Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Tiny Coffeemug Delta w. Mag-rods [WiP]

Posted by o_lampe 
Tiny Coffeemug Delta w. Mag-rods [WiP]
February 01, 2018 06:26AM
It's so cute, I have to show you a few pics.

The Mag-rods are made with Traxxas balls, 4x10mm N50 magnets glued in 5x0.5mm brass tubes ( 40mm long )
It's a lot of work to grind down the brass tubes until they allow a decent amount of sideways travel.

The carriers are as tiny as I could make them. They run pretty smooth on the 3mm rods. I haven't cut the thread for the lead screws yet, so I mounted them the wrong way. I just had to see the effector in action. grinning smiley

It might not produce any useful things, maybe I add a laserdiode for engraving or try to make a tiny hotend. We'll see.
Next step is to wire the steppers. I want to put the drivers on the outside of the sheetmetal and an Arduino Nano? underneath. Does Teacup work with Deltas?
Attachments:
open | download - carrier.jpg (41.6 KB)
open | download - effector.jpg (244 KB)
open | download - travel_up.jpg (169.6 KB)
open | download - travel_down.jpg (161.2 KB)
Re: Tiny Coffeemug Delta w. Mag-rods [WiP]
February 01, 2018 08:41AM
Looks great, really keen to see the hotend.

Simon Khoury

Co-founder of [www.precisionpiezo.co.uk] Accurate, repeatable, versatile Z-Probes
Published:Inventions
VDX
February 01, 2018 10:09AM
... reminds me of my first tripod 10 years ago - but he had "double-ball joints", so sligthly different kinematics:

[builders.reprap.org]

Viktor
--------
Aufruf zum Projekt "Müll-freie Meere" - [reprap.org] -- Deutsche Facebook-Gruppe - [www.facebook.com]

Call for the project "garbage-free seas" - [reprap.org]
February 03, 2018 11:35AM
I tried to melt the thread into the carriers. It worked OK, but they were way to tight.
So I had to design a helix into the .stl file which took me 12 iterations until I found the best settings for my printer. Now they run smooth and easy. PETG rules winking smiley

I made a q&d installation with two steppers running parallel on one driver. The third motor is on idle, until I find more A4988 drivers.
Now it runs without racking or skipping at travel speeds of 80mm/s grinning smiley Acceleration is 100mm/s², but It looks unbelievable fast.
Here's a video .

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/03/2018 11:48AM by o_lampe.
February 04, 2018 02:39AM
I might use it to stirr my coffee with a plastic spoon clamped in the effector. What do you think? smiling smiley
February 04, 2018 02:48AM
I've a pile of A4988s if you want a few. Looks great thats quite good acceleration and speed for such a small machine.

Stir your coffee why not, how about programming it to sign your name too.

Simon Khoury

Co-founder of [www.precisionpiezo.co.uk] Accurate, repeatable, versatile Z-Probes
Published:Inventions
February 05, 2018 12:17PM
I have to correct myself.
The acceleration was 100mm/s² in Marlin FW, but the eeprom settings were much higher. I noticed it, when I changed something else and hit M502 & M500. *damnMarlincrap*
The stepppers are at the very edge. They got very hot when I raised current, so they would move with effector. ( Vref=0.35V) I added a small heatsink to the sheetmetal, which is supposed to act as a heatsink too. Sure enough, the PLA got soft before I did this. eye rolling smiley
I also added some grease to the mag-rods/balls.
Made a video were it made some circles, but somehow my i-net connection is very slow and I can't upload it now.

During the testing, I noticed that I could make the diameter bigger. The rod-angles would then be a bit more stepper friendly.
Can't call it coffemug-size then anymore. More like a Cornflakes-bowl...

BTW: Two of the smooth rods are magnetic, the others are stainless. I noticed it, because the mag-arms suddenly sticked to them when they passed by during a very wide circle.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/05/2018 12:21PM by o_lampe.
February 06, 2018 02:22PM
I made a wider frame. Now the angles are better for the weak steppers. I can now move twice as fast then before, so I reduced Vref to 0.25V.

Here's a comparison video.
demo video
Attachments:
open | download - new_frame-compared.jpg (221.6 KB)
February 08, 2018 03:42AM
Another gadget I made with the DVD-steppers: A powder-extruder.
It works OK with very fine sugar, but it would be better with a vibrating motor ( from cell phones ) mounted to a side wall of the funnel.
Attachments:
open | download - powder-extruder.jpg (52 KB)
open | download - powder-extruder2.jpg (45.5 KB)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login