Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Anyone successful with MCP2200 with Windows 7?

Posted by billcat 
Anyone successful with MCP2200 with Windows 7?
November 15, 2013 03:01PM
I have tried everything I can imagine to get the MCP2200 working on Windows 7 machines, both 32 and 64bit, and have come to the conclusion that it is just not supported, regardless of Microchip's claims. I am unable to find any information on this subject that is not extremely technical, beyond my comprehension level.

Here's the details on what I have done:

I basically built the Gen 7 ExtensionBoard-USB-B 1.0(from the schematic) with an Arduino UNO ..... on a breadboard. I anticipated problems with USB as I have had many so far just trying to learn Arduino. I am hesitant to commit to the full Gen 7 v1.5 board build if I cannot figure the basics out first(I am new to microcontrollers).
I downloaded the Windows driver from Microchip onto one 64bit Win7 pc, and also two 32 bit Win7 machines. I thought it should work fine on the 32bit machines, but I read on the wiki about problems with some 64bit machines that were unsolved. I took a chance with the x64 anyhow.
I then connected the circuit to a prototype Uno clone on a breadboard paying close attention to the Gen 7 v1.5 schematic's point to point wiring regarding the MCP2200 . I doublechecked my connections many times.

The first time I connected the circuit via USB was with the 64bit machine. The pop-up immediately indicated to me that the new hardware was properly installed and designated a COM port.
Then I opened up Arduino IDE and uploaded the blink sketch, went off without a hitch, establishing that pc to breadboarded communication was good.
I then cycled the USB connection(disconnected then reconnected it). From this point on, I only get errors that the USB device was not installed properly, and there is no COM port shown in device manager.
So I moved the entire breadboarded circuit to a 32bit(Windows7)machine. From the get go, only errors with the USB device installation, no COM ports. Same situation on yet another 32bit(again Win7) machine. There was never one instance of good communication with any of the three PC's, after the initial connection to the 64bit pc.

At this point I could assume that I damaged something, since this is still just a breadboarded circuit looking like spaghetti........except this:

Next I installed the Microchip drivers on a WindowsXP machine. Connected my breadboarded circuit and whah-la.......connections are good once again. I swap out the ATmega chip with the blink sketch for one with a basic serial sketch on it, open the Arduino serial monitor, and establish that I do have good communication between the pc and breadboard. So now I feel once again that my circuit is good.

I remove the breadboard and again attempt connection with each of the Win7 pc's one by one........Nothing. I have tried everything from un/reinstalling the drivers, to swapping the rx/tx and data +/- lines, to trying suggestions posted by user Rezer on other threads in this forum, all to no avail.

Go back to the XP machine, and all is well. Just more confirmation that my wiring/connections are good.

Now I decide to try on yet another machine, this one is dual boot with Ubuntu, and that is the OS I boot with. Needless to say, I am unable to even install ArduinoIDE, or the Microchips driver, as I have no experience with Ubuntu, and am overwhelmed with errors. So I could not even figure out how to tell if the MCP2200 was even recognized, but there was no clear indication or pop up when I plugged it in. I simply have no experience with linux.

Back to the XP, and all seems to work perfectly once again.

Been working on this for several days now, and pulling my hair. I really don't want to use the XP machine, its the oldest, slowest pc that I own. In retrospect, I don't think I have found mention of ANYONE using Gen 7 and the MCP2200 on a Windows 7 pc, other than Rezer.

Can anyone offer any suggestions or advice on how to make this work?

Cheers,
Re: Anyone successful with MCP2200 with Windows 7?
November 16, 2013 05:31AM

Needless to say, I am unable to even install ArduinoIDE, or the Microchips driver, as I have no experience with Ubuntu

On Ubuntu, you install neither. Arduino IDE is "installed" by just unpacking the archive somewhere. There isn't even an installer. Then double-click the file named "arduino". Ubuntu will ask wether you want to open the file in a text editor or wether you want to execute the file, choose execute.

There is no Installer from Microchip either. Connecting a MCP2200-driven device just works. The only flaw I found so far is, a freshly connected device sometimes claims to be busy for several seconds. Happens with other devices, too, and just waiting helps.

Uhm, do I have to mention Installers for Windows won't work on Ubuntu? Arduino provides packages for Linux, too. *duck*

Generation 7 Electronics Teacup Firmware RepRap DIY

November 16, 2013 08:04PM
Traumflug

Uhm, do I have to mention Installers for Windows won't work on Ubuntu?

Uhm, if you think you need to.

