Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Kossel Mini Auto Calibrate not working

Posted by Algie99 
Kossel Mini Auto Calibrate not working
September 23, 2020 02:07PM
I have just rebuilt a Kossel Mini from a donor T3P3 version 2 Kossel Mini. Still Ramps 14 with an E3D V6 hot end and Allen Key probe.

So, far I can only get this to run on Marlin 1.0.0. With any degree of certainty and it prints reasonably well. However, I would like to access the auto-calibration and bed leveling from the later versions. Can I do this with an allen key probe? I have tried 1.1.9 and 2.0 with similar results. Z probe is working properly.

When running auto-calibrate, the effector heads for the z tower ( x0, y,0 z100 not y30 if deploying probe) and slowly descends and then errors before reaching the bed. I have tried restoring defaults and wiping the eeprom. Occasionally the effector probes the centre of the bed a few times and then climbs in a spiral until it fouls a tower and I have to pull the power.

Googling returns mostly AnyCubic Kossel which is another motherboard and nothing ever goes wrong for them.....

Any help appreciated.

Algie99
Re: Kossel Mini Auto Calibrate not working
September 24, 2020 03:48PM
Allen key probe should work fine for auto calibrate.

Algie99
When running auto-calibrate, the effector heads for the z tower ( x0, y,0 z100 not y30 if deploying probe) and slowly descends and then errors before reaching the bed.
What's the error it gives? I've had this happen to me when the DELTA_HEIGHT was too small or NOZZLE_TO_PROBE_OFFSET is way off (z value in particular).

Algie99
Occasionally the effector probes the centre of the bed a few times and then climbs in a spiral until it fouls a tower and I have to pull the power.
I've never used an allen key probe but maybe allen key(or another part of the probe) is getting stuck and holding the microswitch in the closed position?

Are you using the config included in Marlin 1.1.9/2.X for the Kossel Mini or did you start with your own?
September 26, 2020 08:38AM
thehankinator
Allen key probe should work fine for auto calibrate.

That is good to know.

thehankinator
What's the error it gives? I've had this happen to me when the DELTA_HEIGHT was too small or NOZZLE_TO_PROBE_OFFSET is way off (z value in particular).

The error is just 'probe error' on the LCD and in Pronterprint. I have the G29 working on Marlin 1.1.0 with a configuration.h from T3P3. I also have all the measurements from dialing this in. The Z height is with 0.05mm and the tower check points were there as well.

thehankinator
I've never used an allen key probe but maybe allen key(or another part of the probe) is getting stuck and holding the microswitch in the closed position?

I think the probe is fine. I can hear it the switch clicking and if I reload Marlin 1.1.0 then it works immediately.

thehankinator
Are you using the config included in Marlin 1.1.9/2.X for the Kossel Mini or did you start with your own?

I have tried several routes to acheiving a config. Spent about 4 days banging my head against this. Several threw up compiling errors that I could not work out. It does not help that the difficult stuff moves around between Marlin releases eg the probe deployment rountine configs are in marlin_main.cpp in 1.1.0 and then they move to configuration.h for 1.1.9 and 2.0 as just the configs; I have no idea where the routine moved to and what variables it may be using. Problem A is the probe does not deploy correctly so is there another constant defined elsewhere but not mentioned? Searching through each document is too time consumimg and they rename things so you cannot always search. Bum!

The refusal to work is a constant in that the machine misbehaves in the same way for 1.1.9, 2.0, 2.0.6.1 and 2.0 bugfix. Something is not configured properly but where is it hiding? Could be a processing bottleneck so I have ordered an SKR 1.3 to see if this helps. I may be entering a whole new world of pain LOL. If that doesn't fix it my Tevo Tarantula can go 32bit. Also looking at Repetier firmware which suggest an Arduino Due and a RADDS board.

Thanks for your help. I will soldier on.

Cheers,

Algie99
September 27, 2020 06:37PM
Does the probe work if you use FIX_MOUNTED_PROBE type and manually deploy the probe? Have you checked that the probe and endstops behave as expected with M119? It seems unlikely that an SKR will solve your problems unless you use it to move to a new firmware (like ReprapFirmware). If you stick with Marlin 2.X, it should work, the presets worked for me (as in they compiled and auto-calibrate did it's job).
September 29, 2020 05:46PM
FIX_MOUNTED_PROBE worked, good call. Next to get the bed leveling to work. Bed leveling only auto homes.
September 29, 2020 05:51PM
What kind of bed leveling method is setup? Does it spit out any kind of error message after you run G29? I never had good luck with Bed leveling in Marlin...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/29/2020 05:55PM by thehankinator.
September 29, 2020 08:23PM
Using Bilinear. The kossel performs an auto home and that is it. No error message and printer will respond to next command. I will try some of the others.
September 29, 2020 08:37PM
Are you able to share your config?
September 30, 2020 05:07AM
There are reasons why T3P3 switched to Duet electronics and RepRapFirmware for their version 3 Mini Kossel kit!

I did the original conversion of a version 2 kit to Duet for them. It was my first experience of a Delta printer. It was when I realised how difficult it was to calibrate a delta printer whose towers were not quite at 120 degree intervals that I added least squares delta auto calibration to RepRapFirmware. That type of calibration has become the gold standard.

