Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

How do SLA prints compare with extruded prints in terms of strength?

Posted by strantor 
How do SLA prints compare with extruded prints in terms of strength?
February 20, 2014 01:28AM
I'm trying to make a prosthetic hand, and I want it to be very strong. I have tried printing it in Nylon 645, T-glase, and ABS, and while I can get parts that are very strong in one direction, There is always a weak point where pressure is applied in an unsuitable vector because of layer direction. The parts are too complex to get every hole and every joint printed in the ideal direction.

I have a hunch that SLA printed parts have a lot more consistent strength in their 3 axes. I suspect that the issue of layer bonding is much less of an issue and the printed part is much more of a homogeneous structure. For example, I think that a SLA printed chain link would be equally strong if printed standing up, laying down, or on its side. Like an injection molded part. Am I right? Sort of right? I can't seem to find the answer on google.

If I am right, and the strength is consistent, then how strong can a SLA printed part be? As strong as injection molded ABS? Stronger? Weaker? I found some interesting numbers in the Accura Bluestone datasheet, but they don't really mean much to me outside of comparison to other UV resin's numbers which also don't mean much to me. Also I can't find where to buy Accura Bluestone, or any indication as to how much it costs, How do the other, more "maker friendly" resins such as Makerjuice SubG+ stack up to this industrial polymer and to RepRap printed ABS?
A2
Re: How do SLA prints compare with extruded prints in terms of strength?
February 20, 2014 05:58PM
You need to look at more than one material property to make an assessment, below is one example.
Units, test temperature, test standard, sample size, etc, need to be the same to compare different material properties.
You need to determine what kind of plastic the BLUESTONEâ„¢ SLA Resin is, then you find out if it's amorphous or crystalline, or a semi-crystalline.
You'll also need to determine exactly what type of filament material you have.

If the resin is amorphous it's properties typically will be the same in all planes.
[en.wikipedia.org]

Flexural Strength a mechanical parameter for brittle material, is defined as a material's ability to resist deformation under load.
[en.wikipedia.org]

BLUESTONEâ„¢ SLA Resin
Flexural Strength: (Mpa) 124-154.
[www.peridotinc.com]

ABS
Flexural Strength: (Mpa) 60 - 90.
[www.stratasys.com]

Material Properties
[www.engineeringtoolbox.com]

Common Unit Converters
[www.translatorscafe.com]
Re: How do SLA prints compare with extruded prints in terms of strength?
March 08, 2014 05:06PM
have you tried using acetone on abs after you done printing it? search for acetone vapor treatment. it will make layers stronger.

i dont know if it would work but what about leaving a hole in each piece for a small piece of metal like a set screw like this from mcmaster-carr part #92313a254. or flat spring steel. you could possibly print part of it pause print and insert metal piece the resume print.

i have also seen fibre filled filament that may be stronger.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login