Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

gen 7 boothloader trouble

Posted by dean 
gen 7 boothloader trouble
November 13, 2013 01:38AM
Hi,
Ive built a gen 7 1.5 board with a 20 Mhz Crystal. Im having trouble with uploading the repeter host firmware, it either gives me a problem on my pc which is running windows xp that says "problem connecting to board" or on my other laptop thats running windows 7 it gives us an error of 0x00 or something like that. Ive had the boothloader externally installed by my supplier as it was a factory fresh atmega 1284 p-pu .Ive currently purchased a pololu avr programmer but im not sure how to use it as im not a programmer .Ive also downloaded Avr studio 6, loaded the pololu drivers onto the programmer , but im unable to programme the boothloader.

please help me solve this problem.

tc
Dean
Re: gen 7 boothloader trouble
November 13, 2013 05:41AM

Ive currently purchased a pololu avr programmer but im not sure how to use it as im not a programmer .Ive also downloaded Avr studio 6

Never follow the instructions in the wiki. They have worked for too many people already, so reading them is moot.

Generation 7 Electronics Teacup Firmware RepRap DIY

November 13, 2013 08:47AM
Hi

Will you kindly help me with how to go further with it?

Regards
Dean
November 13, 2013 11:03AM
I'm only using the Arduino IDE to do my development, here's how I did it (assuming you have already got avrdude on your machine)

Step 1) Download "Gen 7 Arduino IDE Support" (http://reprap.org/wiki/Gen7_Arduino_IDE_Support) and put it onto your PC
Step 2) Extract contents of Gen 7 Arduino IDE Support and find the Gen7\bootloaders\Gen7 area - you're looking for a file called "bootloader-1284p-20mhz.hex"
Step 3) Set fuses appropriate for the chip: avrdude -c PROGRAMMER -P PORT -p m1284p -U lfuse:w:0xF7:m -U hfuse:w:0xDC:m -U efuse:w:0xFC:m
Step 4) Plug your programmer into the programming header on the board (3x2 pin array next to the chip) and then run the following command: avrdude -c PROGRAMMER -P PORT -p m1284p -U flash:w:bootloader-1284P-20MHz.hex
November 14, 2013 06:27AM
FOLLOW THESE INSTRUCTIONS:
[reprap.org]

As majic79 mentioned.
The PROGRAMMER name for the pololu AVR programmer is avrispv2, this is the name that you use in the course of following the instructions linked above.
[www.pololu.com]
[www.pololu.com]

So you should have "avrdude -c avrispv2 -P PORT -p m1284p -U lfuse:w:0xF7:m -U hfuse:w:0xDC:m -U efuse:w:0xFC:m

PORT should be whatever windows says the avr programmer is using in windows device manager.

FOLLOW THESE INSTRUCTIONS:
[reprap.org]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login