Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Rostock Max V2 - Help with new mainboard settings

Posted by RostockDude 
Rostock Max V2 - Help with new mainboard settings
September 10, 2020 01:47PM
Hello,

I have a Rostock Max v2 that have worked ok for many years. One day I decided to upgrade the original 8-bit mainboard to a 32-bit Bigtreetech SKR v1.4 Turbo.

All the main mechanics are still the same as the Rostock MAX v2 original.

I have tried to follow the guidance given in the Marlin firmware files (configuration.h) to use a generic delta profile from the Marlin 2.0.x library and modify it.

I have tried my best doing so and have successfully flashed the firmware onto the SKR 1.4 mainboard. I can connect to it with Pronterface and control the arms with the jog controls. However here is my problem.

The arms move really weirdly when I click the jog controls. If I try to move the effector on only X-axis 10 millimeters then the arms move in what could seem as a random movement, but it isn´t random but repeatable and predicatble. It´s just that it is moving in what seems like as if the effector was riding on the inside of a bowl. The further away from center it moves the more upwards the effector moves. And it also moves faster the further away from the center it moves.

I have tried reading a lot of similar threads on many forums and tried many differnet values in my Marlin configuration.h.

These are the values I have when typing M503 in the serial monitor:
>>> M503
SENDING:M503
echo:  G21    ; Units in mm (mm)
echo:  M149 C ; Units in Celsius
echo:; Filament settings: Disabled
echo:  M200 S0 D1.75
echo:; Steps per unit:
echo: M92 X80.00 Y80.00 Z80.00 E836.00
echo:; Maximum feedrates (units/s):
echo:  M203 X500.00 Y500.00 Z500.00 E25.00
echo:; Maximum Acceleration (units/s2):
echo:  M201 X9000.00 Y9000.00 Z9000.00 E10000.00
echo:; Acceleration (units/s2): P R T
echo:  M204 P3000.00 R3000.00 T3000.00
echo:; Advanced: B S T X Y Z E
echo:  M205 B20000.00 S0.00 T0.00 X10.00 Y10.00 Z10.00 E5.00
echo:; Endstop adjustment:
echo:  M666 X0.00 Y0.00 Z0.00
echo:; Delta settings: L R H S XYZ ABC
echo:  M665 L270.00 R135.20 H300.00 S200.00 X0.00 Y0.00 Z0.00 A0.00 B0.00 C0.00
echo:; Material heatup parameters:
echo:  M145 S0 H180 B70 F255
echo:  M145 S1 H240 B100 F255
echo:; PID settings:
echo:  M301 P22.20 I1.08 D114.00
echo:; Stepper driver current:
echo:  M906 X800 Y800 Z800
echo:  M906 T0 E800
echo:; Driver stepping mode:
echo:  M569 S1 X Y Z
echo:  M569 S1 T0 E

I dont know if I have measured correctly when measuring the arms and effector offset, but all measurements are the original from the Rostock Max v2 was when it was delivered. I have contacted SeeMeCNC for help but they referred me to a newer configuration.h file from ther repetier frimware. I don´t know which values I should use. I can post the whole configuration.h file and maybe a little movie clip if that helps.

Anyone who can help me though this.. I would be very grateful for any help!

Thank you very much in advance!
Re: Rostock Max V2 - Help with new mainboard settings
September 10, 2020 09:09PM
That's typically caused by an incorrect DELTA_RADIUS value. Try I don't know much about Repetier so I don't know if the values from that configuration are apples to apples to Marlin. Have you run auto-calibration in Marlin(G33) yet?
September 11, 2020 11:07AM
Thank you for your reply and assitance!

I read in a lot of places about a G33 auto-calibration process in Marlin. Itried sending the command G33 in the serial monitor promt but got a syntax error message back.

I dind´t dare to continue down that path until I knew what was wrong with the movement. Because if I try to move the effector up or down,,, the movement is so "skewed" that the effector runs out of the build area (mechanically reachable area) before I cn move the effector more than 10 cm up or down. I´m afraid of, if I send a G33 command successfully that it will forecefully jam itself into one of the towers almost immediately.

I tried using a caliper and measuring the radius manually by using the references from this image: mechanics.

That is how I came up with the values that I entered into configuration.h and what showed up in the M503 output.

