Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

UDOO-NEO

Posted by unarmedrob 
UDOO-NEO
April 22, 2015 12:24PM
Arduino and Raspberry Pi combined, and only $35 on Kick-starter.

Just posting to get peoples general consensus on the device. Would it be capable of running a reprap? Maybe with its own webserver?

[www.udoo.org]
Re: UDOO-NEO
April 22, 2015 12:47PM
Looks interesting, although the potential problem with anything running Linux is to get good enough real-time performance. It's generally preferable to offload the hard real-time stuff to a separate processor. What would be really interesting is to take the 4-core Raspberry Pi, hand 3 cores over to Linux, and dedicate one to the real time stuff.

You can already get 3D printer controller boards that run web servers, e.g. Duet and Smoothie. I think the real benefit of attaching something as powerful as the RPi to a 3D printer is if you want to add streaming video, or do slicing on it as well.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/22/2015 01:13PM by dc42.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
April 22, 2015 01:21PM
dc42
Looks interesting, although the potential problem with anything running Linux is to get good enough real-time performance. It's generally preferable to offload the hard real-time stuff to a separate processor. What would be really interesting is to take the 4-core Raspberry Pi, hand 3 cores over to Linux, and dedicate one to the real time stuff.

You can already get 3D printer controller boards that run web servers, e.g. Duet and Smoothie. I think the real benefit of attaching something as powerful as the RPi to a 3D printer is if you want to add streaming video, or do slicing on it as well.

If you look at the design uses a Freescale™ i.MX 6SoloX with an embedded ARM Cortex-A9 core and a Cortex-M4 Core where the Cortex-A9 is used for the Linux system and the Cortex-M4 is used for the Real-time Arduino processing.
April 22, 2015 01:25PM
It's got a Cortex A9 to run the Linux and a Cortex M4 pretending to be an Arduino to do the real time stuff.

[www.hydraraptor.blogspot.com]
April 22, 2015 01:30PM
Ah, that makes a big difference then!

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
April 22, 2015 01:57PM
It's a great solution to run OctoPrint on the Cortex-A9 and any of the available 32-bit firmwares on the Cortex-M4. thumbs up

I would really like to see a cape/RAMPS style board developed for it! smiling bouncing smiley
May 15, 2015 05:21AM
Have you seen that the RADDS is being sold bundeled with the UDOO-Neo?

I wonder how the software solution looks like for it. Can´t be that complicated, but how does the Linux platform connect to the integrated arduino due? Virtual USB?
VDX
May 15, 2015 07:16AM
... yes, it's 'communicating' via a serial bus, so no big difference to a sseparate linux-quadcore and an ArduinoDue connected by a cable ...

Viktor
--------
Aufruf zum Projekt "Müll-freie Meere" - [reprap.org] -- Deutsche Facebook-Gruppe - [www.facebook.com]

Call for the project "garbage-free seas" - [reprap.org]
May 15, 2015 08:06AM
Yellobello
Have you seen that the RADDS is being sold bundeled with the UDOO-Neo?

I wonder how the software solution looks like for it. Can´t be that complicated, but how does the Linux platform connect to the integrated arduino due? Virtual USB?

I had not seen that! Nice! So it seems they already have a complete firmware solution worked out. thumbs up
May 15, 2015 09:18AM
@Yellobello, where have you seen the UDOO-Neo bundled with RADDS?

Isn't RADDS a Due sheild, i.e. same pinout as Arduino Mega? But Neo is the smaller pinout like an Arduino Uno. Is it compatible?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/15/2015 09:18AM by nophead.

[www.hydraraptor.blogspot.com]
VDX
May 15, 2015 12:11PM
... the UDOO has the same pins/sockets footprint as the ArduinoDue, so the RADDS will fit to it too (I have both types here - RADDS with Due and with UDOO).

But AFAIK, the UDOO-Neo has another pin arrangement, so not compatible with the RADDS ...

Viktor
--------
Aufruf zum Projekt "Müll-freie Meere" - [reprap.org] -- Deutsche Facebook-Gruppe - [www.facebook.com]

Call for the project "garbage-free seas" - [reprap.org]
May 17, 2015 03:47AM
Sorry my fault!

Just another fancy namy hiccup on my list!
the UDOO is not the UDOO-neo, off course!! How could I forget that?

[max3dshop.org]

AND I have to adidmit that I already came as far as figuring out that the board should not be able to fit, but then thought "voodoo!"

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/17/2015 03:49AM by Yellobello.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login