Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Does PLA outgas?

Posted by Mazaw 
Does PLA outgas?
July 02, 2012 05:15PM
I think this might be the place to ask if PLA outgasses anything after it's printed.

Specifically, I was thinking about printing a card box for collectible card games, of which there are many designs freely available, but I'm not sure if someone's printed and used one for storage for a long enough length of time to notice any yellowing of the cards.

I'm printing one now and putting non-valuable cards in there to see if I notice (and a control in a conventional polycarbonate card box), but I'd imagine it may take years to notice by eye.
Re: Does PLA outgas?
July 21, 2015 05:34PM
So, I am wondering if you ever found the answer to your question ? did it outgas
September 27, 2015 02:31PM
I would be very interested in knowing the answer too.
VDX
September 27, 2015 04:32PM
... I think, 'outgassing' or chemical interactions is more related to the additives, than the PLA itself ...

Viktor
--------
Aufruf zum Projekt "Müll-freie Meere" - [reprap.org] -- Deutsche Facebook-Gruppe - [www.facebook.com]

Call for the project "garbage-free seas" - [reprap.org]
September 28, 2015 02:13AM
Hi Viktor,

Thanks for that. Lucky for me, I work at a NASA lab and so I asked by buddies and they said "Oh, check out the NASA outgassing database." [outgassing.nasa.gov]. (Thank you Greg!)

It turns out that ABS (unknown supplier), MakerGeeks PET and Makerbot PLA have been measured and are listed in the NASA database. Obviously, the outgassing probably varies as a function of manufacturer, and your hint about additives is probably very relevant. Based on the database, I will start with PLA since it showed lower outgassing than ABS or PET, and based on your comment, I'll choose clear PLA to minimize additives.

Zack

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/28/2015 02:25AM by ZGainsforth.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login