Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Using industry polymers/resins to test & build printers?

Posted by Cheshire 
Has the idea been entertained to use industry materials to test / develop the reprap style device that would eventually use whatever materials the diy community comes up with?
Re: Using industry polymers/resins to test & build printers?
May 14, 2010 11:48PM
Has the idea been entertained to use industry materials to test / develop the reprap style device that would eventually use whatever materials the diy community comes up with?

Yes-ish. RepRap is a mix of researchers and diy-ers, although we occasionally present as hobbyists. We've been focusing on thermoplastics, since they are easy to use and easy to source.

Are there any materials we should look at? Or scientific papers you're reading?

-Sebastien, RepRap.org library gnome.

Remember, you're all RepRap developers (once you've joined the super-secret developer mailing list), and the wiki, RepRap.org, [reprap.org] is for everyone and everything! grinning smiley
Sorry, I guess I should clarify.
I meant more in line with purchase a bag of the SLA compound company-X uses, because you know what is feasible with their formula. Build something that can manufacture parts using the (understandibly far more expensive) company-X compound, and from that point discover what else works?

At worst you end up with a machine that is still a small fraction of a 'proper' machine, does what you want it to do, is perfect for further testing, and if you ran out of clean dishes, you could print new ones? (the last part is a joke)

(company-x being whomever is in the appropriate field / has a device that does what one is trying to emulate. Objet / zcorp / desktop factory / etc.)
Or simply does anyone have an old epson piezo inkjet printe to test these suggested polymer mixes in for single layer proof of concepts?
A suggestion for which UV polymer solutions would be most viable for testing to use with an epson printer outfitted with a continuous ink mod? (external canisters are so much easier to load)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login