complete kossel rebuild - need your wise advice
September 11, 2019 03:48AM
Hi everyone !

So let me introduce you to the project.

It all started with a failure from my smoothieboard.

I had a bad mosfet (always on, was powering the fan) for quite a long time... I already asked the smoothieboard team if it was a problem... And they said, no (except the fact it was always on).

And one day (July, just before my vacations), it decided to explode.

I was in the room next door and I smelled the rather nice burnt electronic perfume. I rarely let my machines print when I'm not here, usually I print overnight with smoke detectors in the room or during weekends.

So my board was dead (it really like "exploded,” and I think my power supply has seen better days.

It really makes you think... I started not to trust my printer anymore although this printer was running since 2016 with absolutely no problem (except for an always on mosfet).

It is my third printer, I have two (little) rostock (from the dawn...) that are still running to this day (self built also).

I really like this printer, it is my biggest and fastest printer, completely self-build.

So really don't know what happened. I think about two things : smoothieboard failure (maybe I will contact them but I know there answer) or bad crimping/wire from the fan.
Either way I want to rebuild my printer.

I already have the smart effector, linear rail, bondtech extruder...

So now I need to replace the electronics. I was thinking duet (which would be logic) + screen...

And I also need a complete BED, and may be driven by SSR (should have done it from the start...).

But I find it difficult to find a complete BED (hexagonal or round) + swappable bed for delta in 2019.

And also, I would like to buy pre-crimped cable that works with the smart effector (molex or that kind of thing) because now, I'm doubting my capabilities / not trusting smoothies connectors anymore. Where to find them ?

What do you think ? What is your advice ?
Attachments:
open | download - 247.IMG_20190911_093211.jpg (112.5 KB)
Re: complete kossel rebuild - need your wise advice
September 11, 2019 08:13AM
You might get some inspiration from my Kossel plans at [miscsolutions.wordpress.com]. For the bed I use an 5mm think aluminium disc with a silicone heater attached underneath, then I clip 4mm round glass beds to the top of it. On top of the glass I glue PEI or PrintBite, or sometimes use the glass surface plain if printing PLA.

The Duet can drive beds up to 15A easily, or 18A if you replace the fuse. With 24V power that take you up to about 400W. But deltas are very suited to AC mains voltage beds controlled by SSRs, because the bed is fixed; so that's what I use.

The Molex KK connectors used by the Duet are easy enough to crimp if you have a suitable crimping too. Popular crimping tools include HT-225D and PA-09.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/12/2019 02:16AM by dc42.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
September 11, 2019 01:14PM
Thank you so much for your answer... I have seen your guide, as it's from 2016 I was wondering if there were something you would do differently nowadays ?
I really don't know whats best between Maestro and regular duet 2 ? (in terms of connection with the smart effector / screen ?)

I will probably go for your solution, but where do you buy the silicone heater ? ( I've never used ebay before... but it seems the few videos / links I've found recommand to go there...)
And for the different molex parts/shells ? in your BOM I've seen you have mentioned RS online ?
September 12, 2019 02:42AM
Archiclem
Thank you so much for your answer... I have seen your guide, as it's from 2016 I was wondering if there were something you would do differently nowadays ?

The only change I've made is to replace the Titan extruder by a Bondtech, and to mount the extruder on the right tower instead of the back tower for greater accessibility.

I really don't know whats best between Maestro and regular duet 2 ? (in terms of connection with the smart effector / screen ?)

Both support the Smart Effector. The Maestro supports both PanelDue and 12864 displays such as the RepRapDiscount one. Duet WiFi/Ethernet support PanelDue only. The Maestro is a little fussier about the choice of stepper motors and on a delta I would only use it with 24V power.

I will probably go for your solution, but where do you buy the silicone heater ? ( I've never used ebay before... but it seems the few videos / links I've found recommand to go there...)

The main suppliers seem to be Shenzhen Ali Brother Technology, and Keenovo. Both offer a wide range of heaters and can make custom ones. Mine came from SABT, see [www.aliexpress.com].

And for the different molex parts/shells ? in your BOM I've seen you have mentioned RS online ?

If you buy a genuine Duet then the connectors are included.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login