Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Generation 7 LCD + SD pinouts

Posted by peter6960 
Re: Generation 7 LCD + SD pinouts
October 13, 2012 05:52AM
Ok.

Good News! Repetier himself helped me understand and sort out the LCD configs in the firmware:

So one of 3 done.
October 14, 2012 08:05AM
Good work so far!
I think I´m going to get me a PCF8574 and will give it a try by myself.

Adafruit used another port expander in their I2C display shield called MCP23017-E/SP, it simply offers more ports than the PCF8574. And would make it possible to connect more keys and/or mosfets etc. to switch another appliances like fans or lights. And that´s what I´m looking forward to.

Btw: Kann es sein das sich in diesem Thread aktuell nur Deutsche unterhalten? spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/14/2012 09:13AM by Chopper925.

There are only 10 types of people in the world —
those who understand binary, and those who don't.

GSG-Elektronik
October 14, 2012 11:56AM
Update:

Here is the first schematic of my I2C display with buttons. The adress can be configured via a jumper.

GSG-Elektronik
Attachments:
open | download - i2c-display+buttons.png (13.6 KB)
October 14, 2012 01:32PM
Looks great - only have PCFs in my parts bin though, will give that a try next time I go past the shops. 16 bits are always welcome

I also created an enclosure for it:

Sketchup work in progress here: [www.thingiverse.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/14/2012 01:41PM by peter6960.
October 15, 2012 09:40AM
Meh, just realized that my lovely Atmega644 has not enough flash for a display with keys, but for a bigger chip I would have to make a completely new layout und new PCBs.

GSG-Elektronik
October 15, 2012 11:10AM
No you wouldn't: Note the title of this post: Gen 7 - standard Traumflaug PCB in use, just upped to a 1284 atmega. Drop-in replacement.

(in fact I've been using 1284 all along, about $1 cheaper than 644s here)
October 15, 2012 12:31PM
Oh, I´m not using a Gen 7 electronic. I´ve designed around march last year my own design, based on the Gen 6 and the sanguino.
Here is a link to our website: RepRap-GSG-Board

Just shortly after I finished my layout and it started working properly, all the other neat gadgets, like SD cards and rotary encoders, popped up.

And now I´m very busy with my studies and have no time/motivation to layout another one with all the neat stuff integrated.

Edit: Sorry, I´ve misunderstood your post. You´re right that there is a pin compatible Atmega1284, I had in mind that this controller is only available in another package, but it´s also available in TQFP44.
Yeah, now I just have to get an 1284 in SMD for a reasonable price.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/15/2012 02:04PM by Chopper925.

GSG-Elektronik
mcp
October 15, 2012 06:11PM
Hello,
just had a bad experience, I tried to use repetier with all setings for SD and I2C. Then aftervinstalling the software the FET for the Heated Bed desolderer and busted...
Guess is that the fastio.h used the pin 4 also for SS. Will give it a try with the changed software and a spare board tomorrow...

My guess is that SS was still on Pin4 (Arduino numbering) and fastio.h uses this hard coded for SS......

At least am german... But Peter I guess is located lots more south....

cu

Michael
October 15, 2012 08:15PM
@mcp: That´s a bit awkward, I don´t think that the software could do something like that.

Got finished with the layout, hope that I can find a chance to etch and test it this week.

Physical dimensions are 160x50mm, the I2C adress can be set via jumpers.

GSG-Elektronik
Attachments:
open | download - I2C Display Layout.png (20.2 KB)
mcp
October 16, 2012 11:26AM
Hello,
I guess the software either kept the heated bed permanently on for a couple of minutes or even worth, the pin was not really HIGH but somewhere in between so that the FET did not switch completely....

And it worked fine before I tried to use the version with SD-Card and Display support....

I tried afterwards without connection the heated bed and the Repetier-Host was able to switch the FET on, but was not able to turn it off again. I will give it some testing later on today.

So if you are going to connect SD-Card I would be more careful at the moment.

cu

Michael
October 16, 2012 02:10PM
I still don´t think that it was the software.
One con of all RepRap-electronics is, that they don´t use any mosfet drivers. With only 5V on it´s gate a normal FET isn´t fully open and with your SD-card and the display connected, maybe your 5V broke down and the FET got stuck in between open and closed.
So, ckeck your 5V if they broke down and in the future you should use a logic-level-fet, because they get switched fully open by 5V levels.

GSG-Elektronik
mcp
October 16, 2012 03:21PM
Hi,
need to test further, but I am using the recommended IRLB 8743 which worked quite good and suddenly desoldered after updating firmware....

I'll test next weekend what was going on.

cu

Michael
October 16, 2012 07:51PM
Found some time this evening, I´ve got the PCB etched, the remaining parts are on their way to me.

GSG-Elektronik
Attachments:
open | download - I2C-Platine.jpg (150.9 KB)
October 17, 2012 04:29AM

need to test further, but I am using the recommended IRLB 8743 which worked quite good and suddenly desoldered after updating firmware....

Watch out for high frequency switching of the MOSFET. Having it turned on constantly doesn't heat it significantly.

Maybe it's simpler to add some LCD functionality to a solidly working firmware than experimenting with a half working one *duck*

Generation 7 Electronics Teacup Firmware RepRap DIY

October 17, 2012 12:32PM
Assembled the PCB with LCD, I will try to get it working this evening.