The Allen key probe on that kit mostly worked well, although I recall adjusting and lubricating it to stop it sticking in the wrong position. Z probes that are offset from the nozzle are not ideal on delta printers because they are affected by varying effector tilt; however the probe offset from the nozzle of that design was small enough to give acceptable results.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
September 30, 2020 02:42PM
These are the configs I am using at the moment. These came from Da Hai Zhu's calibration tutorial on Youtube.

[www.youtube.com]

They were matched up with Marlin 1.1.9 from Chris's Basement as every other version I downloaded was missing menu items used in the above tutorial.

[www.youtube.com]
Attachments:
open | download - Configuration.h (80.1 KB)
open | download - Configuration_adv.h (67.6 KB)
September 30, 2020 02:53PM
dc42
There are reasons why T3P3 switched to Duet electronics and RepRapFirmware for their version 3 Mini Kossel kit!

I did the original conversion of a version 2 kit to Duet for them. It was my first experience of a Delta printer. It was when I realised how difficult it was to calibrate a delta printer whose towers were not quite at 120 degree intervals that I added least squares delta auto calibration to RepRapFirmware. That type of calibration has become the gold standard.

The Allen key probe on that kit mostly worked well, although I recall adjusting and lubricating it to stop it sticking in the wrong position. Z probes that are offset from the nozzle are not ideal on delta printers because they are affected by varying effector tilt; however the probe offset from the nozzle of that design was small enough to give acceptable results.

Thanks dc42. I will keep an eye out for a second hand Duet. I want to keep the costs down. The auto calibrate has got me fairly well tuned in and I am getting a reasonable first layer now. I reprinted all the parts and built this up from scratch. The angles are pretty good. I think this is mismatched software and configs. Marlin keep moving and renaming things apart from dates and versions so it is impossible to track. The allen key probe is working well. Mine is a brass rod in a collette so no jams. It has a nice click I can hear. The T3P3 Marlin 1.0.x is running well but a pig to calibrate. I just wanted to get better figures for my geometry. My aim is to print mechnical clocks not learn Marlin to development level ;0)
September 30, 2020 03:33PM
Algie99
These are the configs I am using at the moment. These came from Da Hai Zhu's calibration tutorial on Youtube.

[www.youtube.com]

They were matched up with Marlin 1.1.9 from Chris's Basement as every other version I downloaded was missing menu items used in the above tutorial.

[www.youtube.com]
I compared your config to mine when I ran 1.1.9 and nothing jumps out at me as wrong. Are you downloading the official Marlin 1.1.9 source(https://github.com/MarlinFirmware/Marlin/releases/tag/1.1.9) or from somewhere else? If not official maybe it's some prerelease or otherwise tainted.

FWIW you can run RepRapFirmware on your SKR 1.3 [reprap.org]
My experience has been that RepRapFirmware is much more stable for a delta than Marlin. The discord channel has been very helpful to get it up and running.
September 30, 2020 05:11PM
I am working with the download from Chris's Basement Youtube Channel. The official Marlin is now 1.1.9.1 and has had the Set Z Height menu item removed. The bed leveling has only worked for me on 1.0.x. I have tried multiple versions of Marlin and they all messed around. The example configs for Kossel Mini have nothing in the menus, no preheats etc.

I will take a look at RepRapFirmware.
October 02, 2020 05:15AM
Cracked it. I had left the DEBUG turned off due to memory demands. I turned it on and the G29 was being rejected due to out of bounds. The allen key probe is +22 on Y and the MIN_PROBE_EDGE was 10 at line 1128. Set this to 23 and it starts to probe but then fails with Probe Error. Line 906 Z_PROBE_LOW_POINT was -2. I am guessing this has to allow for the probe height offset and -2 is too small I tried -20 and the G29 runs successfully. Woohoo!

I take that back, the printer is now insane when printing. C'est la vie.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/02/2020 05:42AM by Algie99.
October 02, 2020 05:21AM
I had a look at the RepRapFirmware and I am not sure if I can use the SKR 1.3 on a Kossel Mini. It read something like the LPC1768 port works with less memory than the standard install and I would need the dc42 branch to implement a delta install correctly. So, the SKR 1.3 doesnt have enough memory to handle the delta. I may be reading this wrong. I am looking for an older Duet board on eBay.
October 02, 2020 08:55AM
I'm running RepRapFirmware on an LPC1768 with my delta no problem. There are limitations with the LPC port but machine type is not one of them. I highly recommend stopping by the discord channel, in the LPC port post [reprap.org] . Everyone there has been super helpful to get people's printers up and running (including delta).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/02/2020 08:56AM by thehankinator.
October 02, 2020 03:59PM
OK. Are you just using the SKR 1.3 or do you have a Pi or ESP8266 module? I only have a BTT TFT24 and it remains blank.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/02/2020 04:22PM by Algie99.
October 02, 2020 04:03PM
I am using a Re-Arm + ESP8266. Before I got the ESP I just connected up my RRD full graphics display and it worked fine but the ESP with the web interface is really nice.
October 02, 2020 04:34PM
I looked at the Re-Arm and I think I couldn't get a RADDS or Smart Ramps to go with it. I have got the SKR talking to Pronterface but no touch screen. I have ordered some jst connectors to connect up the kossel's RAMPS wiring. The ESP board are going to have to come from overseas so I may shelve this for a while.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/02/2020 04:41PM by Algie99.
October 02, 2020 05:11PM
Now I remember that was an Arduino Due. The Re-Arm is still a normal RAMPS board. That would be a better option for me as not much space inside the base.
October 02, 2020 05:47PM
It is certainly the path of least resistance if you already have a RAMPS installed.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login