Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Gen7 with Rostock delta bot?

Posted by dslc 
Gen7 with Rostock delta bot?
August 23, 2012 05:38AM
Hi all. I am considering building a Rostock printer at some stage, and am wondering if any one has tried using the Gen7 electronics with this.

My primary concern is that the Rostock printer requires a modified Marlin firmware at the moment, as - the last time I checked - it was difficult to get Marlin up and running with a Gen7 v1.3 board.

I would probably be using a Gen7 v1.4 board in this case however.

If anyone has any insights please let me know.

david
Re: Gen7 with Rostock delta bot?
August 23, 2012 06:38AM
I'm wondering what the Marlin people are doing, too. The main distinction between a Sanguinololu and a Gen7, seen from the programmer's view, is a different pin layout. It can't be that hard to get this right.

Generation 7 Electronics Teacup Firmware RepRap DIY

August 23, 2012 08:00AM
Is it the 20MHz clock?

[www.hydraraptor.blogspot.com]
August 23, 2012 09:32AM
The 20 MHz thing was solved many months ago. Just not sure where in these many Marlin forks. Even the Arduino IDE supports 20 MHz these days, because 20 MHz Arduinos exist.

As I write this ... some Marlins come with some "Gen7 compatibility" stuff which probably should be either updated or removed. The Gen7 Arduino IDE Support 2.0 package has everything required and is Arduino IDE 1.0 compatible.

If this still doesn't work, there's no problem to run a Gen7 off a 16 MHz clock. Bootloaders and Arduino support for this exists already. But I don't recommend it, it's a waste of performance.

August 23, 2012 05:19PM
Well ... If I go ahead with the build, and if I try the Gen7 with it, I might report back on how I get on smiling smiley.
September 10, 2012 07:28AM
There's also an experimental fork for the repetier firmware with delta support in the google group for rostock available now.
October 13, 2012 05:37AM
Hi all.

Incidentally, tprime, I was just logging back in to document my feedback after trying the Repetier fork by Sousoux - and am only reading your post now.

I managed to get past an initial hurdle with Marlin - by setting the fuses to different values (this is outlined by scuba in a separate thread on these forums). This prevented the repeated 'Brown out resets' I was experiencing previously. But even after that the motor movements were erratic. I was quite likely missing something obvious, but I decided to try Sousoux's Repetier fork instead.

After making a few changes to uiconfig.h (he seems to be assuming that users have a keyboard attached?) and Eeprom.h (to accommodate EEPROM_MODE = 0), I have the motors moving ok.

I still have a lot of work to do, and haven't tested extrusion yet, but will try to post updates here.
October 13, 2012 07:01AM

I managed to get past an initial hurdle with Marlin - by setting the fuses to different values (this is outlined by scuba in a separate thread on these forums). This prevented the repeated 'Brown out resets' I was experiencing previously.

Ouch. If you get brown out resets, Marlin obviously shorts something which pulls supply voltage down. Instead of allowing shorts, Marlin should be fixed.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login