Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Which hardware for Delta

Posted by albertdela 
Which hardware for Delta
January 17, 2018 04:31PM
Hello,
after I builded an Itopie, I would like to build a delta.
All is OK but I don't know which electronic hardware I have to use. It seems that some Delta run with 2560 and ramps 1.4 other run with 32 bits board.
So, does a Delta can run with a arduino Due and Ramps-FD and what is the difference between the two board. I think that with faster card the calculated interpolation is more precise.
So, does anyone can help me for this choice?

Sorry for English, I am french and of course bad English...

@+ ("see you" in English)

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/18/2018 01:29PM by albertdela.
Re: Which hardware for Delta
January 18, 2018 03:33AM
An Arduino Due with RADDS would be my choice, because it runs on the Delta firmware RepRapFirmware. The Duet controllers are even better, but a little more expensive.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/18/2018 03:34AM by o_lampe.
January 18, 2018 01:28PM
Sorry, bad english...

Ok, I think that's a very good choice. It's seems that arduino due is discontinued... I'll search...
thank's a lot
January 18, 2018 01:39PM
The Duet WiFi and Duet Ethernet are in current production, and unlike the Due/RADDS combo they provide a web interface, power monitoring and a faster processor. They also have 5 Trinamic drivers on board.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
January 18, 2018 02:34PM
Of course, it's more powerfull but it's 100 € more... at least...
January 18, 2018 05:23PM
albertdela

Don't forget that you need to add 4 stepper drivers to Due + RADDS. If you use decent drivers, the saving compared with a Duet will be much less.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

January 19, 2018 02:38AM
dc42
albertdela

Don't forget that you need to add 4 stepper drivers to Due + RADDS. If you use decent drivers, the saving compared with a Duet will be much less.

Sad but true sad smiley
I had to buy a Raspberry3 and a WIN8.1 tablet to have WiFi support and a display. Still the datatransfer rate sucks on RP3...
January 19, 2018 04:16PM
o_lampe
dc42
albertdela

Sad but true sad smiley
I had to buy a Raspberry3 and a WIN8.1 tablet to have WiFi support and a display. Still the datatransfer rate sucks on RP3...

Out of interest, what file transfer rate do you get over WiFi to the RP3 from a PC? Assuming it was the file transfer rate that you were referring to.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/19/2018 04:17PM by dc42.

January 20, 2018 02:55AM
Can't remember the WiFi transfer rate, but the worst thing is the transfer rate from RPi to the RADDS SD-card. ( djungle-drums are faster winking smiley )
You are forced to let the RPi act as printer host, which works better than using a WIN-PC, but still....
January 25, 2018 01:42PM
I have to say data transfer to a raspi 2 running Octoprint is faster than to my duet boards, that doesn't really matter on a practical basis as the time taken for even a large gcode file on either is still very modest compared to the print time! I'll time it later see what the difference is.

Simon Khoury

Co-founder of [www.precisionpiezo.co.uk] Accurate, repeatable, versatile Z-Probes
Published:Inventions
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login