If the radius is wrong, is it the setting that is called:
#define DELTA_PRINTABLE_RADIUS 290.0

or

#define DELTA_RADIUS 200         // (mm) Get this value from G33 auto calibrate

These are the values I have under the delta menu now:
//===========================================================================
//============================== Delta Settings =============================
//===========================================================================
// Enable DELTA kinematics and most of the default configuration for Deltas
#define DELTA

#if ENABLED(DELTA)

// Make delta curves from many straight lines (linear interpolation).
  // This is a trade-off between visible corners (not enough segments)
  // and processor overload (too many expensive sqrt calls).
  #define DELTA_SEGMENTS_PER_SECOND 200

// After homing move down to a height where XY movement is unconstrained
  //#define DELTA_HOME_TO_SAFE_ZONE

// Delta calibration menu
  // uncomment to add three points calibration menu option.
  // See [minow.blogspot.com]
  #define DELTA_CALIBRATION_MENU

// uncomment to add G33 Delta Auto-Calibration (Enable EEPROM_SETTINGS to store results)
  //#define DELTA_AUTO_CALIBRATION

// NOTE NB all values for DELTA_* values MUST be floating point, so always have a decimal point in them

#if ENABLED(DELTA_AUTO_CALIBRATION)
    // set the default number of probe points : n*n (1 -> 7)
    #define DELTA_CALIBRATION_DEFAULT_POINTS 4
  #endif

#if EITHER(DELTA_AUTO_CALIBRATION, DELTA_CALIBRATION_MENU)
    // Set the steprate for papertest probing
    #define PROBE_MANUALLY_STEP 0.05      // (mm)
  #endif

// Print surface diameter/2 minus unreachable space (avoid collisions with vertical towers).
  #define DELTA_PRINTABLE_RADIUS 290.0    // (mm)

// Center-to-center distance of the holes in the diagonal push rods.
  #define DELTA_DIAGONAL_ROD 270.0        // (mm)

// Distance between bed and nozzle Z home position
  #define DELTA_HEIGHT 300.00             // (mm) Get this value from G33 auto calibrate

#define DELTA_ENDSTOP_ADJ { 0.0, 0.0, 0.0 } // Get these values from G33 auto calibrate

// Horizontal distance bridged by diagonal push rods when effector is centered.
  #define DELTA_RADIUS 200              // (mm) Get this value from G33 auto calibrate

// Trim adjustments for individual towers
  // tower angle corrections for X and Y tower / rotate XYZ so Z tower angle = 0
  // measured in degrees anticlockwise looking from above the printer
  #define DELTA_TOWER_ANGLE_TRIM { 0.0, 0.0, 0.0 } // Get these values from G33 auto calibrate

// Delta radius and diagonal rod adjustments (mm)
  //#define DELTA_RADIUS_TRIM_TOWER { 0.0, 0.0, 0.0 }
  //#define DELTA_DIAGONAL_ROD_TRIM_TOWER { 0.0, 0.0, 0.0 }

#endif

I will try other values in these settings and try to see if it get better or worse.
September 11, 2020 11:53AM
I dig up the Repetier config for Max v2. It doesn't seem apples to apples but I think DELTA_RADIUS could be derived from this section of the Repetier config:
[github.com]
#define DELTA_DIAGONAL_ROD 291.06 // ball cup arms
#define DELTA_MAX_RADIUS 145.0
#define PRINTER_RADIUS 200.0
#define Z_MAX_LENGTH 350
#define END_EFFECTOR_HORIZONTAL_OFFSET 30.22
#define CARRIAGE_HORIZONTAL_OFFSET 26.5 // molded cheapskates

After selecting delta printer type on the config page (https://www.repetier.com/firmware/v100/index.php) it seems like DELTA_RADIUS = PRINTER_RADIUS - END_EFFECTOR_HORIZONTAL_OFFSET. So you could try setting DELTA_RADIUS to 169.78 and see how that changes things.
September 12, 2020 06:59AM
Thank you kindly for your assistance!

I will try this a soon as possible and report back. I also have recently learned that it is possible to temporarily change the radius with M665 R [X] where X in my case would be 169.78 in this trial. This might help someone in a similar situation as me. This would possibly speed up the trial and error part of this since I don´t have to rebuild the whole firmware and reflash the mainboard everytime to just change one value. This might have been self evident for more experienced users, but I´m learning as I go here. smiling smiley

To illustrate the problem I´m having is that my effektor has a movment pattern similar to this image that I found in a post by the user hercek in this thread Link on this forum.