I gave my best effort to try to use Arduino on Ubuntu by following instructions/links straight from the Arduino website, with no success. When I doubleclick the Arduino icon, and then "run", nothing happens, at least as far as I can see.
November 17, 2013 08:27AM

When I doubleclick the Arduino icon, and then "run", nothing happens, at least as far as I can see.

Looks like there's something missing in your installation. Running it from the command line should give you hints. After unpacking:
cd <path/to/>arduino-1.0.5
./arduino

November 17, 2013 05:41PM
Works on mine - in fact I had to revert to my windows machine to configure the chip (so that the data lights flash) - not tried an actual print, but I've had communication with my AVR through it on my Gen7 board
November 18, 2013 02:57AM
On your windows machines download/install the MCP2200 "configuration utility"(it includes drivers) after you uninstall all the drivers that you have already(to start with a clean slate)
Go into device manager, if you see any com ports with a yellow exclamation point mark, right click on them and click on "update driver"(this part maybe the only thing you have to do, but first step helps)

Works great on my machine. Never had a problems with this chip on win7 64/32bit, and on three different machines.
November 18, 2013 02:10PM
Traumflug
billcat
I am unable to even install ArduinoIDE....

On Ubuntu, you install neither.................................... There isn't even an installer........

billcat
When I doubleclick the Arduino icon.......

Looks like there's something missing in your installation......

Uhm, I guess it's no surprise I just don't get it.

Anyhow, much appreciation majic79 and MeMadMax for helpful comments on my actual question. Its good to know that it can work with Win7. I did try uninstalling/reinstalling the MCP2200 configuration utility, while connecting the MCP2200 probably a dozen times and in different sequences; on each of the pc's. But just never got anything to happen other than the "usb device not installed correctly" popup.

But I am done with this , I 've got no patience for arrogance, and no interest in wasting my time further, I've had enough off this nonsense.

Cheers!
November 19, 2013 04:19AM
I don't know if it helps, but when I first tried, I had some teething problems with my board (not communicating with the AVR due to incorrect TX/RX connections - a fault in my board design) and I tried swapping D+ and D- on the USB side, it then detected as a low speed USB device and failed to install the drivers - is it possible that this is the problem you are seeing? I wouldn't recommend doing it intentionally (I don't know that much about the USB electrical spec, so I don't know if the ports should tolerate it) but when I swapped them back to the way they should connect, it detected as a full speed device and installed drivers correctly (I then swapped the TX/RX lines over to the AVR and that side started working as well)
November 19, 2013 04:49AM

Uhm, I guess it's no surprise I just don't get it.

Ubuntu != Arduino. The first is installed, of course, the latter not.

If you find attempts to explain things arrogant, well, then it is. Just doing what you were asked to would have been a lot simpler, but also disturb you joy of being miffed.

January 11, 2014 01:01PM
I just tried it on Win7 64 bit. Windows didn't find a driver automatically for the MCP2200 but running the 64bit windows installer tool that comes with the driver on the Microchip MCP2200 product site fixed that. Afterwards it was just a matter of figuring out which Port the MCP2200 came up as and then it just worked. I was using Arduino 1.0.5 RC2 and was able to upload firmware. This was on Sanguish but the USB-Serial chip is the same as Gen7

As with many USB drivers, it is probably better to install the correct driver before plugging in the device. But I did it backwards and it still worked fine.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/11/2014 01:03PM by bryanandaimee.
May 11, 2014 07:57AM
This solution is specific to billcat's problem, i.e the driver stops working after some time of use.

I too faced the same problem i.e I was able to use my arduino clone one whole day based on microchip MCP2200 . The next day , after restarting my pc it stopped working.
My pc is windows 7 64 bit.

Steps :

1. You may not find any com ports listed in the device manager, but if you see any specific to MCP just uninstall them.
2. Now search your windows installation folder for "mchpcdc".
3. You will find a folder similar to this "mchpcdc.inf_amd64_neutral_4a8f045d76182ef1" .
Our aim is to delete this folder but you cannot simply delete it the conventional way.
4. To delete this folder , follow the steps on this page Remove a driver package .
5. Once the above steps are performed, Reboot your pc. once again install the MCP drivers for 64 bit using the "MCP2200DriverInstallationTool.exe"

You should find your old working COM PORT back and your device should connect.
December 18, 2014 12:26PM
I was tried
- MCP2200 microchip
- CP2102 SILABS
- FTDI

And the worst is MCP2200 : the communication is not stable and many other probleme ,
and the best FTDI
December 19, 2014 07:36AM
It's likely a driver issue. A few months ago I wrote a userland driver on my own and what I have now is the most stable connection I ever had. The first time I can leave USB connected for weeks, no need to unplug after each print (as the FTDI before it required).

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login