Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Generation 7 Electronics Development

Posted by Traumflug 
Re: Generation 7 Electronics Development
August 16, 2011 05:19PM
The bugfix release is done: [reprap.org]

If your RepRap works fine, there is no need to upgrade. Upgrading doesn't make the machine running any better. Upgrade only if you have to upload a new firmware and your Gen7 refuses to do so.

To upgrade, you need a programmer. Having that, do two things:

* Re-do your Arduino IDE support with the newest Gen7 support package from the Git repository (linked there).

* Renew your bootloader, especially the fuses burning part.

Special thanks to StevBrennan and Julian Gebhardt, who provided a non-functional board and helped testing the fix.

Generation 7 Electronics Teacup Firmware RepRap DIY

August 17, 2011 02:48AM
woohooo thanks for your efforts smiling smiley

I will test it later today (After a couple of firmware uploads I have to upload the bootloader again).
August 17, 2011 05:32PM
Hi!

Why Gen7 does not have a power switch? Do you Think its a good idea?
August 18, 2011 07:05AM
A power switch would be pointless, as Gen7 switches power in software. Teacup firmware even manages to power up the board as needed and shuts it down shortly after the last command is done.

August 18, 2011 08:11AM
Does it Shutdown or enter in low energy consumption/sleep mode?

I think I would probably use a ATX power supply with power switch to isolate everything from the power source.
Not only to spend less energy(Energy in Brasil is NOT cheap), but to protect it from electrical outages.
August 19, 2011 02:51AM

Does it Shutdown or enter in low energy consumption/sleep mode?

It goes to sleep mode, just like a modern PC. The ATmega runs all the time, but I estimate it's power consumption to only about 0.1 to 0.2 Watts (0.9 to 1.8 kWh/year). This is likely less than the losses in the sleeping power supply it's self.

To save even more energy, you have to put a switch between the PSU and the mains (110/220V) outlet. Some PC supplies have a mains switch built in.

August 25, 2011 06:06AM
should the atmega get hot? i checked all the voltages before like in your diagram and they are ok.
just when uploading it gets hot,maybe i have wired the usb ttl adapter wrong?

this adapter has pins marked: 3.3v, RST TXD RXD GND +5V
i connected gnd to gnd, left out cts [because its already connected to ground] and all the rest to their corresponding pins[except 3.3v, which is empty]
but it wont upload the test Firmware ...
any ideas?
thanks
August 26, 2011 08:15AM

should the atmega get hot?

Nope. Maximum power consumption of an ATmega is below 0.5 watts, which is not enough to warm up noticeable. Wiring up signals wrongly won't heat up something either, there is just not enough juice.

What type of USB-TTL adapter is this? There are 5V and 3.3V types out there, you need a 5V type. The Sparkfun adapter has a solder jumper on it's back to switch between 5V and 3.3V. Getting power supply lines wrong is about the only way to heat something up.

August 26, 2011 09:10AM
its the same adapter this guy had: [forums.reprap.org] [forums.reprap.org]

and on that thread it was wired to something else,but mine /should/ be ok if its wired:
GND--GND
+5V--+5V
TXD--TXD
RXD--RXD
RST--RST
3.3V empty
empty CTS
the board is soldered from a board i bought off you ,is there a chance the usb port on the computer is somehow putting out MORE power? can it do that? i tried using a different computer too.
i put the jumper on the serial power source to do this, but also i tested it without the chip ,on molex disk power and used a multimeter,that works like on the wiki,the LEDs go on etc
August 27, 2011 08:06AM
That +5V connection isn't needed, so you might want to get rid of it. That said, 5V on the USB connector is standardized, so every PC should deliver the same.

You can also try without the RST pin, this is just for auto-reset.

Somehow your description smells like you have a short or a solder bridge on your board ...

As a potential Mendal builder, I am orienting myself to see what options are available.

Should I build a Gen6 controller or a Gen7?

I think a better question would be: what are the major differences between the 2? Is Gen7 due to its simpler design missing features Gen6 has?
August 29, 2011 06:02AM
The main difference is intended production method, not features: Gen6 is designed to be manufactured professionally (4-layer PCB, small SMD components) and is sold ready-assembled, while Gen7 is designed for DIY assembly (single sided PCB, through hole components) and is sold as a kit you have to solder together yourself (cheaper, but more work).
August 30, 2011 03:42AM
In fact, Gen7 has more features than Gen6: capability to directly run a heated bed and more speed for the CPU (20 MHz instead of 16 MHz).

