Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

SerialSeven - Gen7 v1.4 MCP2200 and SevenSwitch Expansion

Posted by macgeek10 
SerialSeven - Gen7 v1.4 MCP2200 and SevenSwitch Expansion
February 07, 2013 12:02AM
As the topic describes, I've created the SerialSeven, a working Gen7 v1.4 Expansion that integrates both the MCP2200 and the SevenSwitch into one add on expansion board for the expansion header. I am using the seven switch section to control a fan on my extruder, and its working great. You plug in 12v to the 2-pin header at the bottom, and plug in the load or fan to the top 2-pin header. It connects to arduino pin 13 for the seven switch control. I've included Eagle files, sorry no gEDA.

When I soldered it I placed the USB connector on and then I placed the bottom pin strip, and soldered that in place like Traumflug does it. After I did that, I cut the pins obstructing the usb connector flush with the top of the board.
[docs.google.com]

If you notice, the crystal I used is a surface mount variety, I get these as well as the oscillator capacitors out of cheap giveaway usb thumbdrives. I am also using one small 0 Ohm 0805 SMT resistor as a jumper.
[docs.google.com]

I bridged a connection with some wire on the backside. The layout was wrong for the mosfet, but I fixed that in my new schematic and layout attached.

I know the layout is tight, but I had no trouble toner transfer etching and soldering two of these boards for me and a buddy, and if all else, you would probably be alright to modify the layout, changing the crystal and its caps and drawing it out a little further to the left, as there is still plenty of room for even the ICSP header when this expansion board is mounted.
I hope someone else can get some use out of this design smileys with beer.

Traumflug, great work with this stuff.

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 02/07/2013 12:13AM by macgeek10.
Attachments:
open | download - SevenSwitch Gen7.zip (85.7 KB)
Re: SerialSeven - Gen7 v1.4 MCP2200 and SevenSwitch Expansion
February 08, 2013 06:29AM
Great work, macgeek10!

Where do you get juice for the fan from? I guess from the extensions board header's 5V. Is that sufficient to drive a fan?

Unfortunately I can't open the Eagle design on Linux. Looks like Eagle/Windows and Eagle/Linux are no longer compatible. Had the same issue with other designs, too.

Generation 7 Electronics Teacup Firmware RepRap DIY

Re: SerialSeven - Gen7 v1.4 MCP2200 and SevenSwitch Expansion
February 12, 2013 05:39AM
Traumflug,

Thanks for taking a look!
To answer your questions:

Traumflug
Where do you get juice for the fan from? I guess from the extensions board header's 5V. Is that sufficient to drive a fan?

I actually am pulling it separately, if you notice there are two 2 pin .100" headers on the board facing upward, one is for fan power input, the other is for output.

Traumflug
Unfortunately I can't open the Eagle design on Linux.

I've gotten Eagle designs from windows to open fine in linux, and vice-versa, you just have to make sure that you have the most recent version of eagle from their website, not from the repositories. Basically, download, and run the shell command from terminal. Then open the design once eagle loads.

A little hiccup I've run into since making this board is that apparently Marlin doesn't like pwm on the pin that i'm using to control my mosfet, I'm not sure why, I think I read that it has something to do with the timer registers that are being used. Not sure though. If anyone else has any input, let me know.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/12/2013 05:43AM by macgeek10.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login