Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

R2C2, a really new generation -- ARM 32bits, 100MHz, runs RepRap at 725mm/s !!

Posted by casainho 
Re: New cutting edge electronics soon available -- ARM 32bits @ 100MHz
August 15, 2011 01:59PM
Hi,

Dont get me wrong, but you could used the Leaf Maple board and made an shield containing all stepper controllers + extruder control like a RAPMS, it would something like a ReMPS, heheehe.

It is Arduino API compatible, so to port the firmwares to Maple would be much easier, you wouldn't have to maintain as much sourceCode/hardware as you do now...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/15/2011 02:01PM by MtCS.
August 15, 2011 03:25PM
MtCS Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Hi,
>
> Dont get me wrong, but you could used the Leaf
> Maple board and made an shield containing all
> stepper controllers + extruder control like a
> RAPMS, it would something like a ReMPS, heheehe.

That's exactly what I wouldn't want to do. Look to R2C2 RepRap electronics kit:

1º - It's only one board. As user, I prefer a simple, integrated and complete solution - that's what R2C2 is.

> It is Arduino API compatible, so to port the
> firmwares to Maple would be much easier, you
> wouldn't have to maintain as much
> sourceCode/hardware as you do now...

2º - Not really as there are very good resources for the ARM LPC17xx that R2C2 uses. You may want to read this blog message about this subject.

3º - ARM LPC17xx that R2C2 uses is superior (and more expensive) than the STM32F103RB that Maple board uses. LPC17xx have more peripherals/resources: as 10bits DAC, USB host and OTG, Ethernet MAC, 512kbytes programming memory and runs @ 100MHz.
With more advanced and different peripherals than Arduino, there is no reason to limit ourselfs just for use Arduino(Maple) shields.

I like Arduino however I am not afraid to go with a more advanced technology, even if looks like it will be more difficult.

---
New cutting edge RepRap electronics, ARM 32 bits @ 100MHz runs RepRap @ 725mm/s:

[www.3dprinting-r2c2.com]
Re: R2C2, a really new generation of electronics -- ARM 32bits @ 100MHz
August 15, 2011 03:54PM
First of all, I just want to do what I did not do before. Congratualations on the design and production, that initiative is very good for the community in general. The All-in-one aproach is very good, I always liked it. Unfortunely I cant afford it right now. If I could I would buy your bord for sure. Though the advantage of a RAMPS like paroach is that you can afterwards upgrade just the shield part for a newer one. and keep the microcontroller board. I think that modularity is what made arduino so flexible.

According to LeafLAbs, they will launch a SMT32 board too. Maybe it would be possible to use the Maple IDE, that is very arduino compatible, to port the existing firmwares and then imorouve them. I say this becouse the power of the Opensource community is something that should be considered a big advantage. The use of a existing platform like arduino/Maple or its software could help other DIY people to addopt your board.
August 15, 2011 04:06PM
Though the advantage of a RAMPS
> like paroach is that you can afterwards upgrade
> just the shield part for a newer one. and keep the
> microcontroller board. I think that modularity is
> what made arduino so flexible.

Modularity have it's own advantages, mainly for development. Looking at past, looks like Arduino was more a choice for development than for final product.

R2C2 also have an expansion header for development/hacking. The stepper motors signals are all exposed for headers, for example.

> According to LeafLAbs, they will launch a SMT32
> board too. Maybe it would be possible to use the
> Maple IDE, that is very arduino compatible, to
> port the existing firmwares and then imorouve
> them. I say this becouse the power of the
> Opensource community is something that should be
> considered a big advantage. The use of a existing
> platform like arduino/Maple or its software could
> help other DIY people to addopt your board.

I don't see Arduino as way to make complex systems. RepRap 3D printers are now complex systems and will be more in future, specially if we want to make machines that are easy to use, working out of the box and have the latest technology.

Arduino is limited and limits development, because it lacks the powerful tool JTAG Debugger!

---
New cutting edge RepRap electronics, ARM 32 bits @ 100MHz runs RepRap @ 725mm/s:

August 16, 2011 10:14AM
Correction. LeafLabs released Maple RET6 that comes with a STM32F103RET6.

"The RET6 has over 3 times the RAM (64Kcool smiley, 4 times the Flash memory (512Kcool smiley, and many additional peripherals (like DACs!) not present on the RBT6. "

RET6 is more similar to LPC17xx.
Hi David,
I am a freelance journalist based in Barcelona, and would be very interested in meeting you to find out more about RepRap.
Please contact me at the address above, or ring 675 836 140.
Saludos,
Michael Bunn
October 21, 2011 06:54PM
R2C2 running RepRap Mendel at his maximum speed 725mm/s

Bobc optimized even more the firmware and the theoretical maximum speed is about 2080mm/s!

We tried to achieve the higher possible velocity with our RepRap Mendel before it started to missing steeps and it turns out to be 725mm/s!! The maximum acceleration were 3925mm/s^2.

Read more (with video) here:

---

October 22, 2011 04:41AM
Oh my... That's amazing.

Any chance the extruder can actually print at that speed too ?
October 22, 2011 05:20AM
I don't know... but I believe high speed printing is mainly for high quality prints, where quantity of plastic extruded is very small... so, extruder may be able to be ok. Like using 1.7mm instead of 3mm, for example.

