Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Visible Light / Near UV curable resins

Posted by spota 
Re: Visible Light / Near UV curable resins
February 28, 2013 12:01AM
Thanks for your reply. The thin would be about the thickness of nail polish, the thick about the consistancy of honey at room temperature. These resins are mainly used for creating heads on flies so they would most definitly be used in marine environments. Some salt, some freshwater. Most of them harden to a consistancy of two part epoxy for which they are a subsitute since it is so messy and smelly to work with.

I would really like something that would work with a laser pen like the one in this link

[www.aliexpress.com]

I do not really know how powerful it needs to be to achieve cure times that are quick. I am sure this all has to do with the thickness of the resin applied. Is a 3watt light enough? Would a 1 watt light work? Is a 365nm light more effective than a 405nm light? I am assuming the higher the wattage and lower the wavelength means a more powerful torch, but I also want to keep safety in mind, because from what I have read you are safer working with lights at the higher end of the 356nm to 405nm range. I do not have experience in this area and there is little information out there available since most is proprietary trade secrets of these manufacturers. I can see putting a nice little kit together that if priced properly would sell very well. And if the materials were easy to work, safe and provide nice results there are many fly fishmen and hobbiests that would like this. There is increasing competition out there, but there is always room for a good product. Again, thank you for your response, I look forward to your reply.
February 28, 2013 08:16PM
The newly listed UV and Visible Light Cured photopolymers at [bucktownpolymers.com] cure from the UV spectrum up to the visible ~440nm. They actually have hundreds of formulas but only list a few with Paypal links for DIY and low volume sales.

These will cure quite rapidly for your application even using a full spectrum or UV-A reaching aquarium or reptile lamp. A small laser pen from 360-440nm will also work quite well.
March 19, 2013 07:13AM
Hello Fernando,
This is Mehmet from Odak Sanat Ltd.co.,Istanbul. We are interested in purchasing some of your VL Curing Resins. I would appreciate your web-siteaddress, to see your products or technical data(viscocity- curing depth- surface hardness- packing types/prices etc.) And one more thing; which country will the shipment be made pls. My e-mail address is: maykoc@odakhobi.com

Kind regards,

Mehmet.
VDX
March 19, 2013 08:40AM
Hi Mehmet,

his site is here: [spotamaterials.com]

Viktor
--------
Aufruf zum Projekt "Müll-freie Meere" - [reprap.org] -- Deutsche Facebook-Gruppe - [www.facebook.com]

Call for the project "garbage-free seas" - [reprap.org]
March 19, 2013 12:14PM
Thank you so much Viktor.
March 19, 2013 02:51PM
hi mehmet,

which machines are you or your office running?

nuri
Hi every one have a small question, I have perfactory micro machine does any body knows what kind of light absorbing filter is placed in material basement, and if there any resin with can be used in stead of EC500 offered by envisiontec
March 24, 2013 10:49AM
Andrej Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Hi every one have a small question, I have
> perfactory micro machine does any body knows what
> kind of light absorbing filter is placed in
> material basement, and if there any resin with can
> be used in stead of EC500 offered by envisiontec

hi,
you mean the latest envisiontec micro machine? if possible please send a pic from this part.
usually you should be able to use the other resins supplied by envisiontec as well.
[dl.dropbox.com]
[dl.dropbox.com]
There is a light absorber in the bottom of material basment.
its a kind of transparent film witch takes the unneeded light,
as you can see its has been damaged and i whant to replace it, just dont know witch one shoud i use in stead.
March 25, 2013 11:06PM
Hi Andrej,

I might speculate an answer with more information. What do you mean material basement? Is it a container (VAT) holding the liquid resin? How did the film originally attach to the basement? Glue?

Gozi
March 26, 2013 03:09AM
If I had to guess, that's a sheet of Teflon FEP. It's purpose is not to absorb light but rather as the cured object is lifted up, the teflon sheet peels off and that's what allows the most recently cured layer to detach from the bottom of the vat.

I assume there's some sort of frame or something that seals the film to the bottom and keeps the resin from flowing under the film?
March 26, 2013 06:46AM
That sheet is placet beetween the material basment and bottom glas, there is anther transparent material in the basment it self.
Can you give me more specific details about that Teflon FEP, Serial number, that i can search it on a web to buy.
Thanks in Andvance.
March 26, 2013 08:01AM
The micro machine has a DLP projector from Lg instalend, they also Use a light absorber filter, does any one knows from with components the material basment is made, as far i had seen, its made from 3 parts bottom glas, then that small squaer film that i had shown the pictures, after that the 3 part its the basment it self witch has a stratch seeling also made from some kind of plastic.
anu suggestions?
March 30, 2013 04:03PM
If you look very very closely at that thin plastic sheet that sits between the stretched membrane of the basement and the glass, it appears to be laser etched (looks to refract light just a little). It is not 100% transparent. Looking at the edges it looks like the sheet is coated with some sort of film also (appears to be peeling on the edges).

