Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

... UV-resin shelf-life more than 10 years !!

Posted by VDX 
VDX
... UV-resin shelf-life more than 10 years !!
October 30, 2019 05:01PM
Hi all,

some 10+ years ago I've received a bottle of experimental UV-resin from Fernando (spota) -- found the bottle in the basement and it was still fluid.

So tested it with "standard setting", same as for a common white resin (in the last image) -- looks like perfect prints! ... after 10 years in the basement (with broken cap) smileys with beer

... here the white resin (with a printing error):

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/31/2019 04:43AM by VDX.

Viktor
--------
Aufruf zum Projekt "Müll-freie Meere" - [reprap.org] -- Deutsche Facebook-Gruppe - [www.facebook.com]

Call for the project "garbage-free seas" - [reprap.org]
VDX
Re: ... UV-resin shelf-life more than 10 years !!
October 31, 2019 04:45AM
... this clear resin needs some percents more UV-curing time per slice than the white one -- not all fine details survived:

Viktor
--------
Aufruf zum Projekt "Müll-freie Meere" - [reprap.org] -- Deutsche Facebook-Gruppe - [www.facebook.com]

November 13, 2019 02:01PM
That's really impressive, it's the first time i've seen photos of a printed object with handmade UV-resin

I remember reading many times that post
As Fernando (spota) says in this Link (2008) the chemicals and recipe are:

Per 100g of UV-curing resin:
3g of Benzil CAS: 134-81-6
1g of Benzoilisobutylether (BIsoBE) CAS: 119-61-9
1g of MDEA CAS: 105-59-9
0.5g of EDTA (CAS: 60-00-4, 150-43-6) or 0.1g of Hydrochinone (CAS: 123-31-9)
complete to 100g with Polyester resin.

I've put CAS numbers on last two.

First i need to start building my FDM printer before an incursion into SLA, but i'm afraid that i'm not sure that i can get all the chemicals here (Argentina) i need to send some emails to suppliers before trying.

Also This comment says something about buying from hong kong these chemicals, i wonder if someone tried that
VDX
November 13, 2019 02:41PM
... search at Amazon for "elegoo resin" -- should be much easier ...

Viktor
--------

November 30, 2019 04:56PM
Wow that is so great!

I did get around to procuring all the materials for the resin, but I just can't get it to cure in my 3D printer! (Its an LCD machine)
But it does cure in the UV lamp I have, just not in the printer!
Any idea why?
VDX
November 30, 2019 05:01PM
... could be, your LCD has an UV-filter, which blocks the needed UV wavelength ...

Viktor
--------

VDX
November 30, 2019 05:04PM
... my DLP-printer has 405nm-LED's which shine through a "mobile phone"-display -- whicht type is your "LCD machine"? - does it emit 405nm?

Viktor
--------

November 30, 2019 05:25PM
Its a 3D printer! it emits at 405nm! My other store bought resins work, but my home brew one doesn't!

and I did follow the recipe to a point, Does Benzoin Isobutyl Ether work at 405nm?
VDX
November 30, 2019 07:39PM
... it's a decent chemistry to find the correct formula for higher UV wavelengths above 300nm! - so search for 405nm "photo-initiators" available for private use ...

Viktor
--------

December 01, 2019 04:08AM
Okay. Alright. Shall try that!
VDX
January 27, 2021 02:37AM
... and here again in direct comparison - printed on the left with an Objet (40k€), on the right with the Elegoo Mars (0.2k€) with the 12+ years old resin smoking smiley

Viktor
--------

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login