---

October 22, 2011 06:36AM
Right, got the point, higher resolution without making the print last forever.
I can't wait to try one of those boards.
October 22, 2011 07:21AM
We plan to open the shop in next 2 weeks. Please read this page: [www.3dprinting-r2c2.com]

---

VDX
Re: R2C2, a really new generation -- ARM 32bits, 100MHz, runs RepRap at 725mm/s !!
October 22, 2011 03:42PM
... this high speeds could be problematic for FDM-printing, but will be ideal for powder-laser-sintering!

With melting spots as small as 0.05mm and layer heights of maybe 0.02mm printing of bigger objects will last for ever with 'normal' speeds eye rolling smiley

Viktor
--------
Aufruf zum Projekt "Müll-freie Meere" - [reprap.org] -- Deutsche Facebook-Gruppe - [www.facebook.com]

Call for the project "garbage-free seas" - [reprap.org]
What motors are you using, and does that speed require 24V operation? (However good your acceleration algorithm, the back EMF eventually overcomes the supply voltage, leaving no torque. For SY42STH47-1684B motors and standard mechanics, I calculate this limit as around 350mm/s at 12V, increasing linearly with supply voltage.)
Re: R2C2, a really new generation -- ARM 32bits, 100MHz, runs RepRap at 725mm/s !!
October 23, 2011 05:04AM
VDX Wrote:
> ... this high speeds could be problematic for
> FDM-printing, but will be ideal for
> powder-laser-sintering!
>
> With melting spots as small as 0.05mm and layer
> heights of maybe 0.02mm printing of bigger objects
> will last for ever with 'normal' speeds eye rolling smiley

We believe actual firmware can do at least 2000mm/s. But we also believe that with more optimizations it can go up to the limit of stepper motor drivers: 5000mm/s.

rebecca.palmer Wrote:
> What motors are you using, and does that speed
> require 24V operation? (However good your
> acceleration algorithm, the back EMF eventually
> overcomes the supply voltage, leaving no torque.
> For SY42STH47-1684B motors and standard mechanics,
> I calculate this limit as around 350mm/s at 12V,
> increasing linearly with supply voltage.)

I don't know the reference number of my motors. Motors voltage are of 2.8V IIRC.

I am using 24V power supply.

---

December 09, 2011 10:15AM
Hi guys,

anyone here has build this board NOT using kit?
I plan to build one using my own PCBs.
Additional question: do you know any European supplier of A4988 driver? I found only Farnell got one but ships from USA.
December 09, 2011 10:36AM
radiospares have some. I'm not sure there's an english language version, sorry.
June 20, 2012 07:47AM
Hi

As I see in the technical documentation of the r2c2 borad there are two ARM processors in the processing sub circuit the both processors have the same name LPC175X when I tried to consult the datasheet of the LPC 175x I discovered a range of processors of type LPC175X but I didn't know which two could I use in the R2C2 board

As you see in the picture that I captured form the board documentation

Two different ARM that have the same name but they are differents architectures

hope that my question is clear

Thank you
June 20, 2012 08:10AM
Hello.

R2C2 uses LPC1758.

---

August 19, 2012 06:38AM
in the link: [shop.3dprinting-r2c2.com]

R2C2 Starter Kit PLUS : Currently out of stock. New batch available on 10 August 2012

When will it be available ? Today is August 19, 2012
August 19, 2012 06:52AM
You are correct. There is a delay on production due to August holidays here in Portugal. We plan to have the boards ready to sell on the 1 or 2 weeks of August.
But there is a some good news waiting for this new batch ;-)

We are working on a Wifi shield for R2C2 (using Linux cheap board) and right now I can send and receive commands using a terminal. We are working to adapt ReplicatorG_R2C2 for Wifi communications with R2C2:

Read more here.

---

Is there any update on the availability of this kit? I have been waiting for quite some time for it to become available again.

Thanks,
Albert
September 11, 2012 09:16AM
Albert Latham Wrote:
> Is there any update on the availability of this
> kit? I have been waiting for quite some time for
> it to become available again.

Hello Albert.

Thank you to be with us. We hope to start selling the new batch in 2 days (next Thursday). There are more users waiting for them and discussing on R2C2 support group, were you can find more information: [groups.google.com]

Thank you.

--
Jorge Daniel Pinto
+351 927 145 983
jpinto@bitbox.pt

www.bitbox.pt
IEUA - Universidade de Aveiro
Portugal

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/11/2012 09:20AM by casainho.

---

What is the cost of the R2C2 kit?
September 13, 2012 04:21PM
Hello.

R2C2 boards are now available again on the shop: [shop.3dprinting-r2c2.com]

Thank you.

---

September 21, 2012 11:46PM
Great Development Jorge.

I’m New to the reprap World so, I just read this whole topic, and your answers where very precise and clear, and that’s really important from people who are serious specially to this community. Congrats for defending your product. thumbs up

Please post me, i will like to talk to you next week in regards some OEM production for a future project.

And try to get us more videos with some printing action!!! smiling bouncing smiley

Hector Marquez
Production/Gral Manager

Akai Tech Corp
Miami, FL 33166

We are computer Wholeseller of used and refurbish Computer, Notebooks and LCD Monitors
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login