Producing the Gen7 board
January 28, 2013 04:49AM
Hi there!

I really want to thank all of you who contributed to this amazing project. You're all doing a great job.
I'm new to all this and as a real DIYer I want to make my own electronics board, where the Gen 7 seems perfect. I'm experienced in etching and soldering, so no problem there. I have a basic understanding problem, which you can solve quickly I guess smiling smiley

I found the documents for the gEDA/PCB and the release documents as well as the step by step tutorial for making the layout "etchable". Unfortunately I don't use gEDA but eagle and don't have a Linux installed. In the release documents I can find two layouts, one called solder and one called components. I guess these are other names for top and bottom layer? If this is a single layer layout, why are there traces on the components layer? Am I supposed to connect them with wire bridges? And last, if I comply the step by step tutorial on the wiki page, will something different result than the layout in the release documents? Or is this already after this edit?

Thank you!
Re: Producing the Gen7 board
January 28, 2013 07:23AM

Unfortunately I don't use gEDA but eagle and don't have a Linux installed.

gEDA runs on Windows, too: [www.reprap.org] . Requires some time to get used to the different GUI, after that it's even more powerful than Eagle.

In the release documents I can find two layouts, one called solder and one called components. I guess these are other names for top and bottom layer?

Yes.

If this is a single layer layout, why are there traces on the components layer? Am I supposed to connect them with wire bridges?

Yes. This bridge under the Reset switch is connected inside the switch already, no need for a wire.

And last, if I comply the step by step tutorial on the wiki page, will something different result than the layout in the release documents? Or is this already after this edit?

Hmm. Which edit? The files in the release documents folder are made from the exactly same gEDA/pcb layout I use for making the boards you see on the wiki page.

Generation 7 Electronics Teacup Firmware RepRap DIY

January 28, 2013 08:43AM
Traumflug Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> gEDA runs on Windows, too...

Shame on me, I just read somewhere that it is for Mac and Linux. Thanks! So I will also be able to export partslist for the actual version.

> Yes. This bridge under the Reset switch is
> connected inside the switch already, no need for a
> wire.

I see. But for version 1.5 there are several other bridges to solder? Don't get me wrong, no problem at all, but I just want to make sure we're talking about the same thing.

> Hmm. Which edit? The files in the release
> documents folder are made from the exactly same
> gEDA/pcb layout I use for making the boards you
> see on the wiki page.

Sorry, I should have been more clear here. I meant if I follow the instructions on how to make the board files "etchable" (http://reprap.org/wiki/Generation_7_Electronics#Etching), will I get a different result as the one already in the release documents?
But anyways, since I will be able to use gEDA/PCB on my Win7, I'm going to try that.

Thanks again!
January 28, 2013 02:29PM

I see. But for version 1.5 there are several other bridges to solder?

There are two additional ones compared to v1.4.

I meant if I follow the instructions on how to make the board files "etchable" (http://reprap.org/wiki/Generation_7_Electronics#Etching), will I get a different result as the one already in the release documents?

The amount of copper will change (that's the intention of the edit, right?), but the schematics will stay and accordingly the electrical connections on the layout. After the edit, make sure the layout is still valid (open a message log window, select "optimize rat nest" from the menu, watch "Congratulations" to appear in the log window).

Generation 7 Electronics Teacup Firmware RepRap DIY

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login