Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

High impact polystyrene

Posted by Gamer 
High impact polystyrene
December 07, 2011 01:47PM
Was interested to know if HIPS (high impact polystyrene) could be used in a typical 3D printer (i.e. MakerBot or Ultimaker etc.)?

Thanks!
Re: High impact polystyrene
December 07, 2011 02:58PM
It is used as support material in some Stratasys machines, so in theory yes. I think it needs quite high temperatures, so might need a stainless steel extruder rather than one made with PEEK and PTFE.

[www.hydraraptor.blogspot.com]
December 07, 2011 06:43PM
Thank you - if that's the case then we need to build a machine ASAP. Also - any ideas for a source for HIPS spools?

Thanks!
December 13, 2011 10:40AM
I've printed with HIPS I acquired from HaveBlue a while ago.

It prints almost exactly like ABS in every way.

Also, some of the "ABS" currently sold by esunpla is almost entirely polystyrene, and behaves almost exactly like the HIPS I have printed with. It even softens in limonene just like HIPS.

Why do you want to use HIPS?

www.Fablicator.com
April 29, 2012 01:48PM
The biggest reason to use HIPS is cost. The raw material can be purchased for about $1 / lb less, so after a couple of markups by the extruder / seller, it should be about $4-5 less per lb.

It also has better resonace than ABS / PLA, so whistles and musical instruments would sound better.
April 23, 2013 02:13AM
We could supplier the HIPS filament,1.75mm & 3mm and more than 10 color for options.

www.ecoreprap.com
barret@ecoreprap.com
May 29, 2013 01:47AM
A typical printer won't be suitable for a polystyrene tyle. A bit modefied machine is needed for this purpose.

Alamanda Polymers
July 09, 2013 09:47PM
i have used two color samples of high impact polystyrene in my prusa i2 which has a standard j-head hotend... the material extrudes better than abs and has a better finish quality ....Also it melts at the same temperature as abs

the only downside is that it is not as sticky as abs so sometimes it starts lifting up at corners ... but besides that it is a very good material ..
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login