August 30, 2011 05:32PM
Hi Forum.

Me and a friend are currently building a small cnc machine. We are using the Mendal 3982A Stepper drivers (http://www.reprap.org/wiki/Stepper_Motor_Driver_2_3) , and now need to start constructing the motherboard. We wanted to use a Pic18f4550, but can not find any solid firmware for it.

Im thinking of making this version motherboard(Generation 7). It seems simpler and more compatible. Would we be able to use this firmware , without a extruder attached? Can this Generation 7 firmware decode and run gcode?

And for ATmega644, Can i build a programmer for it? I only have a pickit3, so first time working with Atmel.
I had a look at our international supplier, there are so many versions of the ATmega644 (http://za.rs-online.com/web/c/?sra=oss&searchTerm=ATmega644&x=18&y=15), will this Dip package one work? (http://za.rs-online.com/web/p/microcontroller/7193960/)

Any help will greatly appreciated, Thank you!

Regards
August 31, 2011 04:20AM
First, Generation 7 Electronics doesn't have it's own firmware, it runs most/all of the RepRap firmwares, like FiveD, Teacup and most likely Sprinter, Marlin.

Then, changing the CPU to something entirely different needs a serious redesign. The Gen7 layout can help here, but when done, there won't be much like it was before.

Third, RepRap firmwares are programmed for AVR CPUs, so you have to rewrite that for a PIC CPU. Teacup Firmware might be the most suitable, as it doesn't depend on the Arduino library.

The good thing is, all this is done already, at least partially: [reprap.org]

September 13, 2011 05:29PM
Windows users might be interested in this, freshly from the keyboard: [reprap.org]

September 18, 2011 07:53AM
For those owning an E'go USB-TTL adapter, this might be interesting: [reprap.org]

Thanks to Rodrigo Damasceno, who got this to working first, and to Thomas Minns, who sent me such an adapter to test and document it.

October 12, 2011 03:59PM
Yesterday I've learned there are illegal copies of Generation 7 Electronics v1.3.1 sold on ebay, by a registered business seller. Now, for me it's a kind gesture Gen7 is worth going down that path, but for his customers it isn't that good, as this copy has a higher price than the original and is without drilled holes. To those four customers having such a copy: you need drills sized 0.75, 1.0, 1.3, 1.6 and 3.0 mm and a good share of patience for drilling 351 holes. The Gen7 Layout PDF has a map of the drills on it's last page.

For those not aware of how to get a proper Gen7 board, there's a How To Get It section on the Wiki page.

October 13, 2011 04:48AM
Forgive my ignorance, but what's the problem with a double sided PCB?

Can you not get double sided PCB plate, mill/drill one side then flip it over and mill the other?

Failing that why not mill two plates, then glue them back to back?

or is it a problem with alignment?
October 13, 2011 07:57AM
Sure, double sided PCBs are possible, but more work. Making them a bit bigger is a lot easier, as alignment simply isn't an issue. Also, bare boards are cheap, so size isn't costly.

Another thing is, double sided PCBs are only really helpful if you get the holes plated, or you'd have to solder a number of pins from both sides. There exist rivets to do this, which means, well, even more work.

October 14, 2011 01:55AM
Ah. so just keeping to the KISS principle then.
October 25, 2011 09:11AM
I am confinced I read something here about a new boot loader for the 20mhz version of Gen7 board but my search ability is now failing me as I can't find it now..;-(

Can any one point me to where I may have seen this.. Looking thru the code I found this then became more confused.

/*
 * define CPU frequency in Mhz here if not defined in Makefile

*/
#ifndef F_CPU
#define F_CPU 7372800UL  This Line confuses me as this value should either be 16000000UL or 20000000UL

Or is there some kind of calculation required that is applied to the xtal frequence first.? 
#endif

I have searched but not found any notes on this value needing to be changed.

