Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Hotend Temperature dropping

Posted by theliadir 
Hotend Temperature dropping
December 05, 2020 05:38PM
Hello everyone

I'm installing a fan to a kossel like delta printer to cool the print area.
My problem is, that the hot end temperature is dropping as soon as the fan starts spinning.

My hardware:
- ramps 1.4
- Rostock like

My software:
- custom marlin 1.1.9 (config.h attached)

I have two fans to chose from. One fan is less powerful than the other. (both are 12V) (less powerfull means less rpm.)
When I use the one which is more powerful, the printing temp drops from 220° to 212° and the prints stops due to an error.
I can only use the one which is less powerfull. When its starts cooling/spinning the temp drops a few degrees but the printer is able to compensate after a few seconds.
But the problem with this fan is, that he is not able to cool overhangs and bridging very well. Thats why I ordered a more powerful one.
I only noticed the temp drop after I installed the newer and more powerful one.

side note: What I thought is strange, that I wasn't able to control the new fan. It only starts spinning at 100%. (I will recheck that proberly.)

I thought that maybe the air flow is also cooling the heat block, but as I can say the air flow shouldn't hit the heat block.

Here some pictures of my extruder:

Someone any ideas?
Attachments:
open | download - Configuration.h (78.5 KB)
Re: Hotend Temperature dropping
December 06, 2020 03:05AM
This is why we implanted feedforward heater control in RepRapFirmware.This temperature plot shows the effect of turning the print cooling fan on at about time 18, and off again at time 106.

To reduce the amount of temperature drop, use a silicone sock on the heater block, and make sure the air is directed at the print not the nozzle or heater block.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/06/2020 03:24AM by dc42.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].

December 06, 2020 08:53AM
Oh man, I completly forgot about the silicone blocks.
Thank you for the tip.
I just ordered one.
I will keep you updated.
December 08, 2020 12:48PM
The silicone block resolved the problem. :-)
Thank you.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login