Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

AtMega 1284P-PU Getting hot

Posted by davidsan242 
AtMega 1284P-PU Getting hot
November 10, 2013 01:02PM
Hello everyone

I'm testing my newly built Gen 7 1.5 with Teacup firmware and Pronterface. I feed the attached gcode file to make a test (this file makes the stepper motors play the imperial march) and I nottice two things: 1 - The AtMega 1884P-PU gets a little bit hot. 2 - The file is processed just about 3.1% and then stops.

I havent configured the firmware yet.

My question is wheter is normal both of the aspects mentioned above.

Thanks
Attachments:
open | download - imperial.gcode (17.1 KB)
Re: AtMega 1284P-PU Getting hot
November 10, 2013 06:44PM
Check your voltages.
If everything is normal, can you read the temp on the top of the chip?
If not, stick some sort of heatsink on top of it, can be anything, a bolt, small chunk of aluminum, attach with a dab of hot glue or equivalent and see if that helps.
November 11, 2013 06:12AM

The AtMega 1884P-PU gets a little bit hot.

This is a hint you have a short somewhere.The ATmega shouldn't raise it's temperature noticable, or more than 2 °C. I'd start searching by removing all stepper drivers. The controller should still respond normally on the PC side.

stick some sort of heatsink on top of it

OUCH!

The file is processed just about 3.1% and then stops.

Interesting file you have there. To me it exposes two bugs:

- Pronterface can't analyse it, print size is zero in all directions, which is clearly wrong.

- Teacup can't deal with such an excessive number of digits left to the decimal point. Three digits there are sufficient to achieve maximum resolution, so every additional digit is just waste. I've attached a version with these shortened, which runs just fine.

Generation 7 Electronics Teacup Firmware RepRap DIY

Attachments:
open | download - imperial2.gcode (8.8 KB)
November 11, 2013 06:42PM
Hi

I ran some tests.

1. Now the file executes 100% (Thanks!!)

2. I left the Gen 7 with thew power on for a while and the stepper mottors on, without moving the motors. It still gets "noticeable" hot.

3. I removed the pololus and left the board on for a while (after letting it cool) and stills get hot.

Any advice?

By the way I'm a newbie in soldering, though a visual inspection of the board shows no solders together. Also, I made the voltage tests before inserting the ATMega and everything was as expected. I haven't inserted the Mosfets nor the ATX24 Power Connector (I'm running with the Power Disk Connectors)
November 12, 2013 08:21AM

Any advice?

You have a short somewhere pulling the voltage on a pin into the opposite direction of what the ATmega wants to do. It's not really possible to give more detailed instructions; what's wrong depends too much on what you actually have.

Generation 7 Electronics Teacup Firmware RepRap DIY

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login