Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

$100 Peachy Printer, Founder LOVES Rep Rap and wants to join!

Posted by rylangrayston 
$100 Peachy Printer, Founder LOVES Rep Rap and wants to join!
September 25, 2013 04:57PM
Hey Rylan Grayston Here, Im the guy that started this peachy printer thing.
kickstarter
indiegogo
http://www.peachyprinter.com

First off id like to apologize for not joining this community sooner.. iv basically just had my head to the grindstone
and haven't really been on the forms that much. Infact iv been so focused on the peachy printer that I only just found out
2 weeks ago that makerbot went closed source. I was shocked ! My personal opinion on this is that ist a huge betrayal, taking a community's efforts and using your brand to claim ownership of it !!! As I said im not all that informed about it but
I wanted to post how I felt and confirm that Peachy Will use Freedom respecting software and open hardware.
And community members have my word that it will stay that way!

Im very excited to explore the peachys unique ( untested ) ability to print
alot of its self. Probably around 95 percent of its self.

Im thinking of adding this perk/ reward and wanted to drop in and ask if everyone is ok with me calling it the "peachy RepRap pledge"?

here is a draft of how it will read:

"
Peachy RepRap:
The Peachy Can easily print 95 percent of itself(measured by weight or volume).
In support of the reprap project we will print 3 consecutive generations of the peachy.
Peachy printer prints a peachy printer
that prints a peachy printer that prints a peahcy that works! (P0--> P1-- >P2--> P3).
For 10 thousand you get the first 3 (P0,P1,P2)of these historical reproducing machines to add to your collection, the fourth (P3) is being given to Hoeken! Because he really deserves it! and on top of that you get a special invitation to meet the team! Thank you for your support helping us change the paradigms of our world .
"

This update could go out today .. let me know what you think?

Either way Im excited that I finally got an account here and used it!

Rylan Grayston

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/25/2013 07:46PM by rylangrayston.
Re: $100 Peachy Printer, Founder LOVES Rep Rap and wants to join!
September 25, 2013 11:48PM
I've pledged on your project and willing to add some more for your goodwill, but I'm definitely don't have ten thousands.
May I ask that the high cost will go for Reprap Peachy's development or just for company's profit ?

I really like the company's Ethic statements. So never sell your company for profit, if it's a need then go Blender foundation route.

Everyone should have choice to make and bootstrap their own life. There're so much more meaningful aspects of work for companies than just to maximize their own profits. Companies should also work for mankind's profit, invest and profits more from physics, engineering, sciences and inventions. The values is up to how much they could do to benefit mankind. That should be the next step of economic, it's win-win situation.

People should have a choice to buy an islands to develop or build more contries, such as Seasteading.

Now get back to work for food LOL.
September 26, 2013 04:45AM
Buytaert Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I've pledged on your project and willing to add
> some more for your goodwill, but I'm definitely
> don't have ten thousands.
> May I ask that the high cost will go for Reprap
> Peachy's development or just for company's profit
> ?
>
> I really like the company's
> E
> thic statements
. So never sell your company
> for profit, if it's a need then go Blender
> foundation route.
>
> Everyone should have choice to make and bootstrap
> their own life. There're so much more meaningful
> aspects of work for companies than just to
> maximize their own profits. Companies should also
> work for mankind's profit, invest and profits more
> from physics, engineering, sciences and
> inventions. The values is up to how much they
> could do to benefit mankind. That should be the
> next step of economic, it's win-win situation.
>
> People should have a choice to
> buy an islands to
> develop
or build more contries, such as
> Seasteading.
>
> Now get back to work for food LOL.

Great suggestion I do concur .. I will add that the 10 000 will go directly to peachy-rep-rap development!
Rep-Rap members please post more specific Ideas on how the Money would be best spent.

Ya we wont be selling out ... if anything im thinking about how to make a P 2 P run company that is owned and operated buy the community... its a bit of a far out there idea like bit coin. Id love to make a company that even I the owner / founder couldn't posibly sell out, evan if I tryed.

The profit of man kind is a really important idea, I think the current corporate narrative has got the masses all messed up.
We shoulder be thinking about what is fair for corporations, instead we should be thinking about what dose the greater good for the greater number!

I prefer to work in on technology that has political ramifications, its my way of being politically active.

I guess in some kind of technical way we are a for profit company, but not really because all I want to do with any profit is move on to the next idea that will change the world. Bitcoin, Blender, The Real News, Linux....
these things excite me a lot! sports cars, mansions, and yaughts really bore me!

any way im about to fall asleep on my keyboard so im guessing this post needs alot of editing.... ill post it and read it in the morning.
September 26, 2013 08:25PM
Just found this thread, would be better in GENERAL.
Welcome rylangrayston, like what you are doing,

Edit, seems like threads on this scattered all over the forum.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/26/2013 08:29PM by johnrpm.

Random Precision
September 27, 2013 01:33PM
hmm perhaps a modorator can make a section for the peachy printer? and move the peachy threads there. not sure where all these treads belong... in only know of the 3 in the polar bot aria where are the others?
September 28, 2013 10:32AM
Rylan,

I've just found your section in Kick starter for "Beta Testers": requires a pledge of $600 cad.

How does this tie in with your fully open source policy? Surely that division between Peachy Printer Kit and Beta Tester pledge of $500 will only be of value if you aren't releasing the build data and software as OS until you send out the first wave of Peachy Kits (non beta tester kits)?

