Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Centering Nozzle to bed

Posted by theliadir 
Centering Nozzle to bed
July 31, 2020 07:58AM
I have a delta printer with a dual nozzle mount. But for now just one nozzle is in use. Because of this design, the nozzle is not in the center of the printing bed.

red = center of the effector (and the bed)
green = nozzle offset

Is there a way to define a nozzle offset in the firmware (Marlin 1.1.9) or in a slicer (cura, prusa slicer, ...) so the nozzle is centered to the bed?

thx for any help.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/31/2020 07:59AM by theliadir.
Re: Centering Nozzle to bed
July 31, 2020 11:42AM
Marlin wont let you set E0 to anything but 0,0. The best solution I found was to leave both nozzles at 0,0 in Marlin then use the slicer to set the offsets of the nozzle. I didn't try PrusaSlicer but in Cura you can set the Extruder nozzle offset in Machine Settings, Extruder 1 or Extruder 2 tab.

[i.imgur.com]
July 31, 2020 07:00PM
I tried earlier with the offset in Cura but wasn't lucky.
But as for now I decided to replace the effector with a single nozzle design in the center for the moment.
In that case I can also use the whole printing area.
Thx for your answer/help.
August 01, 2020 02:59AM
theliadir
I tried earlier with the offset in Cura but wasn't lucky.
But as for now I decided to replace the effector with a single nozzle design in the center for the moment.
In that case I can also use the whole printing area.
Thx for your answer/help.

There are single-nozzle mixing hotends. I don't have experience with them, but I have seen some people use them with great success, even already as long as five years ago! I can imagine the technique has developed. The ones I've seen were also specifically designed for Delta printers.

Some examples:
[www.instructables.com]

[3dprinting.stackexchange.com]

Diamond hotend:
[reprap.org]

The only thing I'm missing in the Diamond hotend is a silicone sock.

And then there is this thing, but it's a new design and I have no clue if it works well:
[www.aliexpress.com]

[www.aliexpress.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/01/2020 04:54AM by Ohmarinus.

http://www.marinusdebeer.nl/
August 01, 2020 09:18AM
Ohmarinus
And then there is this thing, but it's a new design and I have no clue if it works well:
[www.aliexpress.com]

[www.aliexpress.com]
I have this hotend. I couldn't get it to stop jamming, even with a single filament. I never got to the bottom of it but it has this big PTFE "funnel" that I suspect was cut too short or was otherwise flawed. BIQU sells replacements but I didnt like the "funnel" design to continue. I made this 2 in 1 splitter that works fine [www.thingiverse.com] . Printed on its side then used drill bits by hand to round out all the pathways. Only problem with 2 in 1s is how wasteful the purge is.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/01/2020 09:20AM by thehankinator.
August 07, 2020 04:40PM
I saw that the is some development in the single-nozzle mixing hotends.
As thethinkinator stated, that its not possible to have an offset for E0 i decided to go the single nozzle way because:
1. I have more print area
2. There are/will be some good solution for single-nozzle mixing hotends.
3. Once I have calibrated my single nozzle delta I can "easily" add a mixing hotend later. (Without calibrating the delta again.)

And yeah, I already saw the diamond hot end. What a beauty. <3
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login