Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Generation 7 Electronics Development

Posted by Traumflug 
Re: Generation 7 Electronics Development
October 27, 2017 06:36PM
Phew, shankman, Traumflug is one of a few people who embody the open source philosophy here. Perhaps something was lost in translation?
December 30, 2017 08:51AM
Markus,

Just want to let you know that the DIP LPC chip for Gen7 is officially at it's manufacture End of Life. I just followed up with NXP and they are no longer in production. I know you have a stock of them available through your site (personally want to avoid shipping from EU to US), but it's still sad to see the sun set on ARM MCU's in a DIP package.

-Joe

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/30/2017 08:59AM by obelisk79.
December 30, 2017 08:59AM
obelisk79
personally want to avoid shipping from EU to US

They come from Taiwan anyways :-)

Generation 7 Electronics Teacup Firmware RepRap DIY

December 30, 2017 09:01AM
Traumflug
obelisk79
personally want to avoid shipping from EU to US

They come from Taiwan anyways :-)

LOL - Thanks
April 10, 2018 06:55PM
I love the idea of Generation 7 Electronics, particularly the ARM version, but a lack of support for multiple extruders is a show-stopper for me. Is there any plan for multi-extruder support?
June 19, 2018 11:31PM
hi,

I intended to make the generation 7 using a lpc1114 in lqfp package.. I have a dip conversion pcb. But for a test i soldered it on a dip conversion board and connected a serial cable a reset button a jumper on pio_0 .

I tried getting it in programming mode by pressing the rest button but just cant get it to program. I tried different buad rates but it just wont respond. Is there any other way to check it? anybody has any experience with these chips? I even tried 2 different lpcs but both wont respond..
June 23, 2018 01:34AM
Traumflug,

have you thought or maybe planned to change the Gen7 board into a simple expansion board like the old RAMPS, and have a choice of several NPC processors on a DIP adapter board?

I understand the advantage and desire to have a controller DIY-possible, but nobody was putting Megas together in the old days. Maybe more desirable to have the "shield" separate from the processor?

I see a few Chinese boards using NPC1768 or similar, with many more available pins, and let's face it - the number of motor drivers and various other things people will want to plug into these isn't going to reduce but increase. Maybe time to make some sort of cheap reliable expandable foundation, just like the old RAMPS was? I for example want 5 motor drives, 6 endstops, hassle-free display and SD card pluggable board, probably hassle-free Raspberry interface of some sort. Other people will want that plus more, and there simply isn't anything like that that's affordable, familiar, simple, cheap, etc.

On a similar topic, I see Panucatt using what they call "Bigfoot" format for stepper drivers, with a much larger board that comes closer to specs when it comes to IC heat dissipation. Their boards have provision for both that and the old Pololu format on the same board. Why can't we at least attempt to establish a new standard format? I'm sure Chinese will not be far behind to keep us supplied winking smiley

It's way past time to revive the old RAMPS concept. At the moment, getting a 32bit solution means either going to a ready-made commercial solution for quite serious price that's approaching or exceeding the price of ALL the other parts of a printer, or saving some $$ and getting a Chinese "black box". I don't know what's worse.
June 23, 2018 01:55AM
panucutt has already done that with re-arm. the idea of gen-7 was to be able to diy it easily
January 23, 2019 07:25AM
Hello! My name is Julian. I'm starting with this from the 3d printers. I know a bit of electronics, but not so much (currently studying electronic engineering: p). I started with the Gen7 v2.0 design with the LPC1114 mcu and I want to modify it to use two extruders. To do this, I removed two SPIs from the board (I do not want to have support for SD cards or a screen) and add an additional motor / heater / temperature sensor.
Also, where I live I can not get the IRLB8743 mosfet, so I replaced it with the IRLB3034.
Surely I am missing something in design, if someone has a little time and would like to look at it, it would help me a lot. I attached the schematic design in GEDA, I was going to upload an image, but I could not make it look good.
In these days I already get all the components and I start to try to see if it really works or if I screwed it up.
Regards!
Attachments:
open | download - gen7board_marifant.sch (34.7 KB)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login