Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Metal ball joints source?

Posted by Nxt-1 
Metal ball joints source?
August 10, 2021 02:43PM
I have been using plastic MP Jet ball joints on my large delta for a while now. I want to rebuild and replace the arms and am looking for larger diameter CF tubes (got those already) and metal instead of plastic joints. Or at the very least stiffer alternatives.

Since the current V1 types I used seem high quality and have served me will I looked into the V3 types from MP Jet. I orderd a full set of these without thinking it fully through and they are absolutelty tiny. While the size would probably be fine in terms of stiffness, they seem quite impossible to mount and get a decend range of motion out of them (I need about 20° from centerline in either direction). The rotating ball itself is shaped in such a way that you'd need custom made fasters to get some range and it's furter complicated by the hole only being 2mm diameter and thus all faster features being absolutely tiny.

So the TL;DR becomes: I am looking for metal ball joints with 20° range of motion either side.
Re: Metal ball joints source?
August 10, 2021 02:59PM
The MP Jet joints you pointed at do seem far too small. I would suggest searching for "rose joint" or "Rod End" on Google. Alternatively you could also look at Igus ball joints [www.igus.co.uk] which are either partly plastic or all plastic but out-perform most all metal ball joints. Another possible is to look at magnetic joints - use Haydn Huntley's joints [www.magballarms.com] Don't make your own magnetic joints unless you have studied how they actually work as you can fall int a trap.
Re: Metal ball joints source?
August 10, 2021 04:34PM
Thanks for the prompt reply.

Rose joint is a new term for me, I have tried rod end and ball joint before and results are plenty. The difficulty lies is separating crappy from non-crappy smiling smiley . Before your reply I was looking into the POSA(5) series, popular with our overseas buddies. They are cheap, allow for M5 bolts (with come in partially threaded version of the getgo) but do risk being proper chinesium quality.

For varius reason and with the risk of starting the magtenic/non magnetic discussing, I will not be getting magnetics ones.

The Igus joints do tickle my interest. I never knew igus made those type of joints too. They are not cheap at 3-4 euro a pieces but they are from a reputable brand name, so I guess you get what you pay for. If any one has experience with ball joints from igus, be sure to share your experiences smiling smiley
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login