slots instead. I also made a strip shims to go around the groove to tighten the radial fit (two strips
were required for a tight fit)

Here are the shims in place on the mount and hot end

This completely eliminated the play I was experiencing before shimming.
Re: Shimming an Aluminium J-head to eliminate wobble
November 13, 2017 10:31PM
Following Up -

With the above homemade shims the play was eliminated but the hot end could still rotate.
I found the following picture that showed a plastic washer, but had no luck finding any.

In finally found a set of metal shim washers designed for an RC truck that were the right size.

HPI Racing #86598 13x16x0.2mm These are readily available from several on-line vendors.

I put shims between the hot end and the effector, tightened the screws to the U-mount,
now everything is firmly fixed.
November 14, 2017 10:43AM
What effector is that?
November 14, 2017 11:55PM
The picture with the plastic washer I found on ebay. It's a fairly common M3 style aluminium effector.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login