Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Gen7 Standby Light not turning on!!

Posted by WackyWormy 
Gen7 Standby Light not turning on!!
March 02, 2013 02:42PM
hey guys i just built my first gen7 board its a v1.4.1 and when i plug it into my ATX the yellow standby light is supposed to turn on and it doesnt... i need help as to why it doesnt. also when it says to turn the ATX on by shorting the jumper and pin1 of the IC connecter it doesnt work, i have to take it out and manually short it for it to turn on. help would be appreciated thanks grinning smiley
Re: Gen7 Standby Light not turning on!!
March 03, 2013 06:50AM

when i plug it into my ATX the yellow standby light is supposed to turn on and it doesnt.

Have you put a power selection jumper into place? See [reprap.org]

when it says to turn the ATX on by shorting the jumper and pin1 of the IC connecter it doesnt work

You mean pin 21? It's the one in the upper right corner.

With this short you do pretty much the same as when you short on the connector directly, no other electronics components involved. The copper trace from the ATX24 connector to the ATmega socket can be easily followed.

How good is your soldering? What you describe sounds like you didn't solder at all.

Generation 7 Electronics Teacup Firmware RepRap DIY

March 03, 2013 07:31PM
thanks for replying, yeah i have a power selection jumper in the right place, and yes i know how to solder here's a pic in the attachments. ive also tried turning the LED around to see if it was in backwards and that didnt work either.
Attachments:
open | download - IMG0003.jpg (131.4 KB)
open | download - IMG0001.jpg (166.4 KB)
March 04, 2013 05:43AM
Your board is etched mirrored (see the «RepRap Gen7 v1.4.1» text in the copper side) I believe there is no solution but etching again.

If you use the «release documents», you need to print the bottom mirrored in order to do the right toner transfering, or export you own PS from the .pcb file and uncheck the «auto-mirror» option in the export dialog.
March 04, 2013 06:20AM
yeah i noticed that my board was mirrored a little late (after the etching) and i didnt think it would be a big problem. could you explain to me why the mirror would be a huge problem? i like to learn and know why things do/dont work.
March 04, 2013 06:42AM
The board is mirrored. The components are not, so the pins won't match up properly on components with more than a single line of pins. MosFETs and most other components can just be rotated if theres room, but the processor and anything else with two rows of pins need to be flipped. Maybe you could mount them upside down, but soldering on the copper side is awkward, maybe impossible on the processor socket.

Time to etch a new board and hope nothing got damaged.
March 04, 2013 10:57AM
alright... thanks a lot guys, newbie mistake sad smiley ill go out and buy lots of de-soldering braid and a new copper plate today then. ill keep ya posted if my new board works out.

Mark
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login