Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

gen 7 electronics with parallel port bootstrap load need instructions

Posted by terramir 
gen 7 electronics with parallel port bootstrap load need instructions
February 05, 2012 02:19AM
Hi
okies there are plenty of firmwares out there, And well I am almost done getting my electronics together ,
but I got some questions
#1 I read that the sanguino boot loader preprogrammed ones work with the gen7, but I am programming from scratch, are there different boot loaders for different firmwares/ any compatibility issues.
#2 I read some good things about the marlin firmware, anyway to make that firmware compatible?
#3 what are the differences between the currently known compatible firmwares.
#4 What software will I need to convert the STL files to something the firmwares can read,
#5 what combo would you recommend and why?
#6 in regards to uploading the boot loader what should I watch out for with a self made parallel port cable?

Any comments would be appreciated.
terramir
Re: gen 7 electronics with parallel port bootstrap load need instructions
February 06, 2012 05:09AM
Hi terramir!

#1 As far as I know the bootloader should be firmware independent cause it's only function is to load the compiled code through the serial connection.
As an alternative you could also load the program through a programmer and skip the bootloader.
#2 Recently I've got Marlinv1.0 running on my GEN7 Board. But there had been several issues which had to be fixed in code and hardware.
For example if you want complete LCD and SDSupport in Marlin the available flash memory of the ATMega644(P) is too small for the hex. (replaced it with ATMega1284P). Firmware based "power on" is also an issue dealing with LCD displays which can be fixed in hardware and/or firmware.
Cause the tests with Marlin aren't completed jet I haven't documented anything about it but expect an articel on reprap.org soon.
#3 rtfm
#4 skeinforge,sfact, slic3r...
February 07, 2012 01:08PM
Parallel cable programmers can be problematic. I would say try it but be prepared to dump it quick for a real programmer if it doesn't work. I tried and failed to get a parallel programmer to work and ended up with a USB tiny programmer that works fine for $15 or so.
February 07, 2012 05:32PM
scuba Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Hi terramir!
>
> #1 As far as I know the bootloader should be
> firmware independent cause it's only function is
> to load the compiled code through the serial
> connection.
> As an alternative you could also load the program
> through a programmer and skip the bootloader.
> #2 Recently I've got Marlinv1.0 running on my GEN7
> Board. But there had been several issues which had
> to be fixed in code and hardware.
> For example if you want complete LCD and SDSupport
> in Marlin the available flash memory of the
> ATMega644(P) is too small for the hex. (replaced
> it with ATMega1284P). Firmware based "power on" is
> also an issue dealing with LCD displays which can
> be fixed in hardware and/or firmware.
> Cause the tests with Marlin aren't completed jet I
> haven't documented anything about it but expect an
> articel on reprap.org soon.
> #3 rtfm
> #4 skeinforge,sfact, slic3r...
Not really interested in the sd card or lcd support right now Just in the speed of marlin smiling smiley
please do document soon smiling smiley but for now which software should I go with and which bootloader so I can easily upgrade to a marlin firmware laters (but still work with teacup 5d or what ever you guys recommend.
bryanandaimee Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Parallel cable programmers can be problematic. I
> would say try it but be prepared to dump it quick
> for a real programmer if it doesn't work. I tried
> and failed to get a parallel programmer to work
> and ended up with a USB tiny programmer that works
> fine for $15 or so.
Hmmm I have one of those serial port programmers laying around if I remember correctly it was for both atmega and pic processors but that means digging it out so I'll wait and see if the atmega gives me problems first before I go digging smiling smiley bryan any recommendations in regards to firmware, boot loader etc.?
terramir
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login