Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Polycarbonate 3d printing

Posted by x_sebastian1 
Polycarbonate 3d printing
June 10, 2016 04:44PM
Hello lads,
i'm building a kitcar and i need some headlights and taillights printed in Polycarbonate. There is already a 3d model, just need somebody who knows a thing or 2 about 3d printing and has the equipment.

Cheers,
Sebastian
Re: Polycarbonate 3d printing
June 16, 2016 04:00PM
You won't be able to get the clarity that you need for the intended use. It would take many many hours of post print work and that's even if it does work. You would be looking at a high temperature FFF machine to do the work and even then I would question the safety of something like this in the event of a crash.
October 11, 2016 11:02AM
I still like the approach! Did you manage anything untill now?
May 14, 2018 09:26PM
Polycarbonate has high melt point, Most of 3d printer cannot support this material. You could have a trial with PMMA or PC/ABS. PMMA has the similar opacity as PC.
May 15, 2018 02:51PM
Perhaps print molds and vacuform the parts?

[www.youtube.com]

[www.youtube.com]

confused smiley
December 21, 2018 05:50PM
I would suggest Colorfabb´s XT or HT clear material if you really,really want to FDM print the parts.
This when printed at a high temperature together with 120% flow rate (for filling the gaps between lines/layers)
has been shown to give the best clear results of any FDM material.
And, it´s really easy to print with too.

If you would go and use SLA, I would recommend Monocure 3D rapid clear resin, which is the clearest SLA resin I have seen.
It really, really is see-through-clear.

Cozmicray´s idea of making a vaccum mold is also a really,really good way to do it.

I would say that for just the headlights, where no see-through clarity is needed, but translucent will suffice, FDM is a viable option.
But do yourself a favour and use the colorfabb XT Filament, it really is damn good.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login