Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Micromake Delta noisy steppers

Posted by GITRDUN 
Micromake Delta noisy steppers
February 15, 2018 10:01AM
Bought a micromake delta and still fine tuning it. The steppers are LOUD and very choppy sounding. It has all the jumpers installed under the drivers. I turned the drivers voltages down from .6v to .45v and it still sounds terrible. Makes no difference at what speed its running they sound terrible at all speeds. Is this somewhat normal for this printer or am i missing something?
Re: Micromake Delta noisy steppers
February 15, 2018 10:36AM
Where does the noise come from?
The belt and pulleys match in size? GT2 belt on MXL pulleys or vice versa look like it would be right, but is off by 0.03 mm.
What kind of bearing do you use? Smooth rod and linear bearings can be very noisy.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/15/2018 10:38AM by o_lampe.
February 15, 2018 11:10AM
It is definitely motor noise. A lot of high frequency vibration.
Its a Micromake kossel machine. It has linear rails with ball bearing carriages. GT2 type belt and im sure the pulleys match but dont know positively.
Ill see if i can get a short video of it tonight and upload it.
February 15, 2018 11:51AM
Here is a video i found on Youtube of someone printing with one of these printers. Mine sounds just like this maybe a little louder though, hard to tell. My other printers do not sound this loud but are actually very smooth. I have Ramps 1.4 boards on my other printers, none of which are delta machines. Is it the cheap electronics board and drivers causing this? It has a Micromake Makeboard main board.

[youtu.be]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/15/2018 11:51AM by GITRDUN.
February 15, 2018 03:08PM
What type of stepper drivers are you using? A4988 variants or DRV8825s? The DRV8825 drivers have known issues with crazy harmonic noise unless carefully matched with the stepper motors, most kits seem to miss this point or are designed by people who are tone deaf.
February 15, 2018 04:45PM
The drivers are whatever came with the kit. They are not Pololu but probably a Chinese knock off. I do have a set of extra A4988's somewhere. Guess it cant hurt to throw those in and see what happens. Worst case something smokes and i have an excuse to toss the cheap electronics.
February 15, 2018 04:54PM
Doesn't matter if the drivers are clones or not, it's the basic chips on DRV8825s that are the cause of the harmonics problem, some sort of design flaw from what I recall. Swapping to 4988's should correct the problem, they seem to work with just about anything just fine.
February 20, 2018 08:47PM
Swapped the drivers and made no difference. Put in some .9* motors and whoala. Quiet as can be. However i think the cheapo mother board is having trouble keeping up with three .9* motors running at the same time. Couple more upgrades and this thing will be ready to roll.
February 21, 2018 02:51AM
You might have to reduce the "segments per second" parameter to compensate the higher CPU load for the 0.9° steppers.
February 21, 2018 09:40AM
Will give that a try.
February 21, 2018 06:35PM
Some motors are just not great. I had two which came attached to a dual mk8 extruder I was going to repurpose but they had a lot of detent torque and felt stiff and notchy, and they made a lot of noise. Set to full steps they could probably pull a train but I didn't need them to and they would have probably sounded like one.

Simon Khoury

Co-founder of [www.precisionpiezo.co.uk] Accurate, repeatable, versatile Z-Probes
Published:Inventions
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login