GSG-Elektronik
Attachments:
open | download - Platine-front.jpg (147.6 KB)
open | download - Platine-back.jpg (122.3 KB)
October 17, 2012 12:34PM
Got my SOIC PCF8574's I ordered yesterday

Want to do one test of the buttons with the PCF8574 in through ghole, then finish the PCB layout:

PCF8574 x 2: LCD and 8 buttons
CD4050 + SD Card holder

Repetier Firmware

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/19/2012 03:30AM by peter6960.
October 19, 2012 01:17PM
Peter, i've done a design, at the thread [forums.reprap.org] and Another_repraper did one too
December 30, 2012 11:35AM
I spent the last few days getting the PCBs ready...

Attached a Gen 7 Expansion card with onboard SD card and Molex K100 Headers for Encoder and I2C LCD
The SD card holder is a cheap sub-$2 Yamiachi FPS009 from za.rs-online.com and easy to solder with no pins hidden underneath it

Seperate PCBs for LCD Backpack and Encoder... Will start working on a Panelolu Gen 7 Style soon
All the other components are through hole. A CD4050 used for SD Level shifting (CS=D14)
and I2C LCD using a PCF8574A (all Address pins grounded so use 0x70 as Address in Repetier

Just waiting for the silly season to be over so RS reopens their doors for me to go pickup some more SD card holders and more ATmega1284s then I am switching over my rack-of-repraps to use this exclusively for Hostless Printing!

PS, Traumflaugh, thanks for the mention on the Wiki, please update to this version? Updated LCD Schematic attached too. For the Expansion card I went straight to board...

Peter

Screenshot:
Eagle Board File (all three PCBs): Gen7Shield.brd
LCD Schematic 44780_LCD-v1.sch

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 12/30/2012 11:46AM by peter6960.
Attachments:
open | download - Gen 7 LCD Kit_Scaled.png (161.5 KB)
December 30, 2012 01:20PM
Oops! Forgot the I2C Pullups... back to Eagle...
December 31, 2012 08:56AM

please update to this version?

What stops you from doing this?

December 31, 2012 01:55PM
peter6960 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Attached a Gen 7 Expansion card with onboard SD
> card and Molex K100 Headers for Encoder and I2C
> LCD
> The SD card holder is a cheap sub-$2 Yamiachi
> FPS009 from za.rs-online.com and easy to solder
> with no pins hidden underneath it

Cool! Did you consider Hirose DM3D-SF? Similar design, slightly cheaper.

I would be interested in a LCD+encoder panel for use on my Sango-bc. I can have a go at adding some LCD support to Teacup if anyone is interested.
December 31, 2012 02:01PM
+1 vote for adding LCD over i2c to Teacup! with encoder...

Currently thats whats keeping me on Repetier

Registered on wiki today so I can update the links, thank Traumflug!
January 01, 2013 06:36AM

I can have a go at adding some LCD support to Teacup if anyone is interested.

Excellent idea.

January 14, 2013 02:24AM
Currently sorting out SD and Repetier Dev version: [forums.reprap.org]

Peter
January 16, 2013 11:41AM
I am testing some LCD and Encoder routines in TeeCup Fimware. At moment LCD and Encoder works. But some sourcecode need final finish... next i need a menü struct with useful things. SD follows... Otherwise some working LCD, EC or SD works in TeeCup?

ps: Es sollte evtl auch im "Deutschen"-Forum mal drüber geschrieben werden, das macht vieles einfacher (für einige, mich eingeschlossen winking smiley )

Timo
January 16, 2013 11:55AM
Nice!

Repetier helped me sort out all the SD issues, so late last night I re-layout all the boards... Tonight etching and final integration testing!

But would be good if it all works on Teacup too
January 17, 2013 06:15AM

Otherwise some working LCD, EC or SD works in TeeCup?

There's an "sdcard" branch in Teacup. Not sure about it's current state, judging by the commit comments it was basically working at some time. In case it's basically working and wrapped in #ifdef SDCARD_PIN, it can go into the Gen7/master branch.

ps: Es sollte evtl auch im "Deutschen"-Forum mal drüber geschrieben werden, das macht vieles einfacher (für einige, mich eingeschlossen )

Easier for germans, impossible for 99% of the world. For example, I'm pretty sure peter6960 doesn't speak german smiling smiley

January 17, 2013 09:01AM
Hehe, no despite the resemblece to Afrikaans, it still requires a paste in Google Translate sometimes..

Besides, when dealing with technical matter, sticking to English is usually best - same goes for my blogs - then when anyone else in the world googles for info, my posts are relevant. Admit it, even you Germans google in English first (;

Still fighting with Repetier and I2C LCD

Gen 7 cores causing issues with String, size_t etc when I enable the LiquidCrystal_I2C libraries, and Repetiers own built in I2C keeps hanging my Gen7 on boot

Peter
January 17, 2013 09:04AM
I2C issues here: [forums.reprap.org]

If anyone can help shed light - last obstacle before Hostless Gen 7 Printing all with single sided hardware! FTW!
January 18, 2013 02:06PM
Anyone else managed to get i2c on 1284 running? Seems thats the issue
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login