Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Standby wire won't stay low

Posted by Glow 
Standby wire won't stay low
March 09, 2013 04:25PM
So I recently soldered together some gen 7 v1.5 electronics. The board was purchased through Traumflug. I started running through the checks here. The standby (yellow) led turns on just fine when I plug in the PSU. However, when I short the standby (green) wire of the PSU the best I could do was get the fan to spin up for a second and then it just shut off again. The green LED (bottom right corner) turned on for this long as well. All the voltages on the ATmega slot measured as expected.

Just to try something else, I burned the bootloader and this diagnostic program onto my chip. I put the chip on the board and the fan+LED only get a quick blip of power. The serial communication is working fine during the diagnostic program.

I don't know if it's of any help, but a picture of the board is here.

Thanks for any help.

Edit: I meant to add that I've tried 2 power supplies.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/09/2013 04:27PM by Glow.
Re: Standby wire won't stay low
March 11, 2013 02:45PM
That sounds an awful lot like some kind of short circuit protection is kicking in...you might want to check each of the 5V and 12V pins against ground and each other on the atx connector.
March 11, 2013 09:00PM
There does indeed seem to be a short circuit somewhere... Any tips on locating it? Holding the board to the light highlights the isolating traces really well and I don't see any solder bridges.
March 11, 2013 09:09PM
I spoke prematurely. Holding it up to the light for a third and fourth time made me find some tiny solder bridges. At this point if I jump the standby wire the PSU spins up and the LED stays on. I'll post if I have any other problems but thanks a lot for the help.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login