Andy.
September 28, 2013 04:18PM
andysuth Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Rylan,
>
> I've just found your section in Kick starter for
> "Beta Testers": requires a pledge of $600 cad.
>
> How does this tie in with your fully open source
> policy? Surely that division between Peachy
> Printer Kit and Beta Tester pledge of $500 will
> only be of value if you aren't releasing the build
> data and software as OS until you send out the
> first wave of Peachy Kits (non beta tester kits)?
>
> Andy.

Im not quite sure what your asking.

I can tell you this
My code is compete chicken scratch. Its great that I was able to
write it well enough prove to the world that the peachy can work.
James Cooper(read his bio on the kickstarter page) will re write it and we will relice on git hub it as freedom respecting (and open)
slightly before sending out any beta tester kits. Same goes for the 3d files/ g-code for making the peachy.

Most of our beta testers want to help improve the peachy... not simply test it out
They are coders, hackers, makers etc
We want to enable them to help.
Having said that reliceing what we have now would be a nightmare for collaboration.
Its far from clean enough to build on.

Hope that makes sence

Rylan Grayston
September 29, 2013 02:47AM
Hi Rylan,

What I was trying to articulate is how does your open source ethics fit with a business model where you sell the opportunity to be beta testers?

Surely open source would allow anyone with the means and the inclination to make versions of what you've designed? The open source community could then upload their modified designs and hacks to tinternet effectively suggesting improvement to the design in a way beta testing would have for closed source companies seeing how end users coped with their r&d output.

Does this lead to the assumption that data release for the open source code and hardware will not be timed by the development but by the delivery to customers?

Would the beta testers be happy if a hacker were making a version of the design before (or immidiately after) they received their beta test unit?

Wrt data quality on cad models and code:
I don't think anyone in the community would hold mistakes against you on models or poorly structured or commented code.

My programming is terrible and usually no more than rehashes or mash ups.
October 04, 2013 04:53PM
I don't think it matters if beta testers have to pay 500 to get 2 kits as long as the files are released as promised. They will be doing it because they want to not because they have to to get a printer. Open Source is not about free its about freedom.
October 10, 2013 02:45PM
It kind of does matter, we've spoken about pitfalls of patent system.

Here's a hypothetical situation:
Peachy is getting GREAT press coverage, but full public disclosure has not been made.

Now what if there is a patent troll looking at this branch off who decides to look closer and realised a problem that would be coming out in beta testing. The patent troll could then file a patent application and basically stop Rylan from using the system necessary to fix the problem.

Now even if Peachy Printer were to solve that problem with either software or hardware, if its not obviously been disclosed or if it does not yet exist then the patent could derail a whole area of the peachy printers operations.

This is less likely with mature RepRap systems than brand new approaches like Rylan has.

The potential for this happening will massively increase the linger the designs aren't released for.

I have backed Peachy and I hope it goes on to exceed all expectations, but if something is open source it should be in public domain as soon as humanly possible.

All the best,

Andy.
October 24, 2013 04:24AM
Hi Rylan,

I am a tech author and (one of the first) KS backers. I really liked your innovative concept and the simplicity of the system - well we all know that there will be "details" that have be solved.
One thing I am interested in is HOW you got the idea, using saltwater as a Z-axis? Can you tell the community something about that "magic moment"?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/24/2013 04:25AM by maboo.

Blogs:
Meine 3D Druck Abenteuer
[3dptb.blogspot.de]
FLSUN Delta Drucker für Deutschland
[flsun-deutschland.blogspot.com]
Books on 3D patents:
[goo.gl] (english)
[www.amazon.de] (deutsch)
January 13, 2014 06:49AM
andysuth
Now what if there is a patent troll looking at this branch off who decides to look closer and realised a problem that would be coming out in beta testing. The patent troll could then file a patent application and basically stop Rylan from using the system necessary to fix the problem.

Now even if Peachy Printer were to solve that problem with either software or hardware, if its not obviously been disclosed or if it does not yet exist then the patent could derail a whole area of the peachy printers operations.

This is less likely with mature RepRap systems than brand new approaches like Rylan has.

The potential for this happening will massively increase the linger the designs aren't released for.

I have backed Peachy and I hope it goes on to exceed all expectations, but if something is open source it should be in public domain as soon as humanly possible.

All the best,

Andy.
It took me a while to understand what you were getting at with this post, but speaking as an experienced tech spec, (1) you're right that it is a risk, and I have drafted at least one patent application for exactly that situation (related to cellphone signaling protocols), but (2) there really isn't anything that you can do about it, because the same is true even if the problems are disclosed openly. Solving technical problems is part of what the patent system is designed to reward. In point of fact, Peachy's method of limited disclosure is less likely to result in problems, because the beta testers are a smaller group.

The problem may be solvable through contract, for example by having beta testers sign an agreement automatically assigning patent rights for inventions derived from the beta testing program to the Peachy Foundation (or whatever they're calling it).
January 13, 2014 06:57AM
BTW, I may as well post my question in the existing thread -- will Peachy's circuitry and mirror hardware be "open"? After reading the website a few times, I'm still not clear on what they plan to disclose publicly. I would very much like to be able to use the mirror system to implement Myhrvold's "photonic fence". I don't mind buying two (or three, or five) Peachies, but really would like to get something soon because the damn mosquitos here are already unbearable and the mosquito season hasn't even started yet. It's going to be a bad year. sad smiley

Unfortunately, IV and Myhrvold are too busy making sure that their gadget can be given away free in Africa (after the first world pays them for production) to bother with actually selling the things to paying customers, sort of like the OLPC nonsense of a few years ago.

[www.intellectualventures.com]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login