Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Trying to revive my old Kossel Mini, what FW to use?

Posted by Eddy 
Trying to revive my old Kossel Mini, what FW to use?
December 14, 2020 11:00AM
Hi,
So I decided to blow some dust off of my Kossel Mini that i purchased from Think3DPrint3D in the UK about 5 years ago.

I am seeing all kinds of problems when trying to load firmware from Arduino over to the printer's Mega 2560.

I have tried both going all new on both Arduino and marlin firmware, and also finding the firmware that came with the printer (found it in an e-mail from 2015..) paired with the Arduino version that was available at the time (easy to find from blog posts).
I have also tried variations the above "tactics".

First of all; is my Arduino board restricted to any previous versions of firmware or Arduino versions? Some of the errors I get is saying that my firmware is in an old "language". But using the "fix and reload" function doesn't do anything.

BN: Arduino/Genuino Mega or Mega 2560
VID: 2341
PID: 0042
SN: 754393134373519151C1

So I'm at a standstill right now... I got one combination of versions to actually upload to the Arduino Board, but nothing worked; none of the mations were anywhere near correct, and both temperatures were reading wrong..
Re: Trying to revive my old Kossel Mini, what FW to use?
December 14, 2020 12:32PM
Maybe try this fork of Marlin 1.1.9: [github.com] - you may need to tweak the particular delta parms in configuration.h, but you have to calibrate after you get it loaded anyways.
It will compile with this Arduino version: [www.arduino.cc]

My guess is that the original firmware is a pre-1.1.x release Marlin, and used an old, deprecated version of Arduino to compile and that's where most of your problem is coming from.

You could try following this guide: [github.com]

Technically, that's for FLSun's Kossel mini, but unless you've got something particularly exotic on your hands, it'll likely get you going anyways. The majority of this class of printer are running largely interchangeable hardware, just vary in dimensions.
December 14, 2020 03:38PM
Gecko23
Maybe try this fork of Marlin 1.1.9: [github.com] - you may need to tweak the particular delta parms in configuration.h, but you have to calibrate after you get it loaded anyways.
It will compile with this Arduino version: [www.arduino.cc]

My guess is that the original firmware is a pre-1.1.x release Marlin, and used an old, deprecated version of Arduino to compile and that's where most of your problem is coming from.

You could try following this guide: [github.com]

Technically, that's for FLSun's Kossel mini, but unless you've got something particularly exotic on your hands, it'll likely get you going anyways. The majority of this class of printer are running largely interchangeable hardware, just vary in dimensions.

Thank you so much for your reply, Gecko23! I tried your first suggestion, and it got me right in, fantastic!! It's moving in all directions, it's showing the rght temperatures and everything grinning smiley

I have not tried any printing yet, as I have a lot (well all is relative) to be up and running fully, but I'll get there smiling smiley

Btw: I read in FLsun's procedure that he really recommends repetier host. Is this a common recommendation, or is it just him? I'm using Slic3r and pronterface for now, which is what "came with" the printer at the time.
December 18, 2020 09:40AM
Just him. smiling smiley Technically there's no specific software requirement for that printer. You can continue with that setup, or switch to whatever control or slicer software you prefer.

That's the software combo I started with, worked fine, I just wanted my printers to be untethered so I switched to Octoprint.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login