Thank you thehankinator! I really appreciate your help! smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/12/2020 07:02AM by RostockDude.
September 12, 2020 07:57AM
Hell oagain,

I Itried the Radius value of 169.78 and it still was kind of weird. I also tried very high values and low values to see if the problem got better or worse. I still couldn´t understand if the value was too high or too low. I even tried values as low as 130 and as high as 200. I´m starting to suspect that there might be something else that is off aswell. confused smiley

I found one error that I corrected.. Maybe kind of obvious for experienced people. On a delta one of the XYZ motors needs to be inverted. I tried different combinations and finally got the printer to move all motors in the same direction when manually moving the effector in the Z-axis. This completely changed everything. The radius error still persists though. I cannot run the G33 command yet because I can´t home the any of the axis yet. It absolutely flies off i warp speed up and crashes violently into the endstops. Still, there is small progress. If I get homing working I imagine I can start trying to use the G33 delta calibration program. I will try to change the homing speed. This was the default value:
// Delta only homes to Z
#define HOMING_FEEDRATE_Z  (200*60)

Is there any command to change it without rebuilding the whole firmware? Vscode and platformio is giving me a hard time not working so well unfortunately (not loading platformio correctly, and redownloading and reinstalling extensions everytime I restart)

I tried finding the speed setting for "homing" in the config file. It seems to want to home in a absolutely insane speed. It makes the motors scream in pain during the travel. So now I´m trying to find that value.

Not easy this... eye rolling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/12/2020 08:02AM by RostockDude.
September 12, 2020 08:54AM
I tried changing the homing rate to a really low value to see whats going on. I set it to:
#define HOMING_FEEDRATE_Z  (10*60)

I can see that all endstop triggers are working using M119 command and holding the endstop switch down. This worked for X, Y and Z, illustrating only x_max below.

SENT: M119
READ: Reporting endstop status
READ: x_max: TRIGGERED
READ: y_max: open
READ: z_max: open

The problem is that the motors keep moving up one at least one axis and the motor starts skipping. So something isn´t registering the face that the endstop is triggered. So I haven´t been able to use G33 yet. Still trying to fix homing errors now.
September 12, 2020 09:27AM
Hmm that sounds like you may have the motors and endstops mixed up. I would verify your cabling that the motor on the X tower is wired to the X port on your controller. Same for Y and Z. Might as well do the same for your endstops - X tower, zmax, etc. If they are mixed up the controller could think the wrong motor has hit the an endstop and keep going.
September 12, 2020 09:58AM
You were indeed correct!
This is progress. The endstop sensors where connected in the wrong order. I can now home the printer and will try G33 command. smiling smiley

Thank you for your continued support!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/12/2020 09:59AM by RostockDude.
September 12, 2020 03:06PM
Thank you kindly dear thehankinator!

I´ve gotten my old printer to work again with a new 32-bit mainboard. This makes me immensly happy!
Just a little support and helping attitude gave me the extra energy to keep pushing. smiling smiley

It all works fine now! I just have to calibrate everything in finner detail now! smiling smiley
All the best! smileys with beer
September 12, 2020 03:10PM
I'm glad to hear you got it working, enjoy.
October 10, 2020 06:03AM
RostockDude
Thank you kindly dear thehankinator!

I´ve gotten my old printer to work again with a new 32-bit mainboard. This makes me immensly happy!
Just a little support and helping attitude gave me the extra energy to keep pushing. smiling smiley

It all works fine now! I just have to calibrate everything in finner detail now! smiling smiley
All the best! smileys with beer

hii!

can you share the Configuration.h and Configuration_adv.h?
I'm having problems in configurating my Rostock Max V2 with mks gen l.
Thank you!
January 28, 2023 09:47AM
Hello,
Sorry for the long absence. I have attached my custom config files here. Since it was a couple of years since I had the printer working, I cant guarantee that the settings are correct.
But hopefully it will help someone.
I am in the process of updating to the newest Marlin, and a lot of settings have changed. These files worked with MARLIN 2.0.x Configurations-release-2.0.6.
Attachments:
open | download - Configuration.h (83.7 KB)
open | download - Configuration_adv.h (122.9 KB)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login