My first hunch is it has something to do with how a cured layer gets released. When moved in the z-axis, the membrane does flex and the cured layer releases from it. The thin sheet might be preventing a vacuum between the membrane and glass? and possibly protecting images from burning into the stretched membrane? or its the focal point for the projector? (trying to think of why it might be coated and laser etched like that)

As far as what it is made out of exactly - no clue ... or if an alternate plastic sheet could be used. But it does look like a plastic sheet when some special coating on it.
April 15, 2013 05:42PM
hi, sorry for my late reply.

the micro has a led projector inside. the film is a mfa-film.streched only not couted nor lasered. just streched.
Hi guys,

I'm a lab researcher and we are considering a 3D printer for prototyping some small-scale fluidics.

The MiiCraft DLP printer looks like a very promising and cost-effective device for our needs (the small but high-res print envelope is ideal). This apparently uses a 405nm LED source. Anyone have experience with one of these? Alternatively we might look into getting a student project to build a DIY DLP printer or look for money towards a Perfactory Micro.

Our other requirement beside resolution is biocompatibility. We require materials which are water-resistant and will not react with the biology we will be feeding through them. I have spotted a few resins with certified biocompatibility - the Somos WaterShed XC 11122 from DSM and Envisiontec's medical series resins - E300 or E600 seem like they would work. The only problem is I don't know if either of these will work with a 405nm source. It appears the Envisiontec printers use 405nm light themselves - could anyone confirm?

Any advice would be appreciated.
- Mike
VDX
July 01, 2013 04:13PM
Hi Mike,

actually 405nm (either LED or diodelaser) are the most used wavelength in the market ... so good chances, that your resin is sensitive for this.

There are LED's with 380nm too, but not in same counts and powers.

Another UV-light sources with 337nm are N2-TAE-lasers - there are some OS projects and receips around how to build one.

I'm actually busy with developing IR-diodelaser modules, but made previously some successfull tests with UV-curing and will do this again later this year. I have some laserdiodes with 445nm@1Watt, BluRay-lasers with 405nm@300mW, high power LED's with 405nm@9Watts drawing 21 Amperes current, LED's with 380nm@200mW and a pulsing (400kW, 200ps, 10Hz) TAE-N2-laser with 337nm ... so some materials for testing all sorts of UV-interactions winking smiley

Viktor
--------
Aufruf zum Projekt "Müll-freie Meere" - [reprap.org] -- Deutsche Facebook-Gruppe - [www.facebook.com]

Thanks for your reply, Viktor.

Looking at the DIY community, I did gather that 405nm, or however close to UV a DLP source gets was the standard. I think at least the DSM Somos materials are designed to work with commercial printers equipped with lasers which emit at around 350nm, so was wondering if anyone had experience with using them with violet light. Same goes for Envisiontec - as far as I can deduce they use a 405nm technology (from what I could dig up, it seems they use Ciba IRGACURE photoinitiators - 819, 369), but it would be handy to know for sure.

We actually have an IR femtosecond laser which we have been doing some microscopic two photon lithography with. We have been considering using a very low-mag lens on our confocal microscope, combined with a Z-axis manipulator of some sort to do some large-scale prints. Not looked too much into it yet - would be a bit of a project to rig the necessary hardware and software.

- Mike
VDX
July 02, 2013 04:30PM
Hi Mike,

with the IR-fs-laser you can try with sub-micron etching or 'laser-enhanced' galvanics - there should be some acids and solutions, that will change phase when activated with IR ... have some own ideas regarding this sort of 'activating' chemistry, but have to find the time ...

Viktor
--------

Visible Light / Near UV curable resins
August 22, 2013 12:55PM
Hi ..

I also think this is the best way for the future of RepRap 3D printers.
Just think resins that harden with Ultra violet light or blue light, may be
worked better from powder particles, it will be easier to develop a print nozzle
more efficient way compared to today as it is cured. Think about it.
The grain size may be of varying sizes as may be applicable to each type.
If you have more information about this type of resin, please get back to me so that I can also
apply the use of it on my first 3D printer, called Big Brother Spectrum. Congratulations.

Saulo Quevedo.

Inovastar Technologies.
Attachments:
open | download - Big_Brother_Spectrum Impressora 3D_CNC.jpg (80.6 KB)
open | download - Conjunto de Roldanas, Fuso e Castanha.jpg (198.8 KB)
August 22, 2013 03:05PM
Hi ..

I also think this is the best way for the future of RepRap 3D printers.
Just think resins that harden with Ultra violet light or blue light, may be
worked better from powder particles, it will be easier to develop a print nozzle
more efficient way compared to today as it is cured. Think about it.
The grain size may be of varying sizes as may be applicable to each type.
If you have more information about this type of resin, please get back to me so that I can also
apply the use of it on my first 3D printer, called Big Brother Spectrum. Congratulations.

Saulo Quevedo.

Inovastar Technologies.
August 22, 2013 08:27PM
Hello guys ..

This forum helps me a lot and keeps me updated, thanks to all.
Is it possible to transform a liquid or viscous these resins cited in this forum to one or more types of powder, as is the need on the grain size? Thank you. I await answers.
I think it will be great if we can have a photosensitive resin powder, grain varied and that works well in the length of blue light, as
this color with the light frequency has no danger. Who has more information about this and can tell me, I thank you.
Thank you.

Saulo Quevedo.

InovaStar
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login