My first delta 3D printer

Posted by Gheorghe 
My first delta 3D printer
May 01, 2018 01:27PM
Hello again guys and girls!

So I finally decided to build a Delta printer. I'll mostly use this BOM:
[docs.google.com]
Thank you again Mr. Carter!

First order will be on Robotdigg, as I want to get that out of the way. I'm not sure how long they take to ship, but I'll update with pictures or video when I have new stuff to share.

My experience with deltas does not exist, so the things I'm not sure about in that list:

- The belt. I'd like to use a 9mm belt, for strength, but maybe I'm overreacting.

- I'm not sure if I want a 3D printed effector. I'll feel better with a aluminum one, for rigidity, but I was also looking at the Duet Smart PCB, and the Dumb PCB effector.

- I want to use the Prometheus System with the V2 Hot End, for PVA/ HIPS supports, so I'll have at least 2 extruders. I think I'll use Bondtech extruders because I like that they push from both sides.

Any help and advice is really appreciated. Treat me like a beginner.
Re: My first delta 3D printer
May 01, 2018 01:43PM
Gheorghe
First order will be on Robotdigg...

If you're gonna order Aluminum Vertices, and Carriages, and you're in the US. I have some that are barely used if you're interested.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/01/2018 01:49PM by FA-MAS.
May 01, 2018 01:52PM
Sorry I didn't mentioned. I'm eastern European, romanian to be exact.
Any reason you're selling that would be helpful in this topic?
May 01, 2018 01:57PM
I had originally modeled it in cad, and guess I didn't really make the correlation between the model and the size it would actually be. Basically it came out larger than I thought, and didn't pass the wife test. I would have downsized it, but I didn't have the tools to do it accurately enough.

Edit: And even though I thought I had it built super accurately, I couldn't get it to calibrate correctly. Probably because of a couple of the choices I made, I felt it too finicky and worried that it might go against on of my reasons for building it. I don't want to have to spend my time messing with it, I want to spend my time printing stuff.

Here's my thread: http://forums.reprap.org/read.php?178,788150,page=1

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 05/01/2018 02:07PM by FA-MAS.
May 02, 2018 03:19AM

I think I'll use Bondtech extruders because I like that they push from both sides.

I don't have experience with these, but IMHO the second drive gear is pure marketing bull$hit. It would be much better, if it had it's own motor. But now it's just a "follower" which adds friction losses and the motor invests more torque to bite into the filament instead of pushing it.
May 02, 2018 03:30AM
o_lampe

I think I'll use Bondtech extruders because I like that they push from both sides.

I don't have experience with these, but IMHO the second drive gear is pure marketing bull$hit. It would be much better, if it had it's own motor. But now it's just a "follower" which adds friction losses and the motor invests more torque to bite into the filament instead of pushing it.

As I understand it, the drive second gear isn't a follower, instead both drive gears are driven from the motor via 3:1 gearing. The motor won't necessarily need to invest more torque to bite into the filament, because to get the same force on the filament each drive gear will not need to bite into the filament as much as if there was just a single drive gear. In any case, 3:1 geared extruders driving 1.75mm filament are not normally short of motor torque.

I ordered a Bondtech BMG yesterday. When it arrives I will compare it with the Titan that I currently use on that printer.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
May 02, 2018 05:47AM
dc42
o_lampe

As I understand it, the drive second gear isn't a follower, instead both drive gears are driven from the motor via 3:1 gearing. The motor won't necessarily need to invest more torque to bite into the filament, because to get the same force on the filament each drive gear will not need to bite into the filament as much as if there was just a single drive gear. In any case, 3:1 geared extruders driving 1.75mm filament are not normally short of motor torque.

I ordered a Bondtech BMG yesterday. When it arrives I will compare it with the Titan that I currently use on that printer.

Do post a comparison and review. Will you be using it as a flying extruder , bowden or direct drive?
May 02, 2018 12:30PM
Vigilant
dc42

Do post a comparison and review. Will you be using it as a flying extruder , bowden or direct drive?

Will do! I'll be using it with a Bowden tube, maybe later I'll try flying extruder. The Titan generally works well for me except every now and then I can't load filament through it and I have to take it apart to find the problem. The Bondtech is almost double the price here in the UK, despite the BMG being their "low cost" version.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/02/2018 12:30PM by dc42.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
May 02, 2018 05:02PM
I have a Flying Bondtech BMG and it works really, really, really well.

I tried 3 extruder designs before that, (even one with a geared stepper motor for maximum pushing force) with like a 40-60 cm bowden, and I got so much problems... Either grinding trough the filament or not enough force to push it...

With the combination of a flying + Bondtech BMG I have no problem at all. And the small details comes out really great... Whereas in my other bowden printer I dont have such good results...

That my two cent on the topic, it is a purchase that I don't regret !

(Edit, Martin Bondeus answer himslef directly to mail, so as far as I am concerned the support is top !)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/02/2018 05:05PM by Archiclem.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login