3d print PEEK
March 24, 2015 06:29AM
Hello guys,
I found an article ( [www.3ders.org] )
where a german company claims they can print PEEK with a hot-end and also sell PEEK filaments .
Apparently they have 2 website, but this one is in english ( [indmatec.de] )

You could print custom implants or components for a reprap extruder.
What do you think of it?
Re: 3d print PEEK
July 01, 2015 02:59AM
Ehhh.... considering that most people have PEEK as a liner in their hot ends, this is probably going to start off very slow.
It would actually allow people to print custom implants and medical stuff, but if custom body modification is the only impetus, I think this is going to happen very slowly if at all.

That said, I'm working on a composite hot end that uses a borosilicate glass instead of the PTFE liner. I'm saving my nickels and dimes to buy the oxyacetylene torches I need to do the glass work.
September 15, 2015 04:16PM
We printed this spiral vase in PEEK today on our Hyrel 3D System 30M with the MK1-350 print head, which prints at up to 400C and also prints with polycarbonate.

That's the MK1-350 above the vase.
September 16, 2015 01:22AM
The most expensive plastic vase I have ever seen. winking smiley
I have a short sample of PEEK filament, I am looking forward to trying it.

Does the extrusion work well? Did you notice any issues, such as delamination, filament break, slipping, ...?
September 16, 2015 08:02AM
cristian
The most expensive plastic vase I have ever seen. winking smiley
I have a short sample of PEEK filament, I am looking forward to trying it.

Does the extrusion work well? Did you notice any issues, such as delamination, filament break, slipping, ...?

Haha, agreed. Yet, we test each head, so... cost of doing business.

The extrusion works great. The PEEK bonds very well on a polycarbonate sheet - in fact, so well that it's a bit of work to remove it from the PC base. It's not sticking as well on plain glass, but we are still experimenting. We set the extruder temp to 390C for PEEK. The feed path is all stainless, brass 0.5mm nozzle.
October 31, 2016 04:25PM
Actually, we found that the PEEK prints great when you first print a one layer disk of ABS.
December 24, 2016 11:35AM
Thank you for the tip!
February 10, 2017 04:39AM
Hello Davo3,
What bed temperature do you use?
Do you use a heated building chamber?
Which chamber temperature is useful?
Many Thanks
Philipp
November 02, 2018 09:52AM
Sorry, Philipp, I haven't checked in in a while.

We were using an 80C bed with a chamber at close to 55C as we could get it (but at least ~40C).

We now have a program to create a spiral pad of PEEK (better than a brim, with only one start and stop) and then G54 offset the Z by one layer thickness, then start the standard gcode. This removes the need to align and print from a second head for ABS.

And our new models have beds up to 120C (optionally 200C).
January 18, 2019 08:03AM
Note also that the Anycubic Ultrabase is fantastic; we print PEEK on it with a 95C bed.
sss
February 19, 2019 09:59AM
i printed some peek and ultem parts with 400c v6 and enclosure (no active heating , only the bed)
what i found is , unless you have an active heated chamber its worthless to print in those filaments .
the parts might look nice and all , but the layer adhesion will be poor .
they wont function near their advertised tensile strength .
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login