Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Looking for a MIM filament....anyone make one?

Posted by 1013 
Looking for a MIM filament....anyone make one?
July 09, 2013 07:28PM
So Metal Injection Molding uses basically the same injection molding machines as plastic injection molding....
So why not have a MIM filament, just like there are plastic filaments for 3D printing?

I know that there is a large shrink rate, a de-binding step, and a sintering step that will require special furnaces, or chemicals, but I am sure that can be dealt with.

First step is to try to extrude some MIM filament and see if it can extrude in a 3D printer. The temperatures are nearly the same so it should be possible, though it may wear out nozzles quickly.
Re: Looking for a MIM filament....anyone make one?
July 23, 2013 12:05PM
1013...interesting idea! am looking into this as we speak/type.

Have you worked with MIM before? What kind of system (binder specifically) were you considering?
July 24, 2013 12:38PM
naughtymc Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> 1013...interesting idea! am looking into this as
> we speak/type.
>
> Have you worked with MIM before? What kind of
> system (binder specifically) were you considering?

I have only dealt with ordering the final products....never really worked with the raw material. I have access to some furnaces that could be used for de-binding, and perhaps sintering...
February 16, 2014 11:00PM
any idea on what binders are used ... a mim filament could be made in a home based extruder if the binder is know... can it?
March 04, 2014 09:28AM
Hello all,

I'm also looking into MIM filament.

I'm working in injection molding for more than 10 years, and I can tell you that MIM machine are basically the same than "classical" injection molding machine.

Since I'm also involved into rapid prototyping, 3D printing, etc... I was wondering that 3D printed MIM object will offer huge cost and lead time reduction for small quantities... for now I was not able to find any MIM filament...

Was anyone of you able to find one ?
If I provide MIM raw material (pellets), is anyone of you able to extrude (diam 1.75mm) and send the roll back ?

Binders are often a blend with a polyolefin (PP, HDPE, LLDPE) or POM, with a kind of wax.
March 15, 2014 06:01AM
I've had a quick look into producing MIM Filament and it looks do-able but I can see a few problems due to the MIM Feedstock being designed to be used in a completely different way.

Having said that if I can find some MIM Feedstock in Australia I will be giving this a shot to see how it comes out. Be brilliant to be able to print in this while using PLA or similar filament for support material. Only downside I can see is all the extra processes that it has to go through. If thermal de-binding is used from what I have seen it is generally a slow heat up and soak process that can last 8 hours+ so it may not be overly practical in most situations due to the cost & time.
Ceramic Filament instead of metal filament
June 05, 2014 02:30PM
found this info:

[www.3ders.org]

it´s not what you seek for , but similar, in processing > debindering > sintering
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login