Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Printing with PET(E) Plastic

Posted by Lodorenos 
Printing with PET(E) Plastic
July 29, 2012 01:59AM
I have been looking into expanding the range of printable plastics, but I have yet to see any information about printing in PET plastic. With easy access to it, I would like to know if anyone here has done any research into printing with this material. If so, what are the positive and negative sides of it, what heat bed temp did you use, and what did you have your hot end temp set to?

This is also my first post in this community, hello to everyone!
Re: Printing with PET(E) Plastic
August 07, 2012 05:13PM
Since no one has seemed to know any further information in regards to PET(E) usage, I'll attempt to make some of my own filament with a modified RecycleBot and report back how it goes. I believe that my current hotend, rated at 350'C, should do just fine.
September 03, 2012 01:00PM
Nope. still building my first printer.

Considering that PET melts somewhere around 260C, I'd think your extruder would be up to the task. Not exact sure about the bed temp. If you happen to know the suggested bed temp for Nylon or Polycarbonate, I'd *guess that it would be similar, since the melt temp is in the same general vicinity.

I'll probably get pegged as a "pill" for all comments about safety eventually (if not already winking smiley ), but I'll say it anyway...Just make sure to ventilate in order to avoid any potential Acetaldehyde contamination. It should not be a high risk if the temp remains low, but still, safer than sorry if your raw material gets overheated and begins to decompose, and in general, simply good practice.
August 30, 2013 08:37PM
Hi

To my great surprise. In a nearby store for gardeners I discovered rod of 1.8 mm PET. It was a rod for trellising vines.

Printing on the parameters passed 250C.
Durability is beyond praise.
Yes it is very durable!
The problem was only that he did not want to go through my gear feed extruder.
Since the gear is left virtually no trace of it for strength.
I had to put one more spring.
I extruder made ​​in advance of durable aluminum alloy 7071.
The print quality of the view is not very kraschivoe but the strength of welding layers is much better than the ABS and PLA.
If the print substrate and the substrate is already hands-catching. Just cut off.

Adheres well to glass coated with PVA and water.

Cons: I noticed in the press.
The strong smell. Not for the home.
Plastic lasts. between junctions formed bone.

[youtu.be]

My printer end extruder
[www.facebook.com]
October 29, 2013 08:40AM
Hi guys.
Successfully printed model from PLA. 260 C.
At now without any problem on clean glass 80 C

look:

[www.youtube.com]

my facebook account feel free to contacting
[www.facebook.com]
June 08, 2014 11:41PM
Hi,

Regarding to the PET filament,there is another kind of filamenttongue sticking out smileyETG filamnet,which is a biodegradable filament.

and printer temperature is around 240 C,Maybe your guys could have a test.

Barret
www.ecoreprap.com
offer pla/abs/hips/tpe/petg filament
November 15, 2014 09:09AM
PETG is biodegradeable?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login