Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Newbie looking for UV-curing help

Posted by merlinmacdonald 
Newbie looking for UV-curing help
June 28, 2010 06:23AM
Hi there,

I am currently carrying out the dissertation section of my Masters degree and need some help with polymer work. A lot of my Googling research keeps bringing me back here and there seems to be a lot of knowledgeable people here, so I was hoping to find someone who could help me...

Basically, for my research I have to encapsulate quantum dots in PMMA so I can test the photostability of the compounds (for use in luminescent solar concentators). The way I have been taught to make PMMA is with MMA, Lucite powder and AIBN initiator in an overnight water bath (60C) and then five hours dry curing at 80-120C. Unfortunately there are temperature issues with quantum dots so it has been suggested that UV curing is a possibility but I know nothing about this! Can anyone help?

I need to end up with a clear PMMA sample with as little discolouration as possible, as optical clarity and transmission are important. Any suggestions?
VDX
Re: Newbie looking for UV-curing help
June 28, 2010 06:43AM
... i've used "Acrifix192" - its a MMA-glue, hardening to solid PMMA with UV (fast) or ambient light (within hours) ... no need of heating winking smiley

Viktor
--------
Aufruf zum Projekt "Müll-freie Meere" - [reprap.org] -- Deutsche Facebook-Gruppe - [www.facebook.com]

Call for the project "garbage-free seas" - [reprap.org]
June 28, 2010 07:33AM
Cheers for the reply VDX - are you just using the Acrifix by itself then or as an initiator? Please pardon any obvious ignorance as this isn't my field and I have just been thrust into it!
VDX
June 28, 2010 07:47AM
... i used it for testing as UV-curable paste for 3D-printing with a paste-dispenser (in contrary to a FFF-extruder)

Viktor
--------
Aufruf zum Projekt "Müll-freie Meere" - [reprap.org] -- Deutsche Facebook-Gruppe - [www.facebook.com]

Call for the project "garbage-free seas" - [reprap.org]
June 28, 2010 08:49AM
I'm looking to make bulk samples (60mm x 60mm x 3mm) so this may not be suitable. Thanks anyway
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login