Bodge It [reprap.org]
=======================================

BIQ Sanguinololu SD LCD board BIQ Stepcon BIQ Opto Endstop
BIQ Heater Block PCB BIQ Extruder Peek clamp replacement BIQ Huxley Seedling
BIQ Sanguinololu mounting BIQ standalone Sanguinololu or Ramps mounting Print It Stick It Cut it

My rep strap: [repstrapbertha.blogspot.com]

Buy the bits from B&Q pipestrap [diyrepstrap.blogspot.com]
How to Build a Darwin without any Rep Rap Parts [repstrapdarwin.blogspot.com]
Web Site [www.takeaway3dtech.com]
October 25, 2011 06:08PM
so, i saw you put stories of people who successfully used gen7 on your gen7 page,do you know what software/firmware they used? and can each be combined as you like? also[im not sure ive got his right sorry if this is really obvious to you guys]
but you can upload the firmware[with gen7 adjustments] straight from arduino software, then it stays on the bord,right? *then* you can shut arduino and load reprap host,or replicatorg,right?
thanks
October 26, 2011 05:40AM
BodgeIt
I am confinced I read something here about a new boot loader for the 20mhz version of Gen7 board

It's in the arduino support folder, compiled ones are in the release documents folger, inside the Arduino IDE Support ZIP.

/*
 * define CPU frequency in Mhz here if not defined in Makefile
 */
#ifndef F_CPU
#define F_CPU 7372800UL  This Line confuses me ...

It's set in the Makefile, so you can compile all four variants (644/644P, 16MHz/20MHz) from a script. The script to do this is also available there, it's make.sh.

kenneth kneebone
so, i saw you put stories of people who successfully used gen7 on your gen7 page,do you know what software/firmware they used?

Most people run FiveD or Teacup so far, but Sprinter or Marlin should work as well. After configuring the pin assignments, of course.

kenneth kneebone
you can upload the firmware[with gen7 adjustments] straight from arduino software, then it stays on the bord,right? *then* you can shut arduino and load reprap host,or replicatorg,right?

Right, both times.

October 26, 2011 02:28PM
thanks Traumflug,the test firmware is working fine, then i think i got teacup firmware uploaded with no problems,[with the gen7 adjustments] but i still cant get repsnapper,replicatorG to reconnize the board is connected.the baud rate should be 19200 right?
it seems to be just the software not recognizing it,i looked around and a few other people had come to this similar block[everything else being ok] have i missed something really obvious?
thanks
October 26, 2011 05:44PM

the baud rate should be 19200 right?

Teacup talks 115200 baud (unless you changed that in Teacup's config.h).

October 26, 2011 06:32PM
Can some one help me please?

I am trying to figure out how to connect the thermistor to the Gen7. Looking at the 1.3 schematics it seems that only a +5V and Arduino sensor input are used. Since I have a 1.2 board, I reckoned I should connect the thermistor to the +5V and the sensor pin (top pin and middle pin on the Gen7 1.2 PCcool smiley.

The RepRap host software seemed to read the temperature as it started out at 20 degrees. After a while it became zero.

In the meantime I had switched on the heater to see if it all worked and since the temperature did not rise on the screen, I figured my resistor was not wired up properly.

Ten seconds later and with a burned finger I concluded that the temperature reading was rubbish...

I did update the thermistor table with one for this specific thermistor and I checked the wires twice; did I chose the wrong pin assignment?
October 27, 2011 07:10AM

Looking at the 1.3 schematics it seems that only a +5V and Arduino sensor input are used.

Uhm. The blue tracks in the layout are GND and the 5V pin was dropped for v1.2 ...

(top pin and middle pin on the Gen7 1.2 PC

Middle and bottom pin ... the top pin is used for active sensors only, which are rarely seen at RepRap.

My best guess is, your mis-wiring didn't do any harm, though. You just got inverted temperature readings.

October 27, 2011 07:25AM
Traumflug Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Looking at the 1.3 schematics it seems that only a
> +5V and Arduino sensor input are used.
>
> Uhm. The blue tracks in the layout are GND and the
> 5V pin was dropped for v1.2 ...
I actually looked at the PCB blueprints; I just found the colored version smiling smiley

> My best guess is, your mis-wiring didn't do any
> harm, though. You just got inverted temperature
> readings.
I was sort of hoping that as the thermistor has a resistance and the Arduino has some internal resistance as well...

Thanks for the clarification, I'll move the +5V to the GND in the connector.

Hello guys!
I have a problem with gen7 board 1.2 and I dont know how to solve it...
Any ideas?
confused smiley
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login