Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Shorted and now can't connect...

Posted by Phizinza 
Shorted and now can't connect...
October 03, 2012 01:14AM
I was taking out one of the StepSticks and forgot the power was still on! I shorted a GND pin on the motor side of the StepStick with either the VDD 5v pin next to it or the DIR, STEP, pins on the ATmega side...
Now I can't connect to it in Pronterface (just says connecting...)

Sigh... What damage do you think I've done?

I did re-upload my firmware using arduino-1.0.1 to test it and it did say upload done...
Re: Shorted and now can't connect...
October 03, 2012 02:50AM
I uploaded the flashing test firmware and it was successful, flashed. Re-uploaded the teacup firmware and still no connection. Pronterface log says
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "pronterface.py", line 1566, in connect
  File "printcore.pyc", line 76, in connect
  File "serial\serialwin32.pyc", line 30, in __init__
  File "serial\serialutil.pyc", line 260, in __init__
  File "serial\serialwin32.pyc", line 56, in open
serial.serialutil.SerialException: could not open port COM7: [Error 5] Access is denied.

I have a feeling I cooked the USB TTL... Might order another one, gonna take a couple of weeks to get it though sad smiley
October 03, 2012 05:13AM
Looks more like a permissions problem. If you can upload a firmware, the USB-TTL adapter is definitely working. Are you sure you attempt firmware upload and Pronterface connection on the same port? Is it possible the serial port is occupied by another application, e.g. Arduino IDE?

Generation 7 Electronics Teacup Firmware RepRap DIY

October 03, 2012 05:38AM
Yep, definitively the same port. It was working fine up until I shorted the connection, now it won't connect. I've tried restarting the computer. I've tried different USB port (gives different COM port).
October 03, 2012 07:22PM
So I tried it on a USB port on the other side of the computer, COM13, and still no luck there.

Question, should I see the yellow LED light when I plug the USB in without the power supply plugged in? I have the power jumper set to the ATX plug. I just seem to remember that I could plug in the USB without the power supply and it would communicate..?
October 04, 2012 06:13AM

Question, should I see the yellow LED light when I plug the USB in without the power supply plugged in?

Is this a Gen7 electronics? You didn't tell us, yet winking smiley

If so, yes, the signals on the USB connector light up the yellow LED somewhat. They make their way through the ATmega somehow. Much darker as with a working power supply, though.

Did you try to connect with a serial terminal, like HyperTerminal or PuTTY? Simply pressing and releasing the reset button should send a "start" (takes about 4 seconds). By default, Teacup communicates at 115200 baud, can be changed in config.h.

October 04, 2012 07:49PM
Sorry, yes it is Gen7, 1.3.1

I didn't think to try using the reset button last time I tried it with putty. Tried it this time and nothing in the terminal, then tried with PSU plugged in and still nothing.

I am pretty sure that before this short out I could see that yellow LED lit when only the USB was plugged in. Now it isn't. Only lights when PSU is plugged in.
November 04, 2012 09:58PM
So I got another USB TTL in the post. Plugged it in and still no luck.

What I did try just then which did make things work is sorted the PSU's green pin to kick start it. Once I did that Pronterface connected. Could it be something in the electronics that has failed and is stopping the atmega from starting the PSU, or is it likely to be the chip itself that is damaged?
November 05, 2012 09:10AM
If you can connect with Pronterface, the chip can't be damaged seriously, except perhaps this one pin. Also, 5VSB of you power supply might be damaged.

To check, measure the voltage on the ATmega socket, with or without the ATmega inserted, as shown here: [reprap.org] If there is no 5V with the PSU connected to mains power but without turning it on by the green wire, this PSU has its 5V SB (SB = Standby) damaged. Repairing this would require to open the unit.

If there is 5V, you should be able to connect to Pronterface even with the PSU in standby mode. Then send an M104 S1 (setting the extruder heater to just above zero) to turn it on. If it doesn't turn on, check the voltage on the green wire. It should go from 5V to 0V when turning on.

November 06, 2012 11:25PM
5v standby is working just how it should as to the Gen7 testing guide on the wiki.

I've got another ATmega on the way. Might take a couple of weeks though. Couldn't find one in Australia that had a bootloader already.
November 19, 2012 01:47AM
I am new to this, so starting to think I'm missing something here. It's got me completely puzzled.

So I've got a ATmega 1284P (sold to me as having AVRDUDE BOOTLOADER on it). But I cannot get Arduino 1.0.1 to upload the teacup firmware. It just keeps saying uploading and when I disconnect the USB it says "timeout" several times in the log.

I put the old 644 back in and uploaded the test firmware again and it does power up the PSU and flash the lights. Then reuploaded the teacup firmware to it and still could not connect through Pronterface.

So I thought while trying to connect I'd give it a jump start with the green wire on the PSU. It connected and once I removed the jumper on the green wire it stayed connected. Now it runs and I can set heaters, move motors and it will turn the PSU on and do what I ordered. But everytime I turn it on from scratch I have to jump the PSU's run wire (green) for a couple of seconds...???
November 19, 2012 04:39AM
Timeout means, there is no serial connection at all. I have ATmegas which work and I ship them to Australia, but you ordered elsewhere before telling me you need.

Anyways, there are many different bootloaders and all of them can be configured for different serial baud rates. So you should check all the typcial baud rates, perhaps one fits. These are 19200, 38400, 57600 and 115200.

Regarding the PSU, you can try to swap the pin going to the green wire to another one. It's possible just this singe pin burned out. Cut the existing trace and solder an insulated wire to one of the free pins. Then change the pin in Teacup's config.h.

December 11, 2012 11:05PM
I received new Pololus, A4983's, and after putting them in I no longer have any connection issues with the Gen7 board. Looks like the old ones I had which 3 out of 4 just failed to run the motors 2 months after buying them (with almost no running time) were somehow stopping the PSU from auto switching on or something.. Weird. Anyhow, all good now. Printing and everything. Cheers for your help.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login