Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

New build questions

Posted by SveGo 
New build questions
September 24, 2019 01:06PM
I'm currently planning to build a delta printer. I'm thinking of using the kossel design with the following specs:
- Metal corners
- 2040 profile for verticals
- Linear rails
- 25cm printable diameter
- (Min.) 30cm printable height
- e3d smart effector
- e3d v6 hotend
- Duet Wifi
- Traxxas arm connectors
- Possibly an atx power supply (nice and quet, good protections and i have them from old pc's)
- Still in doubt between bowden, remote-direct or floating extruder.

Preferably I would hide all the electronics underneath bed. (don't know if i can fit these with the kossel design...)

I have a few questions about my build:

1. How do I connect the traxxas arms to the effector? If I mount the metal ball head vertically does it have enough movement?
2. I read a lot about min/max arm angles for certain lengths. How do I calculate these angles? Is it just using the max distance from the verticals to the ball connector in the effector in pythagoras' formula.
3. How do I calculate the size of my horizonals to reach my printable area? I would like to have my bed inside the verticals.
4. How do I calculate the required length of the vertical beams?
Re: New build questions
September 24, 2019 01:53PM
The Smart Effector is designed to be used with magnetic arms, which are much better that Traxxas joints. For best resolution, use 0.9deg motors and 24V power. Have you seen my Kossel variant, which fits both the controller electronics and the PSU under the bed? See link in my signature for details. HTH David

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
September 24, 2019 08:01PM
Lose the Traxxas arms. Their only redeeming characteristic is they're cheap.
September 25, 2019 06:28AM
Ok, so no traxxas arms. I will have to invest in the magnetic arms then..

Are they available on a European webshop? Otherwise I will have to pay import/tax fees and that makes them extra expensive sad smiley (Living in The Netherlands)

How about the size calculations?
September 25, 2019 01:15PM
Duet3D stocks them in the UK in one size only: 360mm long.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login