Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Makerbot + Frostruder = good combination?

Posted by unfold 
Makerbot + Frostruder = good combination?
June 13, 2010 03:58PM
Hi all,

I was wondering if anyone has already tested a frostruder on a makerbot? We have been using a frostruder inspired design on a Bits form Bytes Rapman for a while to print ceramics (unfoldfab.blogspot.com). I think it will be hard to do the same with a makerbot (or mendel) for the simple reason that the platform with the object moves during printing. Maybe with a slow speed but probably not very fast. Opposite to extruded molten plastic, the object needs to air dry which takes hours at least and so stays very unstable during the print. A sudden move can make your object collapse. But I am really curious if people have actually tried it?
Re: Makerbot + Frostruder = good combination?
June 13, 2010 06:39PM
Could you speed drying with a heated bed, and by very gently blowing dry, warm air onto the object? I'm not sure about the current state of the acceleration code, but that would seriously increase print speed.
VDX
June 14, 2010 03:36AM
... i was tinkering with dispensing a paste mixed from glass-microspheres and waterglass, thats relative fast drying/hardening at open air but stays fluid in the cartouche.

Another possibility is a diodelaser-head following the paste extruder and heating the tray for curing it ... or an aerial IR-heater moving over the complete build-area after every outputted slice ...

Viktor
--------
Aufruf zum Projekt "Müll-freie Meere" - [reprap.org] -- Deutsche Facebook-Gruppe - [www.facebook.com]

Call for the project "garbage-free seas" - [reprap.org]
June 14, 2010 03:49AM
Should give that a try when I have a heated bed. But that would not work for all materials I suppose.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login