Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

ABS filament diameter

Posted by orestes 
ABS filament diameter
October 03, 2011 12:38PM
Hi all,

Does anyone know if a good tolerance is needed on the ABS filament diameter? I have found a supplier that can make 3 mm ABS filament with a tolerance of 0.3 mm. Is this any good for RepRap?

Thanks,
Ali
Re: ABS filament diameter
October 03, 2011 02:04PM
A variation from reel to reel of that much is just about acceptable but not if it varies that much throughout a reel. About 0.1mm is a big enough variation to notice.

[www.hydraraptor.blogspot.com]
October 03, 2011 02:32PM
Thanks for your reply. Do you know what goes wrong if you don't have a homogeneous diameter on your filament? I mean, when it's melted, it passes through a 0.5 mm nozzle. So what difference does it make to have an exact diameter of 3 mm on the filament?

I am making my Prusa and haven't finished yet. So I can't experiment for myself. I appreciate your sharing of experience smiling smiley
October 03, 2011 02:51PM
A piece of 3mm filament 10mm long has a volume of 70.69 cubic mm but if its 2.7 in diameter its only 57.26 cubic mm. And since the machine uses the length of filament to determine the amount of plastic coming out it has to be consistent over the length of the piece being used for each model.

FFF Settings Calculator Gcode post processors Geometric Object Deposition Tool Blog
Tantillus.org Mini Printable Lathe How NOT to install a Pololu driver
October 03, 2011 02:53PM
I see. Thanks for your reply.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login