Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

New ARM-based Arduino

Posted by misan 
New ARM-based Arduino
September 19, 2011 03:59PM
A new Arduino (prototype) is out. Based on ARM processor has been presented in NYC Maker Fair.

[arduino.cc]

Sounds a very interesting target to extend the reach of RAMPS.
Re: New ARM-based Arduino
October 28, 2011 08:12AM
Will it be plug compatible with existing RAMPS and other shields for the current Arduino Mega 1280 and 2560? Reading that link, it seems like even though the connectors look to be the same, it won't be compatible since the new ARM-based Arduino will be running on 3.3 instead of 5V.
October 28, 2011 05:09PM
Doubt that will be a problem since the Mega (from what I understand) can be run on 5v through the pin, or powered 7-12v (recomended) 6-20v(min/max) through the power plug.
October 29, 2011 03:30AM
If the processor is running at 3.3V, signals coming out of the CPU will be 3.3V as well. This isn't sufficient for the currently used MOSFETs, for example, so some redesign will be needed.

Generation 7 Electronics Teacup Firmware RepRap DIY

November 30, 2011 08:51AM
Between that new arm-based arduino, the raspberry pi, and the beagle bone, I'd bet the next generation of reprap electronics will be arm-based !

I'd like to get everyone's idea about which of those - or any other board you may know about - will more likely be used for reprap driving in the future ?

IMO the raspberry pi is a good candidate regarding the price tag, but I think it's not as "open minded" as the 2 others which may be a problem.

Edit : the beaglebone flyer even list 3D printers and robot as the first item in its target list eye popping smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/30/2011 08:52AM by DeuxVis.
November 30, 2011 01:15PM
The Arduino Due will most likely be powering the repraps by the first half of next year as the more popular firmwares are based on Arduino. Minor Hardware and Software tweaks might be all that's needed for the jump.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login