Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Firmware Reverted?

Posted by foshon 
Firmware Reverted?
March 26, 2012 11:04AM
Alright after I printed my first useable parts and replaced my mosfet and resistor, I decided to tighten up the calibration of my x and y a bit more before trying a more complex part. I took the measurements calculated the changes and tried to upload it would not take, even after several reboots and restarts. I thought maybe I smoked that portion of the chip and tried my spare, everything works (loaded with test from Markus) and I recieve the serial output from the board. I cannot upload to this one either.

So I put the original chip back in and decide to print something anyhow. My speeds (and extrusion settings) are back to what they were a month ago. What might have caused this?? I did not think it was possible for a eeprom to self revert. Could something else have happened? Why can't I upload now?
Re: Firmware Reverted?
March 26, 2012 12:57PM
if serial works and you can print then I would suspect the reset line is not connected . I would desolder and resolder all the connections between reset and the USB-serial cable connector. Which firmware are you using?
March 26, 2012 03:33PM
I checked the switch by metering the path to ground on the jumper wire on the top of the board. the button successfully grounds the pin. Here's another oddity, I upgraded to Arduino 23 and replaced the Gen7 tools with a new set. My first attempt at uploaded errors with a pin error. I tried it again and it worked? WTF? This is the same firmware I have had on this board for 6 months, only minor speed changes made. Why now?
March 27, 2012 07:08AM
Only two things in firmware influence the speed of your head:

- MAXIMUM_FEEDRATE settings. As the name implies, this is the maximum, so anything below that should be fine.

- STEPS_PER_MM / STEPS_PER_M. This not only influences speed, but also dimensions. So, if you send a X100 and the head actually moves 100mm, you're fine.

Any other speed settings are coming in via G-code, so you might want to have a look at which F commands are sent.

Regarding reset: About all electronics support auto-reset, which resets the ATmega when establishing a serial connection. Not all USB-TTL adapters do, though. Non-working auto-reset means you get timeout-errors. In such a case. hit the mechanical reset button just before your compiler starts uploading.

If this still doesn't help, it might be useful if you tell us which electronics, which compiler (Arduino IDE?) and which firmware you try on. If there are error messages, please copy them here.

Generation 7 Electronics Teacup Firmware RepRap DIY

March 29, 2012 11:00PM
Traumflug,

Thanks for the reply. It did finally take the upload, but only after erroring once. The speeds I changed to are lower then the speeds it was happy printing at. I am still lost as to why it happened. I did install .net versions 1-3 between my last sucessful upload and the problems. I am left assuming that those installations somehow conflicted with the version of Arduino I was using (18). After upgrading all seems well. I even printed a new x-idler end for my machine.

I will also mention, while your here, a confirmation that the mosfet and resistor upgrade made a HUGE change in the heat output of the mosfet. Also there was worry stated about possible noise from the mosfet, I did not have any issue with this. My heated bed seems to heat up faster, achieve a higher temperature, and hold tempurature better than it ever has.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login