Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Stuck with the bootloader

Posted by iamay 
Stuck with the bootloader
August 16, 2013 03:35PM
Hi smiling smiley

I am trying to build my 1st 3D Printer out of parts found locally, thankfully I found everything for the Frame and all the hardware locally here in Karachi, Pakistan. Developed a hotend locally using the drawing on wiki and made a hotbed out of a PCB.

Everything is assembled, but we are now stuck at the electronics, made this Generation 7 (1.4.1) motherboard using toner etching method it works, atleast the LED lights when the ATX 24 Pin is plugged-in and the two disk connectors also tried shortening the Pin and the jumper to power on the ATX PSU test and it all worked fine.

NOW I have to burn the bootloader to the Atmega1284p or 644 tried both using WINAVR/avrdude and Arduino IDE and Arduino mega 2560 as a ISP

Simply used some jumper wires to connect the Arduino MISO, SCK, RESET, VCC, MOSI, Ground pin to respective pins on the atmega.
similarly used some jumper wires to connect to the MISO, SCK, RESET, VCC, MOSI,and 4 Ground Pins from the atmega to the usbasp ISP header.

and usbasp to burn the bootloader both of them failed everytime.

HELP me with burning the bootloader ?
Attachments:
open | download - 20130816_234027 copy.jpg (459.1 KB)
open | download - 20130816_233925 copy.jpg (425.9 KB)
Re: Stuck with the bootloader
August 17, 2013 07:58AM
I see lots of cold solder joints, the solder barely touches the copper tracks:

Can't work this way, because there is simply no electrical connection between component pin and copper track. There's a reason why I recommend to pre-tin all the spots to be soldered like this: [reprap.org] Also, here's a nice little video which shows how the solder flows on the copper: [files.z-friend.de] (taken from this page: [www.digizett.de])

To get your board working it's probably a good idea to suck off all the solder with a desoldering pump, then start over. Put emphasis on wetting the copper, the component pin usually wets its self. Leaded solder is a lot easier to handle than lead-free types, so get that until you have experience. More flux never hurts. A too high temperature oxidizes the copper before it can accept tin, so try to heat not more than neccessary. You can heat all component pins to solder temperature for at least 3 seconds, so use these 3 seconds to let the solder flow.

Generation 7 Electronics Teacup Firmware RepRap DIY

Attachments:
open | download - 20130816_234027 copy.jpg (22.4 KB)
August 17, 2013 08:54AM
I will do another board that would be much easier than de-soldering everything.

but the Bootloader and the micro-controller will still be the problem HELP ME with that. ?
August 18, 2013 09:04AM
If all the electrical connections don't work it's not surprising uploading anything doesn't work either.

Generation 7 Electronics Teacup Firmware RepRap DIY

August 18, 2013 01:04PM
I am trying to upload the bootloader seperately not while the MCU is installed in the board and the electrical connections do work atleast they all passed the continuity test.
August 22, 2013 08:00AM
> Simply used some jumper wires to connect the
> Arduino MISO, SCK, RESET, VCC, MOSI, Ground pin to
> respective pins on the atmega.
> similarly used some jumper wires to connect to the
> MISO, SCK, RESET, VCC, MOSI,and 4 Ground Pins from
> the atmega to the usbasp ISP header.
>
> and usbasp to burn the bootloader both of them
> failed everytime.
>
> HELP me with burning the bootloader ?[/b]

You have got a crystal and caps connected to your IC, right?
Are you pulling your reset line HIGH through a 10K resistor???

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/22/2013 08:02AM by slymike.

=======================================================
A wise man once told me "Never trust a man who doesn't own a shed!"
Gen 6 daughter board
[forums.reprap.org]
Mendel PCB heatbed
[forums.reprap.org]
September 04, 2013 05:15AM
Any joy?

A wise man once told me "Never trust a man who doesn't own a shed!"
Gen 6 daughter board
[forums.reprap.org]
Mendel PCB heatbed
[forums.reprap.org]
September 10, 2013 02:47PM
Special thanks to Traumflug because of him I have significantly improved my soldering skills.

Desoldering the whole thing would have been a lot painful and I was sure I would have damaged a lot of copper tracks so I choose to do my third tongue sticking out smiley Gen.7 1.4.1 board (The 1st one didn't work at all the second one is what you see..) and the third one works perfectly fine.

I used a usbasp programmer, plugged it in a breadboard, connected all the pins of 10pin ISP connector via single pin jumpers to each pin of the MCU pins, connected a 20Mhz crystal to the Xtal1 and Xtal2 pins and used WINAVR/avrdude to copy the bootloader hex file on to the MCU and it worked(1st ever successful bootloader upload, yeah one more thing with the same setup ArduinoIDE failed)

Tried the Test firmware it was successfully uploaded and then installed the Teacup firmware.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/10/2013 02:50PM by iamay.
September 11, 2013 07:23AM
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login