Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Kinematic leveled delta printer bed, necessary?

Posted by patnap71 
Kinematic leveled delta printer bed, necessary?
September 27, 2019 05:24AM
Better to hard mount the bed or lay it on top of adjustable pedestals or can delta printers benefit from a bed mounted on a kinematic leveling system to allow the heat expansion of the aluminum?
I am designing a new delta printer from scratch and I thought it would be great to hear your thoughts on this.

Reference link: [drmrehorst.blogspot.com]
Re: Kinematic leveled delta printer bed, necessary?
September 30, 2019 09:57AM
I've PM'd with Mark (the_digital_dentist on these forums), the writer of that blog on this very subject. I've come up with some very workable designs. I'll see if I can dust them off and post them.

My 3D Printing YouTube Channel
Better Living Through 3D Printing

Follow me on Instagram and Twitter
Instagram
Twitter
September 30, 2019 04:41PM
The bed of my delta is mounted on 3 pillars about 20mm long attached to the lower triangular frame. They reduce heat conduction from the bed to the frame. I think they should also help to allow the bed to expand slightly by bending outwards a little, but I haven't done the sums.

The temperature gradient between the heated underside of the bed and the cooled top side will also cause the bed to deform.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
October 22, 2019 01:09PM
I was thinking, since I will have a plate surface to bolt down a 30mm piece of 20x20 Vslot and screw in (3) 10mm ball mounts under the 8mm ATP bed, the same ones from Hayden Huntley mag ball arms. So when it heats up the bed can expand and contract on the V channel and keep it centered.
I am gonna build a square enclosed 530mm bed delta, surrounded by 40x40 corners and (3) 40x60 extrusions for either MGN rails or SGR rails. 8mm 6061 top plate and bottom plate. 2080 extrusion wrap around and so I will put all the electronics on top with the 80mm height and cover it with vented smoked plexiglass and plexiglass bolted on the sides to stiffen it and a swing door on the front.

Anyone think 40x60's are too much or better off, maybe using 20x40 or 20x60?

Anyone here ever used SGR rails for a printer?

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 10/22/2019 02:50PM by patnap71.
LVD
October 23, 2019 05:54AM
The play needed for heat expantion is in the order of 0.1mm per joint; IMO any screw put in a V-groove should be able to handle that.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login